PDA

View Full Version : Is this too young?

ChristinaB
03-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Parents: 4th-Grade Girl To Become Boy (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/4253601/detail.html)

Mom Says Youngster Has Male Brain

METHUEN, Mass. -- A fourth-grader who was attending a Methuen elementary school as a girl before February vacation has returned to school as a boy.

The parents of the 9-year-old child said the youngster was born with the body of a girl, but the brain of a boy.

They have asked that he be referred to and treated as a boy by teachers and other students, and school officials are accommodating the request. The parents have even changed the child's name.

The child's mother told The Eagle-Tribune that the family made the decision after consulting with medical professionals. She said the child is still biologically a girl.

The mother has requested that the family not be identified to protect the child.

School Superintendent C. Phillip Littlefield said there is nothing harmful about the child being in the school.

daryn
03-04-2005, 11:46 AM
this kind of stuff is dumb.

great, the child sees herself as a boy. great. but she is NOT a boy. it's all in the genes baby. they are talking about letting her use the boys' bathroom and stuff, how ludicrous!

jakethebake
03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

great, the child sees herself as a boy. great. but she is NOT a boy. it's all in the genes baby. they are talking about letting her use the boys' bathroom and stuff, how ludicrous!

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost did it awhile back and decided not to, but this just earned her a spot on my blocked users list.

Niwa
03-04-2005, 11:53 AM
It must be awesome to find out after the surgery that he actually is a she..

MelK
03-04-2005, 11:54 AM
http://www.void-games.com/images/dr_nick.gif

"Hi Everybody! Did somebody need to speak to a medical professional?"

Shajen
03-04-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Parents: 4th-Grade Girl To Become Boy (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/4253601/detail.html)

METHUEN, Mass. -- A fourth-grader who was attending a Methuen elementary school as a girl before February vacation has returned to school as a boy.

The parents of the 9-year-old child said the youngster was born with the body of a girl, but the brain of a boy.

They have asked that he be referred to and treated as a boy by teachers and other students, and school officials are accommodating the request. The parents have even changed the child's name.

The child's mother told The Eagle-Tribune that the family made the decision after consulting with medical professionals. She said the child is still biologically a girl.

The mother has requested that the family not be identified to protect the child.

School Superintendent C. Phillip Littlefield said there is nothing harmful about the child being in the school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a child be concerned about their sex at 9 years old? Seriously. This is yet another example of shitty parents projecting their desires onto their poor kids.

I hate people.

daryn
03-04-2005, 11:58 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
It must be awesome to find out after the surgery that he actually is a she..

[/ QUOTE ]

still not

David04
03-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Oh man....if I had the body of a female, but mind of a male.....wow.

Boris
03-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Sometimes it's difficult to determine sex at a genetic level. Very simply, if you are a girl you have XX chromosomes and if you're a boy you have XY chromosomes. Except there's this thing called mutation and some people are XXY and some are XYY. What do you do now?

bholdr
03-04-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh man....if I had the body of a female, but mind of a male.....wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd never get anything done, i'd be too busy playing with my tits.

Dead
03-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I think if this is what the child wanted then its fine. Sometimes there are errors in biology, a girl is given a boy's body, and vice versa.

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 07:05 PM
The kid's 9. It has no clue what sex it wants to be.

gamblore99
03-04-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

offTopic
03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Two words: Acting Lessons.

The rest will take care of itself.

[censored]
03-04-2005, 07:58 PM
What do you want to bet mommy dearest really wanted a little boy and I don't know bought boy toys for the kid as an infant.

What you have here is a either a tom boy or a lesbian both of which are fine as they are.

These parents should be shot.

rusellmj
03-04-2005, 08:47 PM
One can only imagine the therapy that will be needed in the future.

Russ

EliteNinja
03-04-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would a child be concerned about their sex at 9 years old? Seriously. This is yet another example of shitty parents projecting their desires onto their poor kids.

I hate people

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

slickpoppa
03-04-2005, 10:48 PM
what doctor could possibly do this? What a scumbag

peachy
03-04-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm just b/c ur one or the other on the OUTSIDE...it doesnt mean that ur body is not function as the opposite INSIDE, and not just organs and what not but hormones etc....

im all for this...people should not be forced to be something "they are not" b/c society thinks it weird/wrong/dumb

and there is SOMETHING called phenotype and genotype daryn...obviously thier GENOTYPE was that of a boys and the PHENOTYPE was that of a girl. And just incase u didnt know PHENOTYPE is what is SEEN, genotype is what it REALLY is...and im saying OVERALL...not just in this artcile....
so unless u examined this childs genetic make up i wouldnt make such a bold and asinine statment...

Also...i took the statement "with the brain of a boy" to mean "she" had chemical hormones, thoughts, etc of a boy

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Where the hell did you learn genetic biology?
Get your money back, then go buy a biology book, and look up the meaning of genotype and phenotype.
I'm not just attacking you hear to be mean, but everything you just said is completely false.

