PDA

View Full Version : Graphs: Finally got them.

garion888
03-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey all,

I've been using pokertracker for a while and i've noticed the lack of graphs. So I went searching and figured out a way to make them.

For this to work you need.

1. Pokertracker
2. Microsoft Access
3. Microsoft Excel

Here's some instructions and my graphs.

1. Start by turning off Pokertracker so it doesn't interfere with any of your databases while you're doing this.

3. Make a copy of the database you want to make graphs for.

2. Start up Microsoft Access and open your copied database.

3. There should be a window that opens inside access with a menu on the left. Click Queries.

4. Double Click "Create query in Design view"

5. In the upper left hand corner just below the file menu there will be a button with "SQL" on it. Click this button.

6. Now you will have a window with the text "SELECT;" in it. Delete this text and paste in the following text.

[ QUOTE ]
SELECT
game.date_played, game_players.total_bet,
game_players.total_won, game_players.hole_card_1, game_players.hole_card_2, game.flop_1,
game.flop_2, game.flop_3, game.turn, game.river,
game.winning_hand, game_players.final_hand
FROM
game game, game_players game_players
WHERE
game_players.game_id = game.game_id
AND game_players.played_hand='Y'
AND game_players.player_id=
(select pref_value from prefs where pref_key = 'RP')
ORDER BY game.date_played

[/ QUOTE ]

7. On the query menu, select "Run".

8. Now you will have a window columns. The columns run Date, total bet, total won, etc.

9. Select the total bet and total won columns and copy them(Ctrl-C).

10. Open Excel. Select Cell B1 and Paste in the data you copied from Access(Ctrl-V). Now the B column will be total_bet, and the C Column will be total_won.

11. In cell D1 type "Net Won". In D2 type the formula [ QUOTE ]
=C2-B2

[/ QUOTE ]

12. Now drag the black box at the lower right hand corner of cell D2 all the way down to the bottom of your hands.

13. In Cell E1 type "Sums". In E2 type the formula [ QUOTE ]
=sum($E$2:E2)

[/ QUOTE ] Now Drag this down just as you did with the formula in D2.

14. Now select all of column E and hit the chart button. Select XY(Scatter Plot)and select the smoothed lines version. Put in any other information you want and you should get something like this.
http://www.geneseo.edu/~jap15/graph1.jpg

I've also made some other graphs that have to do with Preflop luck. The pink lines are how many times I SHOULD have gotten a hand, the Blue lines are how many times I DID get those hands, and the Yellow lines are the differences (Got minus Should have Got). So you can see i'm very Lucky with my aces, but not so much with the range of hands Aces-Nines. The three graphs are Pocket Pairs, Suited Players, and Offsuit Players according to SSH.
http://www.geneseo.edu/~jap15/graph2.jpg
http://www.geneseo.edu/~jap15/graph3.jpg
http://www.geneseo.edu/~jap15/graph4.jpg

k_squared
03-04-2005, 01:41 PM
looks great!

I have jury rigged simple graphs in excel just using my end of session numbers, and then adjusted the numbers to reflect number of bets...

Is there any way you could have your graph do the same?

For example when you move from .5/1 to 1/2 you would need to have your winnings to have an accurate count of the number of bets won.

thanks for the info.
-k_squared

garion888
03-04-2005, 01:45 PM
You just have to create new columns BB_Bet and BB_won. These columns will just be the total_bet and total_won columns divided by the BB size. So in a 2/4 game, you divide those columns by 4 to get it into BB. So instead of graphing the total columns, you graph the BB columns. My databases are cut up by limit so I don't really have to worry about this too much.

gasoltub
03-04-2005, 09:04 PM
While I haven't looked at the details, it sure looks nice. I have been exporting the sessions from PT and imported into excel, but this look much better.

Vern
03-04-2005, 09:13 PM
That's some nice work. I threw something together in VB.NET that does something similar. Opens a db and plots hands and stats. I got tired of exporting and having excel do all the work. Maybe if I can get it cleaned up I will post it.

Vern

bonanz
03-06-2005, 03:25 AM
uhhhhhh please post that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

YoureToast
03-07-2005, 11:34 AM
yes that would be very nice!!!

Vern
03-09-2005, 11:31 PM
While playing with my little graph program to get it ready to let people play with I noticed one thing:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/vernmcc/graph.JPG

fooz
03-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Vern, is this a joke?? Are you serious???

