PDA

View Full Version : What is the defense to the All In bettor

PktAcesSoWht
03-04-2005, 09:23 PM
this is 10+1 sng. Poker Stars---I entered heads up about 2300 to 11200. After I got up on the guy 7200 to 6300 he started going all in when he was in the SB and I limped. Occasionally I did call his all in earlier and that is how I doubled up twice to get ahead of him. Many times he would go all in and then show TT, 99 AK. This style really is frustrating, because I don't want to get blown out of first the one time he has something. I finally call his all in when I was down to 2800 with 300/600 blinds with T9 and he turns over AT.

What can you do when someone keeps going all in on you and you just don't have the cards to call, ie. 35, 26, 45,95?

zephed56
03-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Don't limp in from the small blind with a weak hand, it's that simple. He found your weakness and exploited it. I'm assuming the blinds are high, so either raise (to steal his blind) or fold. If you think he will continue this strategy, then limp with your strong hands and call his all-ins. If you think he is capable of folding to a raise preflop, try to steal more.

I don't play sng's anymore, and when I did, I sucked. But this is some general advice that I think may help you.

If you have a weak hand that you limped in with from the small blind, and then folded to his all-in, you should do the exact same thing with a strong hand and see if he'll bite.

And don't be afraid to steal with a weak hand. Heck, it's only 10 dollars.

I think you should cross post this in the 1-table tournament forum. You will probably get better advice there.

Anybody else wanna chime in?

PktAcesSoWht
03-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Well, I pretty much do most of the things you do, except a lot of times the hands I limp with are not that bad, but JT and KT against an all in is bothersome to me. I know he can't have nuts all the time but it seems when I call them they have pairs or AQ.

When I do raise he will go all in as well, and then I have to fold because it isn't a hand I want to hang my game on.

Transference
03-05-2005, 11:00 PM
It sounds like your being way to passive HU to me. Look at it this way, your uncomfortable about getting your chips in with JT and KT, but you ened up calling with 10 9 right? You should be raising marginal hands and never calling with them. Against an aggressive opponent like this I don't limp period. From the sb its raise or fold. Against somone playing like you, I would play exactly as your opponent did, pushing everytime you limped. HU is high variance and can often go either way but the advantage goes to the aggressor.

PktAcesSoWht
03-06-2005, 02:29 PM
thanks for the advice