PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to pronounce "pwned"?

wadea
03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
I know the story behind "pwned", but how is this word pronounced? It doesn't exactly seem to roll off my tongue.
-wadea

Evan
03-04-2005, 06:47 PM
"powned", rhymes with "phoned".

post stuff like this in OOT.

JoshuaD
03-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Why would you ever want to pronounce this word?

Nate tha' Great
03-04-2005, 07:08 PM
I thought it was "pawned" like pawned off, which I think is kind of cooler in a way, although I should say that I think this sort of language is extremely nerdy, even though I'm a nerd myself.

TheMetetron
03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I go with Evan's pronunciation.

sthief09
03-04-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the funniest was hearing brad say PIZOWNORED

jayrutz2
03-04-2005, 07:35 PM
OK, I don't know what if means, I admit it, berate me, but please tell me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

is this a generational thing, I'm 43 !!!!!

pshabi
03-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm 27, and I had no idea what it meant until earlier this week. I heard some of my middle school students saying it and remembered seeing it on the internet from time to time.

What the kid said:

It was a computer game (first-person shooter game or something) and it had a glitch. When you got shot by someone it would say something like, "PShabi just owned you" only the owned was misspelled as "pwned." It was a big game so a lot of people saw it and kept using it and it grew from there.

That's what he said.

Freakin
03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I don't know what if means, I admit it, berate me, but please tell me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

is this a generational thing, I'm 43 !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

From the microsoft guide to leetspeak (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/kidtalk.mspx)

[ QUOTE ]
"pwn": A typo-deliberate version of own, a slang term used to express superiority over others that can be used maliciously, depending on the situation. This could also be spelled "0\/\/n3d" or "pwn3d," among other variations. Online video game bullies or "griefers" often use this term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

Freakin
03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 27, and I had no idea what it meant until earlier this week. I heard some of my middle school students saying it and remembered seeing it on the internet from time to time.

What the kid said:

It was a computer game (first-person shooter game or something) and it had a glitch. When you got shot by someone it would say something like, "PShabi just owned you" only the owned was misspelled as "pwned." It was a big game so a lot of people saw it and kept using it and it grew from there.

That's what he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was from Warcraft (a real time strategy game). But the rest of the story is correct.

pshabi
03-04-2005, 07:55 PM
NERDS

jayrutz2
03-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I am enlightened, and now can pretend to be a gamer as opposed to a poker player. I'll use it next time i win a t pit at the B&M with a bunch of old ladies, it will make me feel hip and young!!!!

Freakin
03-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Just make sure to talk about all the pr0n you look at, and how much teh river has been fux0ring you tonight.

Freakin

SomethingClever
03-04-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pronounce it as if it rhymed with "clowned."

cnfuzzd
03-04-2005, 11:38 PM
"you are intellectually inferior and have a small penis"

peace

john nickle

Freakin
03-05-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like "pound"? Thats so wrong.... I bet my mom would even pronounce it properly....

Freakin

Knoler
03-05-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like "pound"? Thats so wrong.... I bet my mom would even pronounce it properly....

[/ QUOTE ]

SomethingClever == pwned.

hate
03-05-2005, 02:50 AM
WHAT THE [censored] IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, NOBODY SHOULD EVER PRONOUNCE PWNED.

ps, it's pronounced exactly like it looks, "pwned"

JoshuaD
03-05-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Like pound if you were from canada.

TimM
03-05-2005, 03:25 PM
An authoritative answer?

http://www.pwned.nl

pwn = poon?