SuitedSixes
03-04-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get your money back, then go buy a biology book, and look up the meaning of genotype and phenotype.
I'm not just attacking you hear to be mean, but everything you just said is completely false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell did you learn spelling?
Get your money back, then go buy a dictionary, and look up the meaning of here and hear.
I'm not just attacking you here to be mean, but one of the words you just used is completely false.

Lazymeatball
03-05-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell did you learn spelling?
Get your money back, then go buy a dictionary, and look up the meaning of here and hear.
I'm not just attacking you here to be mean, but one of the words you just used is completely false.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a typo, do you have a point?

SuitedSixes
03-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Do you have a sense of humor?

Reef
03-05-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

These parents should be shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yugoslavian
03-05-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the point is that you just...

got....

http://img162.exs.cx/img162/8338/622235dalikid1gm.gif

Yugoslav

Lazymeatball
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I hardly think pointing out a typo is equivalent to a pwning. The error which was pointed out does nothing to negate the message of my original post: being that the message of peachy's post was so incredibly wrong that it stands for itself, and doesn't even have to be debated.

I really think you have a clear misunderstanding of the word pwn, and need to get your money back from whereeve you learned it.

The Yugoslavian
03-05-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hardly think pointing out a typo is equivalent to a pwning. The error which was pointed out does nothing to negate the message of my original post: being that the message of peachy's post was so incredibly wrong that it stands for itself, and doesn't even have to be debated.

I really think you have a clear misunderstanding of the word pwn, and need to get your money back from whereeve you learned it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you don't have a clear understanding about the way your pwning was delivered. In fact, you weren't pwn3d until you responded to SuitedSixes post. I hope you see why.

Also, no one is debating the message of your post. That is simply not the issue here.

Yugoslav

[censored]
03-05-2005, 12:54 AM
You are no where near the neighborhood of being correct.

Saying that someone is born with the brain of a boy would be like saying she was born with the liver of a boy. It's ridiculous.

Is she producing male hormones? I would assume no since it was not mentioned in the article.

Is she acting like a boy, in that she has more common interest with boys? This is called being a tom boy and is quite common.

Is she attracted to other females? Then she is gay and if we are going to accept being gay as "normal" then we do not need parents forcing mutilation on their children because of it.

This is [censored] sickening.

adamstewart
03-05-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the point is that you just...

got....

http://img162.exs.cx/img162/8338/622235dalikid1gm.gif

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

ACTUALLY,

Peachy doesn't know what the hell's she's talking about.

AND ...

Pointing out a typing error is not "pwning" someone.

Adam
B.Sc.(Hons)
Class of Medicine 2007

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hardly think pointing out a typo is equivalent to a pwning.

[/ QUOTE ]

This absolutely has to the the 2+2 Quote of the Year so far.

The Yugoslavian
03-05-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Peachy doesn't know what the hell's she's talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you obviously didn't read my reply to lazymeatball.

[ QUOTE ]

AND ...

Pointing out a typing error is not "pwning" someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that wasn't the 'pawning' ..... I'll leave it to others to elaborate (I gave a hint in my aforementioned reply).

Yugoslav

Lazymeatball
03-05-2005, 02:24 AM
No one else is going to elaborate because no one has a clue what you are talking about.

[censored]
03-05-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one else is going to elaborate because no one has a clue what you are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you responded to the post pointing out your typo you became pwnd. I don't like it but those are the rules.

adamstewart
03-05-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Way to screw with a developing and impressionable child's head.

Adam

SaltCocka Qwn3d
03-05-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Because you responded to the post pointing out your typo you became pwnd. I don't like it but those are the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the usage of this term on OOT is incorrect.

Most of the pwn claimants here are too immature to understand proper usage.

A witty reply does not constitute pwning.

Getting someone to reply to an inane point, as in this case, does not constitute pwning.

Claiming pwnership of someone improperly is a form of self-pwnership.

Calling oneself (x)Cracka is also self-pwning.

[ QUOTE ]
1. pwn
PWN (verb)

1. An act of dominating an opponent.

2. Great, ingenious; applied to methods and objects.

Originally dates back to the days of WarCraft, when a map designer mispelled "Own" as "Pwn". What was originally supose to be "player has been owned." was "player has been pwned".

Pwn eventually grew from there and is now used throughout the online world, especially in online games.
1. "I pwn these guys on battlenet"

2. "This strategy pwns!" or "This game pwn."

[/ QUOTE ]

emonrad87
03-05-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it's difficult to determine sex at a genetic level. Very simply, if you are a girl you have XX chromosomes and if you're a boy you have XY chromosomes. Except there's this thing called mutation and some people are XXY and some are XYY. What do you do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this girl was NOT mutated. The people that are mutated are clearly such by their outward appearance.

