PDA

View Full Version : Final 3, chance to bust the shortstack.

poker-penguin
03-04-2005, 10:29 PM
OK, I'm not going to post a hand history, because the exact cards aren't important here. I'm more interested in the general principles behind my two options.

We're at the 500/1000 Level (Blinds 250/500) of a Party SNG - limit holdem

Mid Stack has 2990
Short Stack has 490
Hero - Big Stack has 4520

Hero has the button and is dealt a decent but not great hand (K8o)
Mid Stack posts small blind (250)
Short Stack posts big blind (490) and is all in

Raise or call?

The way I saw it:

Mid Stack had enough chips to be able to play at me post-flop and seriously hurt me if I end up second best. So, I'd prefer him out of the pot.

K8 is a decent hand, but definately not great. I'd prefer to play it against a random hand than one that has put even half a bet in.

If I raise, then if he decides to put money in, I have a better idea where I am (probably behind).

So, is raising the right thing to do in this situation? Knocking shortstack out means I get at least 2nd, and puts me headsup (which I am fairly good at). Sure, calling so Mid Stack can limp and check it down with me, gives more of a chance to bust shortstack - IF mid stack doesn't make a bluff at me (I'd been aggressive most of the time, so checking might suggest weakness).

If this had been a higher level (not $10+1) I might have called and trusted Mid to be sensible enough to check it down. But I'm not sure even then.

So, what would you do in similar situations?

raptor517
03-04-2005, 10:38 PM
even in higher games they are sensible enough to call and check it down. a bet usually means considerable strength. call.

ZebraAss
03-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Yep.

Myst
03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
This isnt a raise/call situation. This is a raise/fold situation.

I think this is an easy push.

callmedonnie
03-05-2005, 12:32 AM
I call here. A bluff here doesn't make sense from the other player. If he has nothing he obviously folds. With average hand (say J10) he calls and checks down if he doesn't hit. That way other player is eliminated. Even if he wins three way pot you have plenty of leverage to win tourney. I would be more concerned with eliminating third player, and letting heads up play commence. Unless you have a read on this guy as a complete wild card (and he would have to be to bluff) you will find out the strength of your hand immediately: If he folds you showdown with small stack, a raise shows you are beat, and a call gives you two the chance to eliminate the other guy. For me, this is a standard call.

Mr_J
03-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Does anyone else here want shortstack to stay alive? I'm not interested in busting him, I'd prefer he stay alive so I can keep the pressure on SB (vs most opponents anyway).

Myst
03-05-2005, 02:20 PM
With the blinds that high, you dont want to keep hiim around, b/c two won hands and hes the new chip leader.

Phil Van Sexton
03-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I must be missing something. This is a raise. A raise will likely get the SB fold hands better than K8. If the SB folds, you are betting 490 to win 740. That's pretty sweet with K8 vs a random hand.

If the SB has a monster, you'll likely get to keep most of your chips....and he'll knock out the BB.