PDA

View Full Version : Your kids doing drugs

natedogg
03-04-2005, 06:38 AM
I have two kids. Obviously, they will try doing drugs when they get older, hopefully not until high school.

Also obviously, I don't want them to become total stoners or serious drug addicts. I'm realistic and figure they'll smoke a lot of pot until mid-20's like eveyrone else and that will diminish as they get more responsible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I've had friends who never got over it, who were consumed by hard drugs. So I don't want to blithely sit back and let my kids flirt with that path too much.

Ignoring their drug use completely will be stupid. Forbidding it even more stupid. Freaking out about it, also stupid.

My idea:

"Son, I won't punish you for doing drugs, but here's the rule. Any time you're gonna smoke out or do other drugs, you gotta call me first and tell me. If you don't tell me and I find out, THEN you get busted. Got it?"

The intent here is that he'll be too ashamed and feel too stupid to do drugs all the time if he has to call me first and tell me. Also, the later it is the harder it'll be to call me and wake me up, and the later it is the less I want him out doing drugs. (I don't plan on enforcing an early curfew)

I doubt he'll call me every time. But it will also set the precedent that lying to me is the real misbehaviour, not the drugs. Which will make the drugs themselves less taboo....?

Thoughts?

natedogg

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 06:49 AM
It is important that you create a relation of trust w your kids, so that they know thay can talk about it if they want to. That is be understanding for "minor" Fxxx-ups...

Also you seem quite open-minded about drug use... still make clear to them that there are no-no drugs, ie the almost instant addiction/drugs with high damage from first use...

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:01 AM
u r semi on the right track...and ur right thinking he wont call u every time!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The way my mom did it worked out great...and IF my dad ever knew he would be in such disbelief that he wouldnt believe it. She basically said look...i did drugs i know ur gonna do drugs..and that was the end of it. Her knowing made me do it in moderation b/c i didnt have to hide it or go somewhere else instead of coming home when i was all "messed up"

I had a short phase of hard stuff, but made my own personal choices to quit those and for no reason at all...each person's personality is gonna be different and this is gonna reflect on anything they do in life including drugs. I dont get addicted to things easy such as drugs and i also am a very independent and strong minded person - so even though EVERYONE (like 20 people) id be with everyday after class in HS would get high before football practice or cheerleading i didnt - i USED to - but for my entire sn year i didnt touch it, and everyday it was come on JUST ONE HIT!! it was like a contest on who could get me to do it again...and i didnt.

U raise ur kids right...and have respect towards them but also retain ur athority (which is a hard balance) then ull be fine, ur kids will make the right choices and when they have the "freedom" to do so they r going to make those right choices more. When it gets out of hand or u see danger than yeah step in...but also let them know...look if u get too messed up call me and ill come get u no matter what - no punishments. But like i said...u have to be the parent and the friend and the confidant - thats a rough and hard combo.

Good luck! Have faith in the way u raise them and that they will make good choices!!

There is no "right" way to raise a child...too many factors play a part...just make sure u "know" your children

jaxUp
03-04-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
u r semi on the right track...and ur right thinking he wont call u every time!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The way my mom did it worked out great...and IF my dad ever knew he would be in such disbelief that he wouldnt believe it. She basically said look...i did drugs i know ur gonna do drugs..and that was the end of it. Her knowing made me do it in moderation b/c i didnt have to hide it or go somewhere else instead of coming home when i was all "messed up"

I had a short phase of hard stuff, but made my own personal choices to quit those and for no reason at all...each person's personality is gonna be different and this is gonna reflect on anything they do in life including drugs. I dont get addicted to things easy such as drugs and i also am a very independent and strong minded person - so even though EVERYONE (like 20 people) id be with everyday after class in HS would get high before football practice or cheerleading i didnt - i USED to - but for my entire sn year i didnt touch it, and everyday it was come on JUST ONE HIT!! it was like a contest on who could get me to do it again...and i didnt.

U raise ur kids right...and have respect towards them but also retain ur athority (which is a hard balance) then ull be fine, ur kids will make the right choices and when they have the "freedom" to do so they r going to make those right choices more. When it gets out of hand or u see danger than yeah step in...but also let them know...look if u get too messed up call me and ill come get u no matter what - no punishments. But like i said...u have to be the parent and the friend and the confidant - thats a rough and hard combo.

