PDA

View Full Version : Flop the nuts vs a large field

Muisyle
03-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 ($24)
MP1 ($24.4)
MP2 ($18.15)
Hero ($24.75)
CO ($33.3)
Button ($2.9)
SB ($73.75)
BB ($45.3)
UTG ($28.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, CO calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.25, MP2 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($7.75) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls $3, SB calls $3, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $3.

Turn: ($19.75) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero raises all in $20...

Final Pot: $19.75

This is a bit different from your average post in these forums, since I easily won this hand with little opposition. I'm just trying to learn the mindset of a guy who dominates the game instead of grinds out a small winrate as I have been for most of my poker career.

Ok so I flop the nuts on probably the most unscary board ever. I didn't want to scare anyone out at this point so with no draws (very unlikely straight draws) I made a small bet which happily got called in several places. Ok, now a A4 just got there but I'm not really afraid of that at all. But what to do? I likely still have the field crushed at this point. The pot is $20. I have about $20 left in my stack. I was really torn between betting $10 and just going all in. I wanted to bet $10, but I felt that with so many people in there was likely a flush draw, or a straight draw with some jackass playing Q6s, and that if I bet $20 after betting 3 on the flop it would look like a bluff and someone would pay me off. How do you guys play this flop and turn?

tbach24
03-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Check/call the turn. Push the river. They always think "missed AK"

Muisyle
03-05-2005, 12:23 AM
What if the river is a club or a 4 (gives any ace the straight)?

tbach24
03-05-2005, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about a club. If they hit their straight, they hit their straight. I think you make more by checking it here and pushing the river.

Muisyle
03-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I think you're right, I guess I'm just a bit too risk averse and want to get my money in when I'm an assured favorite.

soah
03-05-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish always put you on a hand that they can beat. That's why they're fish. You could push the flop and they'd still put you on AK. Slowplaying at these stakes is pointless.

TheWorstPlayer
03-05-2005, 12:33 AM
There have been a few threads recently about bluffing on Party poker. The one I liked the best was by BobboFitos. It was titled "Don't bluff at Party . . " and then the text said " . . they will call." And he is dead right. So bet more on the flop and push the turn. They will call. With a draw. With a weak queen. With a pair of 2s. Just bet and bet. Forget deception. When you likely have the best hand, put money into the pot.

tbach24
03-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Nah man, that wasn't Rob. Rob's not clever enough for that. I think it was...uh...Amoeba? Yeah, that was a cool post. And you're right.

tbach24
03-05-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish always put you on a hand that they can beat. That's why they're fish. You could push the flop and they'd still put you on AK. Slowplaying at these stakes is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. I think I'm developing an acute case of FPS.

soah
03-05-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah man, that wasn't Rob. Rob's not clever enough for that. I think it was...uh...Amoeba? Yeah, that was a cool post. And you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

still wrong (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1629517&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1)

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Damn, knew it was one of the SSNL elite. I actually almost put your name down, but I remembered that it was at a time where you weren't posting as much.

TheWorstPlayer
03-05-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

still wrong (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1629517&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]
well, he may have been right about BF not being clever enough for that post. And, fine, I should have searched for it or just left out the name of the poster since it wasn't important, but I coulda sworn it was BF. Anyways, apologies to to Mr. Wayfare and thanks for posting the link. The initial point, of course still stands that OP should just bet more on the flop and then push the turn. "They call."

soah
03-05-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, knew it was one of the SSNL elite. I actually almost put your name down, but I remembered that it was at a time where you weren't posting as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong about that too. =P

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong about that too. =P

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck.

jimdmcevoy
03-05-2005, 01:48 AM
I'd probably check/call this flop. But given that you bet the flop, I bet $15 on the turn. It's the same thing as going all in, but it arouses more suspicion in my experience.

BobboFitos
03-05-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to take credit for it too...