PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta crew: help an old foggie out

Shajen
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey,

I got some friends of mine from Dallas coming into town tonight, looking to party. They are thinking (for whatever reason) Buckhead. I haven't been to buckhead in over 2 years. Where should I take them? Where should I avoid? Also, where else would you go? It's been a while since I've gone out to the bars downtown and in the southern part of Atlanta.

thanks.

peachy
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
i always liked coyote ugly there (although its NOT the best one) cause i got to get up on the bar and take body shots off the bartendress and dance! and its right around the corner from makos..which i like...and man o man whats the name of the other one connected to half moon?? its all the way down the one street to the left (heading away from the center) i go there allll the time and i just cant think of the name ggrrr oh well.... and tongue and groove (but this is more of a dance club type place)

Vinnings got some nice bars...and the bars in underground arent half bad and u can walk around with open containers from bar to bar there

god i luv atlanta

what type of bars r u looking for?? what age range people?? etc etc

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Mako's is decent, but I didn't love it when I went there. Don't go to Peachtree Tavern or Moondogs (on Peachtree by Lenox). Those are straight college bars, and it's pretty much just GT people all the time.

Smith's Olde Bar is a good place to go if there's a good music act playing there. Halo Lounge is like my unicorn. All the hip people say it's great, but I've never gotten in, those bastards are good with fake ids.

Manuel's Tavern, and Buckhead Saloon would probably be the 2 of the best for you. Manuel's Tavern is around between Va-Highlands, and Little 5 on N. Highland Ave. Buckhead Saloon is right on Peachtree.

peachy
03-04-2005, 12:52 PM
yes M. Tavern is good for the older crowd...hehe im 24 so mines more of a college perspective...i went to some of the others as a jagerette...so let me know what TYPE ur looking for!

heheh the gay bars r GREAT!!! just an FYI for everyone...if the guys can get past that its a "gay" bar its awesome...a good number of straight people in them and alot of HOT girls that go with friends...hehe NOT for this outing but just making a statement for other people in atlanta /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

shadow29
03-04-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Manuel's Tavern, and Buckhead Saloon would probably be the 2 of the best for you. Manuel's Tavern is around between Va-Highlands, and Little 5 on N. Highland Ave. Buckhead Saloon is right on Peachtree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I love M's. Tavern. The place just rocks. Lot of history behind that place too.

I'm starting to notice that there are a shitload of ATL 2+2ers.

peachy
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
who all is from ATLANTA??

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 01:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I'm starting to notice that there are a shitload of ATL 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. When did this happen? When I signed up, I found about 1 in the first 2 months.

poboys
03-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I will assume old foggie means 30+

Happy Hour: Tavern at Phipps, Palm, Twist (all in buckhead)
10pm on: go to midtown, Cresent St. there are a ton of places all within walking distance.
Late night: Johnny's Hideaway (if your 40+ you'll love it).

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 01:22 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I know these people are:
fins
peachy
ClaytonN
mmbt0ne
shadow29
fratony
Shajen
AEKDBet
gojacketz

And I'm also 80% sure that I'm forgetting at least 3 or 4 others.

EDIT: like poboys apparently.

poboys
03-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Amen to that. I always assumed most 2+2'ers are from the northeast (how YOU doin') or vegas/CA.

peachy
03-04-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amen to that. I always assumed most 2+2'ers are from the northeast (how YOU doin') or vegas/CA.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope born and raised GA girl here!

Shajen
03-04-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always liked coyote ugly there (although its NOT the best one) cause i got to get up on the bar and take body shots off the bartendress and dance! and its right around the corner from makos..which i like...and man o man whats the name of the other one connected to half moon?? its all the way down the one street to the left (heading away from the center) i go there allll the time and i just cant think of the name ggrrr oh well.... and tongue and groove (but this is more of a dance club type place)

Vinnings got some nice bars...and the bars in underground arent half bad and u can walk around with open containers from bar to bar there

god i luv atlanta

what type of bars r u looking for?? what age range people?? etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 30, (Christ, first time I've written that...ugh) and most of the crew are late 20's/early 30s.

Makos was (probably still is) a meat market for roid boys and underaged girls, so that's a no go.

Buckhead Tavern's pretty cool, forgot about that one. I'll probably just make a lap or two, hell it's all the same.

thanks for the input guys. Vinings is also a pretty nice choice. The problem is these guys are morons and are staying down by the airport, which is about an hour drive for me. So I'd prefer something nearer the airport area. Fat chance, I'd imagine.

Anyway,

thanks.

ddollevoet
03-04-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm an old fogey. I'm 34.

I like to hang out a Fox and Hound's on Collier. It is a little off the beaten path, but I love it there.

It has the feel of a small british pub. Lots of imports. Wall to wall carpet. 3 pool tables, 2 dart boards and Golden Tee. What else do you need?

Anyone interested in an Atlanta 2+2 meet up?

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 03:00 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in.

