PDA

View Full Version : A theory of internet poker

sfer
03-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Assuming the typical multi-donking 2+2er VPIP is within the range of 15-22, the number of tables played on average is inversely related to VPIP. Loosely accurate at 4-8 tables, very accurate at 8+. Agree?

bdk3clash
03-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Do you mean that the average/typical 1-tabler plays more hands than the average/typical 8-tabler, or that a given player will tend to play less hands while 8-tabling than while 1-tabling?

Personally, I don't think my hand selction varies based on the number of tables I'm playing. It's more a function of how frisky and other factors.

I've seen people discuss multi-tabling as a solution to boredom-induced tilt, but that's never really been a problem for me.

BottlesOf
03-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't get it.

pudley4
03-04-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the typical multi-donking 2+2er VPIP is within the range of 15-22, the number of tables played on average is inversely related to VPIP. Loosely accurate at 4-8 tables, very accurate at 8+. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 15/9 at 5/10 (full) and 4 tables. Are 8-tablers even tighter??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I guess I vote "no"

Nate tha' Great
03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I think this is true for the small stakes players, but not as true for the 15/30 players, although I "only" 4-table, and I'm a LAG, so what do I know?

Greg J
03-04-2005, 04:39 PM
My one table vpip is ~18. My four table vpip is ~15. If I have Q9s in LP I am less apt to hit autofold on a single table (unless I am at a table where I can blind steal, in which case I will raise from LP if it's folded to me). I don't play more than 4 tables at once.

sfer
03-04-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprising.

sfer
03-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Possibly both but I was thinking more along the lines of the more hands you get per hour the less you look for marginally profitable situations because you're more likely to get a bigger one shortly. For example, I would be shocked if experienced live players aren't substantially looser near the button than experienced multi-tablers.

QTip
03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I do find that when I'm not multitabling, I do look for excuses to get in a hand. The A6s hand I just posted was a perfect example of that. I just got off a stretch of days where I was 8 tabling micro to clear bonuses. Then I went back to SS and was only playing 2 tables....made an excuse to get more loose.

toss
03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Very interesting. True but not for all multitablers I'd say.

QTip
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I have Q9s in LP I am less apt to hit autofold on a single table

[/ QUOTE ] I found that to be the case for me as well. I've quit using the auto buttons for PF play when I'm multitabling and wait until it's my turn to act. Too many times I would have Q9s in the CO and watch UTG, UTG +1 fold and click autofold and run to another table. Only to look back and see MP1, 2 and 3 in the flop.

nolanfan34
03-04-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Possibly both but I was thinking more along the lines of the more hands you get per hour the less you look for marginally profitable situations because you're more likely to get a bigger one shortly. For example, I would be shocked if experienced live players aren't substantially looser near the button than experienced multi-tablers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet this is true for sure. When I play live, I certainly start playing many more hands near the button, in position, than I would online. Some of that is due to the table being more loose/passive than an online 1/2 or 2/4 game, and another part is because I feel I can outplay live donks post-flop.

But yes, I would bet my VPIP is higher playing fewer tables.

There's even a correlation within the correlation too. I find myself more likely to play a marginal hand online if I happen to not be involved in a hand AT THAT MOMENT on my other 2 or 3 tables.

I find that's a good recipe for immediately being dealt 2 or 3 other good/marginal hands on my other tables. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cnfuzzd
03-04-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all those fish? dude, you are a total man-whore...

peace

john nickle

BottlesOf
03-04-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhhhh...Predictable, even.

sthief09
03-04-2005, 05:45 PM
I've never thought to myself, "hmm I'm playing 7 tables so I better fold this marginal hand." maybe I should but I don't. I don't adjust well to anything. I more or less have my game and I play it. I don't adjust well to better or worse players (aside from isolating bad players or adjusting to a LAG) or table image or anything like that. the only reason I might play more hands if I were to 2 tabling is because I'd get bored

MicroBob
03-04-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's even a correlation within the correlation too. I find myself more likely to play a marginal hand online if I happen to not be involved in a hand AT THAT MOMENT on my other 2 or 3 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

(raises hand)

Tosh
03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Heh I tink Sfer's first choice of avatar for you was less sickening.

jtr
03-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Absolutely. Please try harder in the next challenge, sthief: that is painful to look at.

lostinthought
03-05-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

universally not applicable, but when applicable painfully obvious.

what's the point?

colgin
03-05-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to think so, although if we are only talking about 2-4 tables I doubt the effect is very pronounced. At 6+ it may be more so.

bunky9590
03-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Huh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe I need another cup of coffee, but....

I don't get it.

DrPhysic
03-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't play more than 4 tables, but I find the effect very pronounced at 1 vs 4 tables. Playing only 1 table I get bored and am more likely to play a marginal hand or push a tiny edge. Playing 4, I am busier, less opportunity to get bored/try to drum up some action, therefore fold the marginal hand almost always. I have no doubt that VP$IP is lower for me 4 tabling. VP$IP = 18-20% 4 tabling instead of estimated 21-23% single tabling.

Doc /images/graemlins/smile.gif