Good luck! Have faith in the way u raise them and that they will make good choices!!

There is no "right" way to raise a child...too many factors play a part...just make sure u "know" your children

[/ QUOTE ]

Great Great advice. This is exactly what I was thinking, but was waiting to see if anybody else would post it (laziness).

WillMagic
03-04-2005, 07:19 AM
I agree that you are on the right track. Just make your preferences known...i.e. you prefer that he does it in moderation, you prefer that he doesn't touch any hard stuff, and you definitely prefer that he be smart about it.

Will

daryn
03-04-2005, 07:28 AM
it's possible that they don't do drugs at all, ever.

thirddan
03-04-2005, 07:31 AM
yeah, im 21 and most of my close friends have never even smoked pot, neither have i...and my parents never really said anything about them to me...i suppose drugs just aren't for everyone...

sin808
03-04-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents took this approach as well. They also made the distinction between recreational drugs (pot, lsd, etc) and lifetstyle drugs (heroin, coke, meth)- I think anyway, maybe that was just me. Avoid lifestyle drugs and keep recreational drugs recreational. I never had to call or anything, they said 'you're a kid, kids experiment. just be safe and responsible about it'.

daryn
03-04-2005, 07:34 AM
i never really talked about it with my parents in depth. they would just say "we know you are smart enough not to do drugs" and i would say, "indeed".

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i never really talked about it with my parents in depth. they would just say "we know you are smart enough not to do drugs" and i would say, "indeed".

[/ QUOTE ]

i never talked with mine about it in depth...but THEY were SMART enough to know every kid will probably "try" them...well my mom was at least

JaBlue
03-04-2005, 07:40 AM
I doubt your son will call you if he decides to do drugs. Try to convince him that if he's going to smoke pot or get drunk that he should stay home with a group of friends when they do it. The trouble kids get into is when they go out smashed and do stupid [censored].

daryn
03-04-2005, 07:40 AM
i don't really know how to say this without coming off like a conceited ass, so i'll just say it. the difference between me and you is very large.

istewart
03-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Very large = $58K?

daryn
03-04-2005, 07:43 AM
oops i should have elaborated. i was talking about intelligence.

istewart
03-04-2005, 07:44 AM
haha

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very large = $58K?

[/ QUOTE ]

no...he wouldnt wanna talk money and u dont know my financial situation...so i wouldnt go there if i was YOU either....and hes treading on thin ice addressing intellect.....

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Intelligence is not enough to keep people away from drugs.

daryn
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM
i agree, you also need sound reasoning and logical skills.

thirddan
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM
it should be...

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

guess they werent very intelligent

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if it makes u feel better to think so, then so be it...but my reasonsing and logic got me out of my parents house and making my own money at 18...seems like yours is a weeee bit behind mine

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unhappily, I feel that the question is a bit more complex...

daryn
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

if it makes u feel better to think so, then so be it...but my reasonsing and logic got me out of my parents house and making my own money at 18...seems like yours is a weeee bit behind mine

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, you just did a great job of displaying your total LACK of sound logic. i'll let others elaborate.

GuyOnTilt
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh snap!

GoT

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:01 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh snap!

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it. is it really a horrible thing to be living at home? clearly i'm looking to get out, but there's no rush. i have options.

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
guess they werent very intelligent

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are making fun of Dayn's approach here...
If not, a few example should be enough to prove that wrong: Freud, Burroughs, Rimbaud...

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:03 AM
i'm just saying i think education is the key. no big surprise really.

GuyOnTilt
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh snap!

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it. is it really a horrible thing to be living at home? clearly i'm looking to get out, but there's no rush. i have options.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't look down on it or anything. I'm sure you have your reasons, so whatev; it's your choice. But seriously, you can't complain about getting razzed for it. You're what, like 24? Of course people are gonna give you a hard time about it; it should be expected.

GoT

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drug users come from very different backgrounds.

You are lucky enough to never have done any drugs, and to apparently leave in a drug-free environment. That seems to explain your large over-simplification of these issues.

peachy
03-04-2005, 08:10 AM
i wouldnt give someone a hard time about it if they hadnt questioned my reasoning, logic, and intelligence....when they dont have much room to talk

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:11 AM

Oh snap!

