PDA

View Full Version : Movin on up?

Barcalounger
03-04-2005, 04:53 PM
When the going gets good, the good get greedy...

Had a good run 4 tabling the 33s lately, now my bankroll is begging me to take my game up a notch. The choice is simple, work in more tables or work my way into the 55s? I know Irie has said he prefers 8 tabling the 33s, but what do the rest of you poker freaks think?

skipperbob
03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Go For It /images/graemlins/smirk.gifIrie's theory about difficulty of games increasing as the stakes rise is pure, unadulterated nonsense. For pete's sake; be a man; take a shot at direct buyins to Step 5's /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barcalounger
03-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I knew there was a third option out there somewhere... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lorinda
03-04-2005, 05:04 PM
You're equal 4751st of 4752 players on my pokertracker, so I'm biased /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori

Barcalounger
03-04-2005, 05:08 PM
How am I supposed to win when you're rivering quads all over the place? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lorinda
03-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Good point /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lori

The Yugoslavian
03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
If you have the roll and the willingness to move down if things aren't going according to plan -- sure, move on up. You obviously want to.

Yugoslav

Barcalounger
03-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I didn't mean to start one of those tiresome "I have a 75% ROI over my last 4 tournies, should I move up?" threads. I was actually wondering more about the opinions of moving up versus spreading out. Here's some quick math assuming a 10% drop in ROI when adding 4 more tables, and a 5% drop in ROI when 4 tabling and moving up.

$22 SNG, 4 tables, ROI-30% = $26.40 a set
$33 SNG, 4 tables, ROI-25% = $33.00 a set
$55 SNG, 4 tables, ROI-20% = $44.00 a set ??

$22 SNG, 8 tables, ROI-20% = $35.20 a set ??
$33 SNG, 8 tables, ROI-15% = $39.60 a set ??

The 8 table and $55 tourney numbers are estimates and I have no clue how accurate they are, hence the thread. I was wondering what you thought about the differences in variance and difficulty when adding tables as compared to moving up a buyin level? Too many questions for a Friday afternoon...

The Yugoslavian
03-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, I dunno. I do those sorts of calculations all the time but never put any stock in them b/c I'm not convinced they're very helpful (just fun to dream about the boatloads of money I *could* make if I just played the right way).

So, since you referenced Irie in your OP I'd assume you're thinking of this:

Irie's Rhythm in the Madness II Follow Up (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1586196 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=madness&Searchpage=0&Limit =25&Main=1585225&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=15 228&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&o ldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1586196)

Well, he basically talks about calculations such as yours and decides that $/hr, for him anyway, is still probably better at the $33s than $55s. But, it's worth mentioning that he doesn't feel teh $33s are necessarily optimal (he references the $109s for that). Is the $55 level merely a stepping stone to the higher limits? I think in some ways it is b/c even if you can make more $/hr at the $55s than the $33s, it's likely that it won't be enough to offset the bigger $$ fluctuations and variance you'll have.

But, I'm really just regurgitating an interpretation of what Irie (and a few others) have already posted.

You should ask Eastbay about the $55s vs. $33s. or even Raptor. They both have played obscene amounts of $55s and seem to like it there.

Yugoslav

Apathy
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should ask Eastbay about the $55s vs. $33s. or even Raptor. They both have played obscene amounts of $55s and seem to like it there.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that's really not hard when you 8 table them 24-7 though /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

raptor517
03-04-2005, 09:10 PM
/images/graemlins/wink.gif ok, since i have played obscene amounts of 55s, 33s, and 109s for that matter, i will throw in my input.

apparently for me, the best level is the 55s. i have played around 3k sngs there and have sustained about a 17% roi 4-8 tabling, usually 8 since i got my second monitor. in the 33s i have only played around 1k, but have sustained about an 18% roi. granted, the first 400 or so of those i was damn near dead even as i was adjusting to 8 tables.

in the 109s i hate my life. i have played around 2k of those and have a super solid 8% roi. lets see, i played the last 1k of them breaking even, which was very distressing. that is my breakdown for levels, which shows for ME, the best level is the 55s, however i still believe the 109s would be the optimum level. the first 1k of those i had i think around a 17% roi or so, which would be great to sustain. buuuut over the next 2 weeks i demolished that.

so anyway, what i think that you should do, is get yourself another monitor and begin learning to 8 table at the 33 level. if anything, it will be great experience and wont cost you a whole lot in $/hr, and should actually make you quite a bit more

when you are done with that and you feel comfortable, make the jump up to the 55 level if you feel you have the bankroll. my biggest downswing at that level was just shy of 3k. so be ready for that. it sucks. start out 4 tabling until you feel comfortable, then make the jump to 6 or 8. doing that solid for 1 week playing a lot, you should be able to knock out around 500 or so. playing a WHOLE lot you could get in around 800. i think the most i ever did in a week was like 872.

anyway, as far as sngs go, im not playing them for a week or so. i have been toying around with the new NL cash games, doing quite well. so until i hit a neat little downswing ill probably be playing those pretty hardcore. look for the bebop if you wanna holler at me.

anyway, good luck with the jump in limits, you might be surprised at your results /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barcalounger
03-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the obscene amount of advice, raptor. I've already got a monitor and a video card on the way, and should be in 8 table heaven (or hell) by the end of the week.

Scuba Chuck
03-05-2005, 03:44 AM
Well, I had two sets of 4 tabling on the $55s tonite. It's been a while since I've taken these seriously (if you count tonight serious).

Here are my results, in order:
6th, 7th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 2nd, 1st

-ROI, -9%

Anyway, I've got a few thoughts that I might post soon.

One last thought. It appears that the only real TRICK move that you need to watch out for is the level 4+ limp. This is a for sure hidden dragon (AA). I think I saw this move at least 12 times, over the 8 games. And those are just the ones they flipped the cards over.

raptor517
03-05-2005, 03:47 AM
/images/graemlins/wink.gif believe me, it will be quite a bit of both. enjoy