PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 12:14 AM
I will only put ketchup on french fries, hash browns, fried potatoes, meatloaf, potato chips, and hamburgers. Most people I know are far more liberal in their usage of ketchup; they'll eat it on eggs, fish, even (god forbid) chicken nuggets. Many commit the ultimate sin of eating ketchup on a hotdog or corndog.

What sorts of weird things will you guys put ketchup on?

tbach24
03-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Any potato product (even mashed potatos). Everything fried (except chicken). Any chicken I deem to dry. Eggs. I use excessive amounts, too.

TimM
03-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Ever hear of Bagel Dogs? I used to put ketchup on those.

rusellmj
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
The ulimate sin is when it is applied to a good steak. The foods you mention are junk foods, which is where it belongs.

Russ

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The ulimate sin is when it is applied to a good steak. The foods you mention are junk foods, which is where it belongs.

Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting ketchup on a good steak is a mortal sin, but is not the ultimate sin. But this is an inside thing with my friends and I anyway, so in general I would agree with you.

Dubra
03-05-2005, 12:43 AM
anything with meat/eggs/potatoes/bread

i love ketchup

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Edit: When I was a pothead, I would put ketchup and/or mayonnaise on Ritz crackers. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Benal
03-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Just use tomato soup. So much better. Kid from my school eats a ketchup sandwich everyday for lunch.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me.

Benal
03-05-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope.. you should try it

Rushmore
03-05-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many commit the ultimate sin of eating ketchup on a hotdog or corndog.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, now, I got crucified for saying that it is sacreligious to put ketchup on a hot dog. Everyone called my some sort of epicurian elitist or something, or just [censored] for short.

I have also been torn to pieces for my great love of the band TOOL, who I see you too are very fond of.

You should be prepared for a life of being scorned at 2+2, if you believe those who put ketchup on a hotdog should be shot (as I do), and also feel that TOOL far exceeds all other bands on the planet (which I do).

If not exactly SCORN, then certainly a bit of disdain.

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Eggs. It's a must.

pshreck
03-05-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

OK, now, I got crucified for saying that it is sacreligious to put ketchup on a hot dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you grow up where you learned to feel this way? I have never heard of it being wrong to put ketchup on a hotdog. In fact, I would put it just behind burgers and fries as the thing Americans would most likely put ketchup on.

quadzilla
03-05-2005, 01:10 AM
I put it in Chili.

Oski
03-05-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, now, I got crucified for saying that it is sacreligious to put ketchup on a hot dog. Everyone called my some sort of epicurian elitist or something, or just [censored] for short.

I have also been torn to pieces for my great love of the band TOOL, who I see you too are very fond of.

You should be prepared for a life of being scorned at 2+2, if you believe those who put ketchup on a hotdog should be shot (as I do), and also feel that TOOL far exceeds all other bands on the planet (which I do).

[/ QUOTE ]

NO KETCHUP on a hotdog. As Dirty Harry Callahan said (of course, with a sneer), "What kind of man puts ketchup on a hotdog?"

Soul Daddy
03-05-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]
Scrambled eggs, to be sure.

pshreck
03-05-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... this is fine, but ketchup mixed with liquid yolk sounds quite awful.

3rdEye
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been one to shy away from espousing my strongly held beliefs, one of which is that eating ketchup on a hotdog is at least as bad as voluntarily sticking a hot curling iron in your ass. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But thanks for the support.

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually is probably the greatest tasting thing on earth. Try it. I guarantee that you'll like it.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had ketchup on scrambled eggs, and it's not bad; it's just not my bag.

I'd much rather put cheese or hot sauce (or both) on eggs.

Benal
03-05-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually quite tasty.. ketchup mixed with liquid yolk makes for excellent toast dunking.

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had ketchup on scrambled eggs, and it's not bad; it's just not my bag.

I'd much rather put cheese or hot sauce (or both) on eggs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Omelette this one slide /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Yugoslavian
Ketchup is best straight up homey.

