PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Please list some psychological ...

SittingBull
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
reqirements that a successful INTERNET player must have?
Just wondering.
SittingBull

Bodhi
03-04-2005, 02:07 PM
The as for a live poker player:

Patience
Discipline
Selective Aggression
Sound Judgement
Self-Confidence

I'm sure someone else can add more.

toots
03-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Here's a big one:

How you respond to someone saying "You played that very poorly."

If you get defensive, you probably don't have the right trait. Doesn't matter who said it, whether they're right, or under what circumstances. If you can't respond to that question with honesty rather than defensiveness, then poker's going to be a long, hard road for you.

riffraff
03-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Years ago I was having a long losing session and a little miffed about getting sucked out in some recent hands. The last one was when my AQs got cracked by a local's 9Qo who had cold called and flopped a 9. There was a showdown and I happened to mention to the guy next to me that I had AQ sooted when the local went off on me.. said something like "You are a whiny little bastard! You play cards like a little girl!" something like that.. I was shocked that the fish was so mad even as he's dragging in the pot.. I thought of a few choice replies but the long session was coming to and end and I wanted to keep playing with him... so I said nothing. It did make me think that maybe I had been doing something wrong about complaining, even if it was mild toned and just to the guy next to me. I mean if I can't keep the fish happy when they're winning, how can I expect to to it when they're losing? It was a good lesson in that almost always the best action is to muck the cards and keep silent.