PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss 4 Big Bets?

Jimbo
09-19-2002, 03:45 PM
10/20 game, I am in the cutoff. UTG +1 raises, all fold to me and I three bet with AA, he calls, 2 of us see the flop of Ad 8h 4d. He bets I raise, he 3 bets and I cap. Turn is the 8d, he bets I smooth call. River is the Qd, he bets I raise, he thinks a long time and calls. I show my hand and after he mucks he told me I missed 4 big bets because he had As Kd and put me on QQ with the Qd in my hand until the river.

This player is pretty solid, regularly plays 15/30 and higher and rarely gets "too" far out of line. Was he just letting off steam with his comment or is there any way possible I missed 4 bets here? Against a weaker player I would have raised the turn not attempting to disguise my hand expecting to be paid for every bet and perhaps get a reraise from an AK on the turn and perhaps three bets on the river. Against him I still feel I extracted the maximum. All comments welcome.

I could have presented this hand differently and found a way to post results in a later post but my goal is for you to put yourself in my place with all the information in the same chronological sequence.

Jimbo

09-19-2002, 06:14 PM
I 3-bet pre-flop. Then I raise the flop. Twice. Now he still bets the turn when another 8 comes, a diamond 8. I'd put him on a big hand and raise. Maybe he has Kd-Qd, maybe Ax-Kd or Ax-Qd, or even A-8s and maybe he raises me back. And maybe a card will come on the river that will stifle further action.

I like to put the pedal to the floor on the turn when I've got a monster.

el gato
09-19-2002, 06:26 PM
Aside from the comment your opponent made, why not raise the turn simply to get more money from him. From the amount of action you got pre-flop and on the flop, there is little chance your opponent would fold on the turn for one raise. Whether he would have given you "4 big bets" is irrelevant, you want to extract the maximum. The only reason for flat calling on the turn would be is if you put your opponent on hand like JJ or QQ and he would fold to a raise.

Jimbo
09-19-2002, 06:39 PM
el gato,

Thanks for your response but that is what I thought I did, extract the maximum. I reasoned (whether correctly or not) if I raise the turn he will check call on the river at best and fold at the worst. If he does check call I make the same as played in the manner I did so it washes out. If I get a baby diamond on the river which was what I was hoping for, either that or a King I expect to make 4 bets on the river instead of two. I do not believe he would have called my raise on the turn and bet out on the river much less as he implied three bet me on the turn. Perhaps because I would not do that with the hand I put him on (quite accurately I may add). Is my thinking all wrong here? Do solid players three bet on a paired/flushed board with top pair top kicker when it was three bet to them preflop and raised on the flop?

Jimbo

yct
09-19-2002, 08:32 PM
I don't think you miss 4 big bets, but I think you may have missed 2 big bets. Since you've played really aggressive on the flop, the opponent probably did not put you on set of aces, since he also held another ace. I think you should raise the turn and if your opponent is aggressive enough, he'll 3 bet and you'd cap. He would probably also check call the river, so the most you gain 2 big bets this way.