PDA

View Full Version : Chip leader in one of the 2 last tables in a tourney

Roy__Batty
03-04-2005, 01:21 PM
as i'm reading "Tournament Poker For Advanced Players" from sklansky, i read this (with my words):
If, as often, there's a bump in the prizes for those who reach the final table, u'll see the short stacks of the 2 last tables play extra tight.
That allows the chip leader to play/raise many more hands than usual, allowing him to increase significantly his chips position as long as the 2 tables situation goes on.
So, this may urges the chip leader of one table to make unusual plays, such as folding pocket queens after an early position all in by a small stack.
Yes calling may be a positive EV play BUT this could break the 2 tables and then stop a situation that was very positive for the chip leader.

Anybody have seen somebody make such a play (folding a big hand not to break the table)?
I like the idea but, to be honest, it doesn't look very realistic; I mean one of the smallish stacks will get busted quite quickly anyway, it's not like only the big stack could afford to call a short stack all in.

TStoneMBD
03-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I know that the following hand took place, but I'm not sure where it took place of what source I read about it from. I believe it took place in the Ultimate Poker Challenge and was discussed in a Cardplayer article:

Down to the final 11 players of the tournament and the chip leader looked down at AA and neglected to play it against an allin player preflop. Apparently, somehow the cards got flipped over after he mucked them. I believe an angry player grabbed them out of the muck and flipped them over. There was a large commotion, and the chip leader was accused of collusion with the allin player. The chip leader argued that he folded his aces preflop because he was running over the table, and didnt want to bust anybody because he felt he would win more chips having the tournament stay at 11 players than the amount of chips hed win by busting the short stack. Everyone thought that it made sense, and the person who wrote about it from whatever source it was, agreed with the player entirely, and thought it was correct to fold his aces.

Roy__Batty
03-04-2005, 04:06 PM
tyvm for this testimonial TStone.
I guess it's one of the "details" that make the difference between a good player and a champ.
There are so many parameters to take into account in a tourney. So fascinating!