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't look down on it or anything. I'm sure you have your reasons, so whatev; it's your choice. But seriously, you can't complain about getting razzed for it. You're what, like 24? Of course people are gonna give you a hard time about it; it should be expected.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about expected. i recently graduated from college. i lived away from home for 6 years. now i'm back for a few months and catching heat from internet nerds? ha. right now i'm in my travel phase, where i just take trips around the world.

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:13 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky enough to never have done any drugs, and to apparently leave in a drug-free environment. That seems to explain your large over-simplification of these issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am lucky to never have done drugs? are you serious? most of my friends do drugs. haha.. you think i live in a place like pleasantville? man people make stupid assumptions. i've been around hard drugs for years, it has nothing to do with environment.

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
i wouldnt give someone a hard time about it if they hadnt questioned my reasoning, logic, and intelligence....when they dont have much room to talk

[/ QUOTE ]

how don't i have much room to talk? my situation actually makes perfect sense. please explain yourself! you seem to have a hard time doing so.

GuyOnTilt
03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh snap!

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about expected. i recently graduated from college. i lived away from home for 6 years. now i'm back for a few months and catching heat from internet nerds? ha. right now i'm in my travel phase, where i just take trips around the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fiar enough. Like I said, I don't really care. I'm sure you have your reasons and you don't have to make excuses for yourself, at least not to me. But considering the crap you give peachy all the time...

GoT

peachy
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am lucky to never have done drugs? are you serious? most of my friends do drugs. haha.. you think i live in a place like pleasantville? man people make stupid assumptions. i've been around hard drugs for years, it has nothing to do with environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...and u claim i dont have intelligence!! in "general" it had A LOT to do with environment....i cant even begin to explain to u how much it does. As i stated in my 1st post personality plays a factor too...but to say it has NOTHING to do with environment is asinine

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:19 AM
but to say it has NOTHING to do with environment is asinine

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, clearly a bad generalization.

i should have said:

it had NOTHING to do with environment FOR ME

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i am lucky to never have done drugs? are you serious? most of my friends do drugs. haha.. you think i live in a place like pleasantville? man people make stupid assumptions. i've been around hard drugs for years, it has nothing to do with environment

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually trying to understand why you though that people doing drugs are just dumb, or can't think logically, or whatever you wrote earlier.

I thought maybe you did not know anything about the subject... not the case apparently.

So what is your excuse for failing to see that some very intelligent, very logical people, do drugs?

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:23 AM
i don't think that people who do drugs are not intelligent or dumb, i just believe that a very intelligent person is less apt to make a bad decision. if a very intelligent person really wants to do drugs, they will do drugs.

So what is your excuse for failing to see that some very intelligent, very logical people, do drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have not failed to see this. why do people build my arguments for me?

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and IF my dad ever knew he would be in such disbelief...
that he wouldnt believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaxUp
03-04-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Nice catch.

peachy
03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think that people who do drugs are not intelligent or dumb, i just believe that a very intelligent person is less apt to make a bad decision. if a very intelligent person really wants to do drugs, they will do drugs.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have not failed to see this. why do people build my arguments for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe b/c ur being something that ur accusing me of being...unclear...try explaining MORE...

like u can cover every thought U have in one post...too bad u didnt think about that

shadow29
03-04-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way. Oh yeah and I'm pretty smart, too.

It just never crossed my mind to do drugs. My friends do drugs every weekend. I don't. We're still friends. I still go to parties, etc. I just don't get high or use coke or whatever.

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:32 AM

like u can cover every thought U have in one post...too bad u didnt think about that

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry, i cannot decipher the meaning of this. clearly you are too intelligent for me. please dumb it down a shade, thank you.

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm the same way. Oh yeah and I'm pretty smart, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't do drugs and you drive a Renault? What is your excuse? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Intelligence, reason, and logic have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not one does drugs.

That is a ridiculous statement on several levels.

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Intelligence, reason, and logic have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not one does drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like Daryn isn't the only one guilty of making generalizations.

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:40 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

so wait, was your second statement referring to your first? if so i agree.

clearly one decides to do drugs or to not do drugs. one makes a decision. you're saying logic and reason have nothing to do with making a decision? wow.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forbidding it even more stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. My parents laid down the line when I was in high school and I knew that I would be screwed if I was ever caught drinking, doing drugs, etc and it worked very well.

