PDA

View Full Version : Final table play

davidross
03-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Curious what others think about this situation.

FInal table of the Party $100 NL last night. We are down to 7 players and no one is short stacked anymore. BLinds are 2K/4K. 2 stacks over 70K, 4 stacks between 50-55, and 1 at 45K. I'm in the SB and 2+2'er Gonores is in the BB.

We have been together for about an hour now, and have had 1 hand played when I shoved all-in with K3s from the SB when we were down to around 15 players and I had 15K left. He called with A2 which surprised me, and I made a flush to survive.

It's folded to me and I complete with 98o. I'm prepared to fold to a raise here hoping to set him up for a hand when I get something in the same situation. He just calls. Flop is 9c 8c 6c. I don't have a club.

I really didnb't think this through very carefully and I bet 7700. He pushed all-in almost right away.

I knew he'd do this with a big club or a 7, and I'm pretty sure I'm ahead. I called pretty quickly. He had Ac 5h and a 7 riverd to give him a straight. I was so intent on looking for clubs I was shocked to see the huge pot go his way.

SO my question here is would you push all-in hoping to avoid a showdown and win the 8K in the pot, or play it my way and try and win a huge pot? How important is winning chips at this point as opposed to surviving, when the payoffs go up so drastically. At first I was killing myself thinking i should have just overbet and froze him out, but now I think my play was ok, and get it all in as a favorite.

Comments?

billyjex
03-04-2005, 06:44 PM
david, how big is your stack and gonores?

Edit: Even not knowing specific chip counts, I push here and take the pot down because it sounds like gonores will come over the top of you with any decent draw here.

kuro
03-04-2005, 07:02 PM
I think your play was fine. You were hoping to go all-in as a pretty big favorite against a straight draw or a flush draw or a single pair. You ended up all-in as a 57:43 favorite.

Truthfully, I don't know that it would have mattered how you played it. Villain is about a 54:46 favorite to an overpair so I think he's probably right to call you even if you overbet it especially after seeing your k3 push.

DonButtons
03-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Since you completed, you def. have to push this flop. I think later on, there's no more room for post flop play, and its basically a game of all in poker.

I think, the BB should of pushed preflop when you completed, and I dont think you should complete here with 98o, its just asking to get reraised, plus your out of position.

davidross
03-04-2005, 09:14 PM
We both had around 50K I was around 3 K less than him.

davidross
03-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I actually was looking at the 2K to complete as an investment. I thought it might give me a chance to do it again later with a big hand and maybe trap him. Plus sometimes you hit the flop hard and get a chance to lose all your chips /images/graemlins/frown.gif