Yugoslav
Straight reppin' Oaktizzy

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually quite tasty.. ketchup mixed with liquid yolk makes for excellent toast dunking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or for dipping the white part of the egg into it. Or for hash brown dipping. Or bagel and cream cheese dipping. Anything really. It's amazingly good.

EliteNinja
03-05-2005, 01:18 AM
It's great on rice.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I put it in Chili.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I can see how that might be good, but I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good bowl of chili.

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I order my eggs sunny side up, I then apply an even coat of ketchup on the top, cut around the yolk removing all the white and proceed to slurp it into my mouth. This process makes my wife sick, but damn it is good.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's great on rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I get a lot of heat from one of my friends because I like eating sugar rice (hell, I grew up on it).

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any chicken I deem to dry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to agree with the potato products but on chicken I switch to mustard.

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Mustard on chicken...when it's not honey mustard??? I couldn't bring myself to doing this. I put mustard on all sandwiches though. I HATE MAYO!!!!

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's great on rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which type of rice?

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you believe those who put ketchup on a hotdog should be shot (as I do)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that may be anti-american.

My dog consists of
ketchup
mustard (spicy prefered)
relish
kraut
and if I have them a dill pickle wedge.

Now thats a dog!

Oski
03-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Corrected Dirty Harry Quote from "Sudden Impact"

[ QUOTE ]
Harry: God this stuff isn't getting to me - the shootings, the knifings, the beatings. Old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks. Nah that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hotdogs! Nobody - I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog!"?

[/ QUOTE ]

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you believe those who put ketchup on a hotdog should be shot (as I do)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that may be anti-american.

My dog consists of
ketchup
mustard (spicy prefered)
relish
kraut
and if I have them a dill pickle wedge.

Now thats a dog!

[/ QUOTE ]

Minus the ketchup, that is nearly the ideal hotdog. Although I would probably add diced onion, and/or maybe horseradish (assuming it isn't horseradish mustard).

stanky
03-05-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get a lot of heat from one of my friends because I like eating sugar rice (hell, I grew up on it).

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were your friend I'd give you hell too, sugar rice,that sounds so white trash.

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Eggs as stated earlier
corn beef hash
hash browns
HOTDOGS
fried potatoes
french fries (which i do not eat anymore but if i did they would require ketchup)
perogies
kabasi
bologna sandwich
pasty (only wisconsin people know of this)
brats
and the number one item to require ketchup is a 30$ steak in a nice restaurant

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get a lot of heat from one of my friends because I like eating sugar rice (hell, I grew up on it).

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were your friend I'd give you hell too, sugar rice,that sounds so white trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, and we were, white trash. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But it's just one of those things that I still like (or I guess I still like it; I haven't had it in years).

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although I would probably add diced onion

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I forgot the onion, gotta have the onion.

tbach24
03-05-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bologna sandwich

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] is wrong with you?

stanky
03-05-2005, 01:32 AM
I don't know about the rest of the country but if your in Chicago, putting ketchup on a hotdog will get you kicked in the nuts.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs as stated earlier
corn beef hash
hash browns
HOTDOGS
fried potatoes
french fries (which i do not eat anymore but if i did they would require ketchup)
perogies
kabasi
bologna sandwich
brats
and the number one item to require ketchup is a 30$ steak in a nice restaurant

[/ QUOTE ]

The thought of ketchup on a bologna sandwich almost makes me physically ill.

Only cheese and mustard OR mayo should be put on a bologna sandwich, unless you're eating the fancy, thick deli-style bologna, in which case lettuce and tomato are also recommended, and mayo should be preferred over mustard.

I freaking love run-on sentences.

EDIT: Miracle Whip is also acceptable.
EDIT: Was that actually a run-on sentence?

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the rest of the country but if your in Chicago, putting ketchup on a hotdog will get you kicked in the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another reason why I hope I get into U. of Chicago Law next year.