It is completely family dependent.

That being said, I think that you are exploring a very viable option, however I do think "okaying" drug use may have some consequences. Parenting is tough and kids are impressionable.

peachy
03-04-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im sayin that it would have shocked him so much b/c he wouldnt be able to comprehend it that he wouldnt have believed it even if it was right in front of his face (he just cant seem to hold us in an openly bad image...probably for moral support)

sorry i didnt clarify!! knew it was gonna be a LONG response so i didnt go into detail!! hehe AND im on vicoprofen and was in the ER for some time the last few days /images/graemlins/frown.gif and im not brillant to begin with!!

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
clearly one decides to do drugs or to not do drugs. one makes a decision. you're saying logic and reason have nothing to do with making a decision? wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok daryn, if you want to argue the semantics instead of the actual point, fine act like a tool.

I was clearly referring to your belief that someone with sound logic and reasoning skills with a high intelligence would not do drugs.

That belief is one of the more stupid and ignorant things I have ever heard.

Clear enough this time?

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
I was clearly referring to your belief that someone with sound logic and reasoning skills with a high intelligence would not do drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have specifically stated that this is not my belief.

i am not arguing semantics.

thanks again to another idiot trying to make my argument for me, then tearing it apart.

next time try to disagree with something that i actually say.

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im sayin that it would have shocked him so much b/c he wouldnt be able to comprehend it that he wouldnt have believed it even if it was right in front of his face (he just cant seem to hold us in an openly bad image...probably for moral support)

sorry i didnt clarify!! knew it was gonna be a LONG response so i didnt go into detail!! hehe AND im on vicoprofen and was in the ER for some time the last few days /images/graemlins/frown.gif and im not brillant to begin with!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your confusing post really confused me, now I am just so full of confusion.

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-reading your posts, it is what you said. Also it is what most posters on this thread have understood?

peachy
03-04-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your confusing post really confused me, now I am just so full of confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah just never read a thing i say!! ull be better off!! there is smart stuff somewhere in MOST stuff i say...but i hide it real good with a TON of dumbness and girlie omg NUH UH!!!ness

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
You can imply lots of things, which you did.

Now read your posts again and realize how pretentious you sound.

Then figure out that intelligence and sound logic and reasoning are not determining factors to whether or not an indivdual does drugs.

And please, call me more names, it makes you sound so mature,

daryn
03-04-2005, 08:58 AM
And please, call me more names, it makes you sound so mature,

[/ QUOTE ]

come on man. i think you started this one:

Ok daryn, if you want to argue the semantics instead of the actual point, fine act like a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

and then you have the nerve to say it makes ME sound so mature? ok.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Re-reading your posts, it is what you said. Also it is what most posters on this thread have understood?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Daryn is obviously intelligent enough that he is able to express his ideas clearly, so that all us beneath him are able to understand precisely what he means.

daryn

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn sez:

[/ QUOTE ]

thatpfunk
Please, respond to the meat of the posts.

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:00 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Daryn is obviously intelligent enough that he is able to express his ideas clearly, so that all us beneath him are able to understand precisely what he means.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Please, respond to the meat of the posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously you don't see how that is low? you insult me first, and then you make it sound like i am not mature because i insult you?

you have to start out on the high road, you can't try to take it once you go in the gutter.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
How are you posting so fast? jesus.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
This is so far away from the argument, but I have never claimed to be a mature nor intelligent person. You have indicated you are in this thread.

Someone as bright as yourself should clearly be able to find a better way to insult someone.

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mind quoting your earlier post in the same thread, you clever kid?
Nice try though, haven't run into something like this since i was 10y-old, that was quite refreshing...

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is so far away from the argument, but I have never claimed to be a mature nor intelligent person. You have indicated you are in this thread.

Someone as bright as yourself should clearly be able to find a better way to insult someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worse. Copout. Ever.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Tone Loc: [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn: [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try though, haven't run into something like this since i was 10y-old, that was quite refreshing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just quote it, and then argue from there?

edit: okay nevermind, pfunk did it above me.

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about?? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE PLEASE SAY SOMETHING. quote it yourself, what did i say??

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Thank you for your opinion, The next I want it, I will ask.

