PDA

View Full Version : my conundrum with ace ten (offsuit)

lucas9000
03-04-2005, 02:34 PM
lately, playing the party $50 and $100 6-max nl tables, i have been reluctant to play at, to say the least. i usually just dump it preflop, but if i'm in the co or on the button and it's been folded to me i'll often open-raise with it, looking for the blinds or one caller in the blinds who will fold to a continuation bet on the flop. if the blinds are likely to play back at me or call down my bets with anything, i might not attempt a steal with it.

other than that i really don't play it (at suited i'll play the same way, though i'll limp slightly more, but more for it's flush value than looking to hit a pair on the flop).

so, am i leaving money on the table playing at on 6-max tables like this? is it a hand that's worth more in 6-max games than i'm giving it credit for? any thoughts are appreciated.

lucas9000
03-04-2005, 06:50 PM
desperation bump

DoomSlice
03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I raise with almost any ace when folded to me in the CO or Button (I'm more likely to do it in the CO so it doesn't look like a pure steal). Eventually people will start to look me up, and at that point I wait till I have a real hand to do it again. I guess the point is, open for a raise as much as possible regardless of what cards you have.

lucas9000
03-04-2005, 07:33 PM
i am opening for a raise with it in the co or on the button unless the blinds have given me reason not to. if i didn't mention that in my original post it's my bad.

what about in early position? co or button with a limper before you? blinds when people have only limped in?

Borno
03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I fold ATo everywhere except in CO or button with no limpers in a full ring... as for 6max, I dont play it.. but I'd say you could play it from mp with no limpers as long as you open with a raise.

TheWorstPlayer
03-04-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what about in early position?

[/ QUOTE ]
EP I think is a definite muck, but there was a pretty good discussion about this issue not too long ago called "ATo UTG 6max" or something like that (complete with poll). Seek and ye shall find.
[ QUOTE ]
co or button with a limper before you? blinds when people have only limped in?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is questions like these that makes 6m so fun. Because the answer is 100% 'it depends'. Very much moreso than at full ring, IMO. Who are the limpers? Who are the blinds? Where are the limpers? If the limpers would have raised a better ace, then I'll raise. If the limpers only limp pocket pairs, how do they play them post flop? Will they fold if one over hits? Two overs? Three overs? Etc. It really really depends on the character of the limpers and blinds to determine the correct play here. ATo is not a bad hand, particularly at 6m, particularly against a random assortment of blinds and limpers. But you need to know how tight people are, how likely you are to be dominated, how likely you are to be called by a hand which YOU dominate (particuarly as a blind defense) etc.