Slacker13
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dude, i was born and raised in Wisconsin, ketchup goes on everything.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dude, i was born and raised in Wisconsin, ketchup goes on everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all this time I thought it was cheese.

stanky
03-05-2005, 01:36 AM
How about bread? I use to work with this guy that grew up dirt poor and he use to eat his bread with butter and sugar.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about bread? I use to work with this guy that grew up dirt poor and he use to eat his bread with butter and sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, never had bread that way.

Besides, we weren't "dirt poor," just lower-middle class. My parents were teenagers when I was born, if that helps you understand.

Actually, I imagine that the reason my mom made sugar rice was less because we weren't that well-off than because she also grew up eating it. My maternal grandparents *did* grow up dirt poor, in Jellico, Tennessee and I'm sure my mom learned to make sugar rice from my grandmother.

stanky
03-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Alright I'll give it a try. Do you just add the sugar after the rice is cooked or do you dissolve the sugar it the water then cook the rice in the water. And I'm sry if I came off as a dick, I was just goofin on ya.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright I'll give it a try. Do you just add the sugar after the rice is cooked or do you dissolve the sugar it the water then cook the rice in the water. And I'm sry if I came off as a dick, I was just goofin on ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm honestly not sure; I've never made it myself. You might be able to google it? The way I remember the taste, though, I imagine it was mixed into the rice after it was cooked.

And no, you didn't come off as a dick. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mr pink
03-05-2005, 02:10 AM
ketchup is good

jakethebake
03-05-2005, 02:53 AM
french fries. most anything else is better with salsa or gravy.

jakethebake
03-05-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eggs. It's a must.

[/ QUOTE ]
salsa's much better.

cab4656
03-05-2005, 02:57 AM
I hate ketchup on anything except hamburgers.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
french fries. most anything else is better with salsa or gravy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gravy is drastically underrated.

jimdmcevoy
03-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I'll tell you Americans what you are missing out on:

chicken salt.

that is all

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you Americans what you are missing out on:

chicken salt.

that is all

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate? I've heard of crab salt, but not chicken salt.

[censored]
03-05-2005, 03:11 AM
Milk

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Milk

[/ QUOTE ]

You own.

jimdmcevoy
03-05-2005, 03:13 AM
sure

I guess it tastes like chicken skin from a barbecued chicken, and of course like salt also. It looks just like salt, but either yellow or green very very good on chips (fries)

IggyWH
03-05-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sure

I guess it tastes like chicken skin from a barbecued chicken, and of course like salt also. It looks just like salt, but either yellow or green very very good on chips (fries)

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicken Salt just sounds like a season salt.

jimdmcevoy
03-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Yeah I guess it is, but IMO it kicks the arse of any other seasoning salt

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mustard on chicken...when it's not honey mustard??? I couldn't bring myself to doing this. I put mustard on all sandwiches though. I HATE MAYO!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The best sauce that McDonald's has for their chicken McNuggets is the Hot Mustard sauce.

daryn
03-05-2005, 04:33 AM
i will eat ketchup or mustard on ANYTHING.

not that i always use it, just that i always deem it acceptable. i'll put anything else on anything too, like sweet sauce, teriyaki, whatever.

i also eat anything.

i am, without a doubt, the least picky eater in the world. and i hate everyone who is picky.