What were some of the most significant changes you made to your game because of the book?

Vern
03-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Yes & no, I was being light hearted and I don't know how much the two are connected, but the graph is real and that is about the time I purchased SSHE and read it for the first time.

To answer your question, the important things that book led me to discover in my game....
<ul type="square"> Aggression
Why cold calling so much pre-flop was, with rare exception, a bad idea.
Aggression
Why small pairs can generally be played from just about any position in the typical small stakes game.
Aggression
Thinking about when/why I raise post flop (using the check/raise to protect my hand, when I may be betting someone elses draw, when I actually had reverse implied odds, what is my relative position to the pre-flop aggressor(s)...)
Aggression
Betting second pair for value.
Aggression
Counting hidden outs
Aggression
Why slowplaying anything in a small stakes game is generally bad.
Aggression
Not to fold on the river for one bet when the pots gets large even when I 'knew' I was beat.
Aggression
To value bet the river
When not to be aggressive
[/list]

I was playing far to much of a fit/fold mentality and playing weak/tight instead of TAG'ish.

Vern

Vern
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's some nice work. I threw something together in VB.NET that does something similar. Opens a db and plots hands and stats. I got tired of exporting and having excel do all the work. Maybe if I can get it cleaned up I will post it.

Vern

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat over at Poker Tracker was kind enough to put the basic graphing program I made up. Here is the thread (http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4226) on their site.

Vern

garion888
03-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey Vern...

I got your program a couple days ago and it rocks...simple...clean...easy to use. Thanks for throwin it up on the pokertracker site.

-j

fooz
03-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Yep. Saw that too. Thanks Vern!

Also, interesting to see how bad some of the other "pros" are doing (at least from the hands, I've played with them). Here's a chart of the next person that I have the most hands for (over 12K hands). He's under 20 VPIP, but WAY too passive.

http://www.djfooz.com/poker/weaktight.gif

Vern
04-28-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pat over at Poker Tracker was kind enough to put the basic graphing program I made up. Here is the thread on their site.

Vern

[/ QUOTE ]

I threw together a web site for my grapher. I worked a rake calculator into it as well.

http://www.pokergrapher.com

Vern

P.S. And I asked Matt before posting a link to my own site /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tmoore44
04-30-2005, 02:32 AM
kudos to you sir. And here I thought my excel graph was pretty fancy, this is top notch.

goodguy_1
04-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Vern this is awesome work nothing like that little app you created for PokerTracker forums.You put alot of work into this.really sweet.

Is it possible to combine all your databses to one graph?
I tried and wasnt able to do more than one db.

If one just wanted to look at a specific limit within a databse that had mix of games ..how best can you do this?

Great Work! Looking forward to toying around with his some more /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vern
05-01-2005, 03:18 AM
You cannot look at multiple databases, mostly because of the way I have my databases set up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I will add it to my todo list.

FYI, the way I have my databases set up, I have one database for every flavor I play. I can datamine into this database and not worry about the database size or bad data from another level making the data less valid for myself or other players. Once a week or more, I export all my games, from the Game Notes tab, and import them into a central All My Hands Ever database. This has all my ring hands in it, but has no other observed hands in it, regardless of the site. So when I want to graph my various levels I have that All My Hands Ever database to do it from. One of my projects as part of this will also be to make a database pruner, that will let you prune out hands you were not a party to that are older than X number of days old. That might get me back to just one database.

Thanks for the kind words,

Vern

Fidster
05-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I have downloaded and installed this twice. Every time I go to run it, I get an error message that says:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0xc68 (3176), Thread id=0xa68 (2664)

Does anyone know how to fix this? Please help if you can.

Thanks

Vern
05-02-2005, 03:22 PM
I believe I responded to the same request on the Poker Grapher Forums (http://www.pokergrapher.com/forum/). I think you need the DOT NET Framework from MS to proceed. You can get it Here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&amp;DisplayLang=en)

Vern

dwarfman
05-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey guys,

It appears Vern has stopped work on his graphing program and the installer isn't downloading.

Could one of you guys please email the installer to me as attachment to ncomber@gmail.com ?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dwarfy.

AlexHoops
05-30-2005, 02:53 AM
Please send to hoops.12@osu.edu also
I had to reformat a few days ago /images/graemlins/frown.gif

theDetroitKid
05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
How did you chart someone else hands?