OtisTheMarsupial
03-05-2005, 04:02 AM
I told a friend with a Gender Studies degree about this. We think...

1. Many girls go through a stage where they want to be boys at around age 9-13. Theirs bodies start developing and they a)get harassed by pervs b)get annoyed that boobs and periods hinder sports c)et cetera. Some start wishing they were boys and then get over it when they’re a little older and get into bars for free.
If this is the case, the parents and medical professionals erred.

2. The news story is incomplete. We don't know what this kid's story really is. Perhaps the kid was born anatomically female but genetically male (or genetically female and hormonally male, or psychologically male and anatomically, genetically and hormonally female...)
If any of these are the case, and this seems much more plausible, then the parents and doctors probably did the right thing.

3. In 4th grade, what should it matter whether the child is treated as male or female? What gender segregated activities do children in 4th grade do besides use the restroom?

O. Marsupial

daryn
03-05-2005, 04:38 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm just b/c ur one or the other on the OUTSIDE...it doesnt mean that ur body is not function as the opposite INSIDE, and not just organs and what not but hormones etc....

im all for this...people should not be forced to be something "they are not" b/c society thinks it weird/wrong/dumb

and there is SOMETHING called phenotype and genotype daryn...obviously thier GENOTYPE was that of a boys and the PHENOTYPE was that of a girl. And just incase u didnt know PHENOTYPE is what is SEEN, genotype is what it REALLY is...and im saying OVERALL...not just in this artcile....
so unless u examined this childs genetic make up i wouldnt make such a bold and asinine statment...

Also...i took the statement "with the brain of a boy" to mean "she" had chemical hormones, thoughts, etc of a boy

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy, we've been through this before, remember? i'm much smarter than you. looks like some other guys took care of this for me though. carry on.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif-daryn

peachy
03-05-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are no where near the neighborhood of being correct.

Saying that someone is born with the brain of a boy would be like saying she was born with the liver of a boy. It's ridiculous.

Is she producing male hormones? I would assume no since it was not mentioned in the article.

Is she acting like a boy, in that she has more common interest with boys? This is called being a tom boy and is quite common.

Is she attracted to other females? Then she is gay and if we are going to accept being gay as "normal" then we do not need parents forcing mutilation on their children because of it.

This is [censored] sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm the brain controls the release of some HORMONES...that was my point...so in it saying a male brain...AS I SAID IN MY ORGINIAL POST...i took that to mean producing male hormones (and am reassured in this in MY mind because the child lives in the US and there r mental tests and genetic screening that MUST be done before these types of surgeries) AND i said nothing about livers etc...come on NOW!! jesus...u peoples mentalties scare me sometimes....the INSIDE im talkin of is people being born with male genitalia but havin female piping (like ovaries etc) i am not wrong on this...

and furthermore, i stand by what i said about genotype and phenotype. Daryn said the genes prove it...and i was correcting him because he was implying it WAS a girl so leave it alone...i was saying yes GENEs (genotype) do determine what they r but what we SEE is the phenotype...so unless he did a genetic test himself his statement was irrelavent.

So again back to what i initially said...it COULD be male on the outside but the inside (SEX organs, hormones, etc) its a female or vice versa....

u go look up THIS stuff...the tell me im SO wrong....

[censored]
03-05-2005, 05:14 AM
I think you hate religion and thus afraid and unwilling to make any type of moral judgement based on sexuality even when it is painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that her parents are lunatics who should be dacapitated ASAP.

Adrenal glands produce hormones. They are located atop the kidney.

peachy
03-05-2005, 05:25 AM
uumm other things release/control hormones too....and REREAD what ive been saying...the brain controls these things....lets see JUST off the top of my head...
they HYPOTHALAMUS which controls the pituitary and the pineal glad plays a role here too...thats why its called the "endocrine SYSTEM"...others r thyroid etc etc etc

i can list all the hormones i can remember that each control/release if u would like....

hahaha dont tell me things u dont know about until u either go look it up or u have a degree in this....

HOW in the world can u say or imply that ONLY the adrenal gland produces hormones

and lets see....i have an extesive liver problem...so i THINK i know where most of my organs r located on top of having a degree in it

AND religion has NOTHING to do with this...where did that come in??

Lazymeatball
03-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Please explain how someone can have the phenotype of a girl, and the genotype of a boy.

peachy
03-05-2005, 05:48 AM
IM sayin in general GENES dont always SHOW themselves like daryn was saying...thus me addressing phenotype and genotype...dont tell me what i meant or didnt mean and what i know and dont know...