Ulysses
03-05-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chocolate brownie w/ vanilla ice cream + ketchup (about the same amount as you would use of hot fudge). Sounds weird I know, but don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

beerbandit
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
ive seen people put it on scram eggs ---- that is weird

pizza rolls

i think it good, everyone else thinks its weird

also grilled cheese

both dunked, not applied

cheers

beerbandit
03-05-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we have pasties in mich and i like them, id rather put gravy on it then ketchup thats for sure

[ QUOTE ]
bologna sandwich

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesnt sound good at all

cheers

beerbandit
03-05-2005, 11:23 AM
ive also seen people put ketchup on mac and cheese

no spank you

beerbandit
03-05-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chocolate brownie w/ vanilla ice cream + ketchup (about the same amount as you would use of hot fudge). Sounds weird I know, but don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think someone is going to do this, nice try though

tbach24
03-05-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive also seen people put ketchup on mac and cheese

no spank you

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually really good on Mac and Cheese. Not kraft or annie's, but if the homemade stuff comes a bit dry, ketchup works so well.

beerbandit
03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
i really like mac and cheese
i really like ketchup

seems right
but im scared to combine the two, i feel the outcome could be devastating

cheers

Ice Man
03-05-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

not that i always use it, just that i always deem it acceptable. i'll put anything else on anything too, like sweet sauce, teriyaki, whatever.

i also eat anything.

i am, without a doubt, the least picky eater in the world. and i hate everyone who is picky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cut back on the Ketchup, you might get rid of your "Bitch Tits."

deacsoft
03-05-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of those sinners. I also dip plain potato chips in ketchup.

AEKDBet
03-05-2005, 04:27 PM
peanuts.
salad.

DVC Calif
03-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Sounds weird... but I like cottage cheese with a little ketchup.

htc1278
03-05-2005, 06:49 PM
I hate ketchup but I LOVE it on my Mac'n'cheese. Anything else that ketchup can go on BBQ sauce can go on better. Ketchup and Grilled cheese the ketchup is optional. NEVER PUT KETCHUP ON A HOT DOG--hot dogs should have mustard, onions, tomaton slices, cucumber slices, celery salt, and some relish. And for your Maxwell Street polish sausage you need sauerkraut and mustard...yummy... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

felson
03-05-2005, 06:59 PM
why ketchup tastes good (http://www.gladwell.com/archive.html)

long article. see sept 6 entry.

skipperbob
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Dog-turds & rat poop

anisotropy
03-06-2005, 12:51 AM
My brother-in-law has this t-shirt. And it's not very far from the truth.

http://home.comcast.net/~sgrealis1/ketchup.jpg

lighterjobs
03-06-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any potato product (even mashed potatos). Everything fried (except chicken). Any chicken I deem to dry. Eggs. I use excessive amounts, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also use a lot of ketchup. at restaurants i usually go through a bottle and the waiters look at me like I am some sort of crook for eating the free condiments.

3rdEye
03-06-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i also eat anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not at all picky about *what* I eat, but I am picky about what I'll put on it.

3rdEye
03-06-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who am I to argue with a guy with 10,000 posts?

SwordFish
03-06-2005, 06:56 AM
From The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (http://www.hot-dog.org/facts/hd_etiquette.htm)

[ QUOTE ]
Hot Dog Etiquette Dos and Don'ts: Everyday guidance for eating America's sacred food.......

Don't...
use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Hot Dog stands in Chicago will refuse to put ketchup on a hot dog. If you really must have it, you will have to take the little ketchup packets and add it yourself.

SF

Shajen
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't...
use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Hot Dog stands in Chicago will refuse to put ketchup on a hot dog. If you really must have it, you will have to take the little ketchup packets and add it yourself.

SF

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF???? This is the way it goes:

Ketchup down one side of the dog, spicy mustard down the other. Onions on one side, relish on the other. Enjoy.

Uppity [censored] hot dog vendors. DUDE, YOU SELL HOTDOGS FOR A LIVING.

The only time I ever have a problem with someone's ketchup use is when they put it on a steak.

jar
03-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't use much ketchup. The main reason is that I grew up on homemade ketchup, so the store bought stuff just tastes like crap to me. I pretty much never eat commercial ketchup on anything but fast food burgers and things like that. When I'm at my parents house, I'll use homemade ketchup on things like hamburgers, meatloaf, scrabled eggs, scrapple, etc.

codewarrior
03-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Hot sauce is for eggs.