PDA

View Full Version : PP 10+1 sng's, heads up play

Nothinghead
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
hi. recently, i've started playing the 10+1 sng's on party poker. i feel im a pretty solid player overall and have developed a pretty good feel for these types of tables, but recently i've noticed that i'm losing a lot of money from coming in second much more than i finish first. (at least i think so, im sort of new to this...so this might actually be normal.)

i don't have a very large sample to draw from (55 to be exact) as this is rather new to me. i also don't feel quite comfortable multi-tabling as online play is rather new to me as well, so it might be awhile until i really accumlate a larger sample.

anyways, i have 6 first place finishes,14 second place finishes and 8 thirds. my question is, is it normal to have that many more 2nd place finishes compared to firsts? i know that in almost all of the 20 cases of 1st/2nd, i have been at least even with the other person heads up if not up a sizeable amount. is this indicative of a leak in my play heads up? maybe just a bad run of luck heads up? is it too early to tell?

(geez that seemed like a lot of questions one after another...take a little rest, there's a few more coming up.)

the play seems generally eratic at best at this level anyways...but in most cases heads up, due to the huge blinds compared to the stacks it seems almost like a total crapshoot. how loose should my general standards for pushing be at that stage?

i dunno, this post is kind of scatter brained and all over the place. just finished up playing for the night, so im feeling a little drained (not the greatest of nights overall.)

if i missed any of this sort of stuff in previous threads, i apologize for starting another thread. if anyone has any advice or answers to offer, i'd be much obliged.

Dariel86
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
The heads-up play is quite a crapshoot. There is much of all-in hands and it's really just up to luck who will take a hand.

And as you already said, your sample is quite ( very) small. I suggest you start thinking of things like this when you have a sample of 300 SNG:s and it still looks like you have a problem there.

-Dariel

Phil Van Sexton
03-04-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
due to the huge blinds compared to the stacks it seems almost like a total crapshoot. how loose should my general standards for pushing be at that stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can try to steal with any 2 cards. I'm not saying you should push every hand (though that wouldn't be that wrong). You need to push A LOT. If you aren't getting good cards, you can fold 1 or 2 times, but then just push with any 2. You can't wait for cards.

The real question is what hands do you need to CALL a push. This really depends on your opponent. Against most opponents, you can't fold to his steal attempts like you did on the bubble. On the bubble, you fold A2 to a steal. When heads-up, I'm calling with any Ace against most opponents.

QT, 44, K8....if my opponent is aggressive, I'm going to look him up as soon as I get a reasonable hand. The blinds are too high to wait for a better spot.

jccookjr
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Half the time you'll have the best starting hand. Raise almost any hand and push with the bigger ones.