My point is...the child COULD be genetically, hormonally, etc MALE (genotype) but have been physcially female (thus me using the over generalization of this term within my first post - phenotype) it is WHAT is SEEN...IF u want me to use the words in "direct" relation to this situation

and there r a range of further abnormalities in between these situations

here ill generalize it for u more...
genotype - inherited genetic coding
phenotype - OUTWARD appearence, what we see

u can have a gene for say color-blindness (genotype) but u dont express it (phenotype)

u can have a gene for blonde hair (genotype) and HAVE blonde hair (phenotype)

Everyone of us has an X chromosome...or MAYBE im wrong there too

if im not entirely clear...please excuse me...ive been on vicoprofen the past few days...i am explaining myself as best i can...but i do feel i know what im talking about even in this state of mind...

Lazymeatball
03-05-2005, 06:12 AM
I still think you are unclear about the usage of the words genotype and phenotype. If someone had the phenotype of a female, by outward physical appearances as in your example, then they would also have the hormones of a female. The hormones produced in the body also represent the phenotype.

You are saying that someone could have the phenotype of blond hair, but the genotype of brown hair.
edit: This means that your saying that someone could look like a girl (biologically, as in female genitalia, etc) and have the genes of a boy is the equivalent to saying someone could have blond hair (a reccesive trait) and the genes of brown hair (a dominant trait).

peachy
03-05-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still think you are unclear about the usage of the words genotype and phenotype. If someone had the phenotype of a female, by outward physical appearances as in your example, then they would also have the hormones of a female. The hormones produced in the body also represent the phenotype.

You are saying that someone could have the phenotype of blond hair, but the genotype of brown hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt say that about blonde hair...reread what i said...

and i said i was explaining someones error in "genes" being shown...u asked me to fully apply it to this situation...i did the best i could as to relate the two

Overall someone can "be" male but appear physically female

[censored]
03-05-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone had female genetals, breasts and no obvious male traits such as strong facial hair growth what exactly is it that would still make them male?

peachy
03-05-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone had female genetals, breasts and no obvious male traits such as strong facial hair growth what exactly is it that would still make them male?

[/ QUOTE ]

hormones, pluming, etc - like i said before someone can have say a penis...but have ovaries and release female hormones....does this make sense??

u can express both externally too - hermaphodite

these r the wide variety of reasons they have sexual reassignment surgeries

Overall they didnt JUST preform surgery on this child...these r complex surgeries that take many medical examinations and therapy evaluations. Again im assuming the child underwent surgery...but then again they could have just sent them back to school as is but with a boy name and tendencies

i think the younger they do this the better someone will adjust...NOT saying 9 is the correct age

Lazymeatball
03-05-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quimby: I guess we're not going to find anything.
Otto: Um, how are we going to get out of here?
Homer: We'll dig our way out!
Wiggum: No, dig _up_, stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep digging up Peachy.

adamstewart
03-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Please elaborate on the differences between "Male Hormones" and "Female Hormones", etc., etc.

I eagerly await your reply.

Adam

peachy
03-05-2005, 11:25 AM
DIFFERENT lvls of estrogens and progestins and testost.

Benholio
03-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Does anyone else keep opening this thread hoping to see pics of teenage chicks or something, then remembering what its about and being disappointed every time?

MelK
03-05-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else keep opening this thread hoping to see pics of teenage chicks or something, then remembering what its about and being disappointed every time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go (this is surfdoc's avatar - future hot teenagers, yes?):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/surfdoc/princessjpg.jpg

wacki
03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
I just scanned this thread, but to try to put this arguement to rest I will try and explain a few concepts. Try to imagine any variation of a boy/girl/combo and it can and will happen in nature. You can have a male body, but a brain wired like a female. Your body can have the hormone chemistry of a female yet the cells/body develops like a male. You can have male genes, but they are weak/dormant. You can express hormones, but the receptors are damaged so they don't sense the hormones. Prenatal development can be shifted towards a girl (but still just over the male side), but postnatal development is towards a boy. (happens when mom is exposed to chemicals) So many crazy things can happen. Think of any combo, and it probably can happen. Still, a simple karyotype should settle 99.999% of the debates.

That being said, this article gives us almost zero information about the child. There is no way I can form a solid opinion. Still the nature of the parents behavior is very suspect. I would think this discovery would of been made around childbirth. So, I'm going to guess that the parents are loony. But that is merely a guess.

AEKDBet
03-05-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I just took abnormal psyc (C. Flamming mmb0ne). There was a case where a child had the geneology of a male, but the mentality of a female. Eventually the child got a sex change but was much older. The point was the the wiring in the brain, doesn't match whats in the pants.

Another case delt with a circumcision gone wrong. Doc lopped of the kid's penis, and the parents opted to go along with a sex change sugery and raise the kid as a girl. Even this all of this was done to the child as an infant, the child acted like a boy its whole life, even though raised as a girl. The parents tried everything, but the wiring in the brain was set on "boy" I guess. Eventually the sex change was psuedo-reversed as best as could be and the guy got married and has several kids. (adopted kids)