Shajen
03-04-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I like to hang out a Fox and Hound's on Collier. It is a little off the beaten path, but I love it there.

It has the feel of a small british pub. Lots of imports. Wall to wall carpet. 3 pool tables, 2 dart boards and Golden Tee. What else do you need?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd be cool with it, but life is crazy right now.

Rob Blackburn
03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Here are the ones I would consider if they are still open since I left.

Leapord Lounge, Cresecent Room, Lava/Cosmo, 1150: All in midtown 12th and peachtree, its basically the super yuppie Buckhead. Each club has a little diff. flavor in this area, plus you have Club Anytime, I mean The Riviera right there for some all night partying after your done at these clubs.

MJQ Concourse: My 2nd fave place to hang out in ATL off Ponce, mix crowd backpackers to yuppies, the music is underground dance and hiphop.(My fave place is a pub in Little 5)

Clearmont Lounge: The historic Atlanta Strip Club, that well for some reason has the absolutely most horrendous women dancing, but you don't go here to see the women, this seemed to be a big cocktail warm-up for the night place, go by see the circus have a drink then move on. On Ponce.

Fountainhead/Halo: Fountianhead is in E. Atlanta, Halo is on Peachtree, they are owned by the same people, NYC ultra lounge style, artsy/hipster crowd, underground dance music.

I never went to The Highlands or Vinings much, even though I lived close to these areas at some point during my stay there, both are highly touted, but I can't give you specific spots.

So all of these place are a little more older than the Buckhead crowd, well except for Claremont well which is much older, hey were else might you see a 75 yr. old stripper.

If your friends what to hear Rumpshaker and Baby got back and pick up skanks then I guess go to Buckhead.

Coyote Ugly and Mako's.....wow. That's mindnumbing.

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Clearmont Lounge: The historic Atlanta Strip Club, that well for some reason has the absolutely most horrendous women dancing, but you don't go here to see the women, this seemed to be a big cocktail warm-up for the night place, go by see the circus have a drink then move on. On Ponce.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Why not just go to Girls R Fun while you're at it. (I'll be very impressed if anyone knows what I'm talking about, and where it is)

Rob Blackburn
03-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I have been to Girls R Fun.

Thats another story altogether.

im_the_dirt
03-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Lived very close to Girls R Fun for a couple years. Despite the giant lips with YES written inside them I never ventured over there.

As far as going out with in ATL with a lower 30's crowd you might wanna try out the Virginia-Highlands area.

shadow29
03-04-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've had several over the summer. But then it dwindled off as our host was unavoidably removed from the poker world and people stopped expressing interest.

Also,

easypete
BigEndian
Jluker7 (i think that's about right)
PokerDawg (or something like that)
Sentouki
schironn (doesn't post)

a couple more, i forget.

ClaytonN
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably won't, since I imagine a lot of stuff to do would require being over the drinking age
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I live very close to Buckhead though, I'm near Marist.

shadow29
03-04-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably won't, since I imagine a lot of stuff to do would require being over the drinking age

[/ QUOTE ]

This hasn't stopped me. Honestly, the previous ones were like the forums incarnate, not a 2+2 party. Still a lot of fun though.

Marist? I know where that is. Everyone (pretty much) lives in the same vicinity (NW ATL).

mmbt0ne
03-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Legal drinking age? I'll call in 6 months.

peachy
03-04-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in.

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
03-04-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live very close to Buckhead though, I'm near Marist.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah i was almost made to go to Marist years ago!
we have a house over that way too...

o just saw where someone asked where Marist was...its over near Perimeter mall...if u take the main road running in front of the mall and u take in INWARD (from 2-85) Marist is on that same road within the houses

o nm u said u KNEW where it was....damn meds /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Benholio
03-05-2005, 12:06 AM
&lt;-- from Atlanta

eulogy
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im close enuff (1 hour away)
and the last time i went to mako's, i would have swore it was full of gays.

i'm 44 btw...too old to hang with you guys

Crosby
03-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I live in midtown ATL on Piedmont, and two friends of mine who also play poker for a living live in the same building. Don't know if I post enough to count as a 2+2er, but Im sure the 3 of us would be interested in meeting other poker players in the area.

spy587
03-06-2005, 01:26 AM
I live in ATL, and went to Woodward. Boo Marist and Westminister.

ClaytonN
03-06-2005, 03:15 AM
I don't go to Marist, just live near there.

Fins
03-06-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm interested.

Too late but my vote would have been Moe's &amp; Joe's &amp; the Highlands although if forced to go to Buckhead I go to CJ's. Black Bear Tavern on P'tree is another hang out (or would be if I got out more). I like Fox and Hound's... my wife lived over off Collier when we met.

Anyone hang out at Black Bear Tavern?

- Fins

BK_
03-06-2005, 04:24 AM
im at college now, but i lived in alpharetta for a while and then right next to lenox mall in one of those high rises. i miss atlanta /images/graemlins/frown.gif