And adding- normally I wouldn't care, and I think this is one of the first times I have ever called someon a name on the forum. But, Daryn sounds very sheltered and is acting extremely pretentious, so I would like to point that out. If you think its a copout, cool, had he not indicated how above he was, the copout wouldn't have been available. Its ironic like that.

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Tone Loc: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i believe those things can keep people from making bad decisions in life. do you disagree?

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for your opinion, The next [time?] I want it, I will ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement works both ways. And this is getting ugly fast.

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:11 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

my intent is not to insult anyone. you started with insults. i don't really care though, i don't mind being insulted. it just seemed weak when you called me out on it, even though you had started it up.

Michael Davis
03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree with you but think you are being too harsh on casual drug users. I think the benefits of smoking marijuana occasionally might outweigh any negative consequences. FWIW I've never used drugs including cigarettes and I hadn't touched alcohol until this year.

-Michael

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I agree with you but think you are being too harsh on casual drug users. I think the benefits of smoking marijuana occasionally might outweigh any negative consequences. FWIW I've never used drugs including cigarettes and I hadn't touched alcohol until this year.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously i have nothing against drug users. plenty of my friends do drugs. i don't care in the least. i go to parties where drugs are prevalent all the time.

maybe everyone here needs a good class in logic.

if i say:

being intelligent helps you make good decisions

that does NOT mean

if you make a bad decision you are not intelligent

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, i believe those things can keep people from making bad decisions in life. do you disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the argument.

ToneLoc
03-04-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is NOT what you posted initially.

To setlle things being intelligent is not a necessary condition to avoid drugs. It is not a sufficient condition either.

Put simply intelligence and drug use are not simply related, which what I think a lot of people are trying to tell you, maybe in a more agressive way that I do.

Hope you understand.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously i have nothing against drug users.

maybe everyone here needs a good class in logic.

if i say:

being intelligent helps you make good decisions

that does NOT mean

if you make a bad decision you are not intelligent

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you need a class in logic. We are not talking about bad decisions, we are talking about drug use, and you specifically responded to a post about drug use.

Michael Davis
03-04-2005, 09:16 AM
I am suggesting that sound reasoning and logic could lead one to do drugs and not the opposite.

-Michael

peachy
03-04-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for your opinion, The next [time?] I want it, I will ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement works both ways. And this is getting ugly fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahha glad i got busy with poker for a few mins and didnt have time to read this!!! or id be knee deep in poo too!!!

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:17 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that it is. i said that sound logic and reasoning skills can keep you from doing drugs. what if i replace "doing drugs" with "making bad decisions". if you can't do this mentally, let me suggest the cut and paste feature.

you'll see that it's the same argument. unless you are willing to argue that doing drugs cannot be viewed as making a bad decision. if that is your aim, so be it.

peachy
03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

ive always wanted to ask...so i will here to change the temp...whats FWIW mean??

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:20 AM

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

ive always wanted to ask...so i will here to change the temp...whats FWIW mean??

[/ QUOTE ]

that's all you need is one more internet abbreviation

for what it's worth

peachy
03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's all you need is one more internet abbreviation

for what it's worth

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry im not a "computer geek" and dont know alot about abb. on here...b.c i dont use INTERNET abbreviations

i work for a lawyer and studied law...plus im working on a phd in psych and see patients...therefore i do "write" shorthanded unless its a formal document...its EFFICENT

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i believe that it is. i said that sound logic and reasoning skills can keep you from doing drugs. what if i replace "doing drugs" with "making bad decisions". if you can't do this mentally, let me suggest the cut and paste feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, back up faster next time.

You are not the judge of morality. You do not get to decide the merits of what is a good or bad decision. That is a completely different argument, and NOT the one we were posting about.

We WERE talking about drug use... lets get back to what you were saying and implying.

daryn
03-04-2005, 09:25 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, back up faster next time.

You are not the judge of morality. You do not get to decide the merits of what is a good or bad decision. That is a completely different argument, and NOT the one we were posting about.

We WERE talking about drug use... lets get back to what you were saying and implying.

[/ QUOTE ]

my stance is very simple. i am still talking about drug use. i see it as a bad thing in general. the same way i see drinking alcohol as a bad thing in general, even though i am known to go out and get shitfaced. i guess i just equate drug use and bad decision.

i am not backing up, i have no idea what that was in reference to.

i do not believe that only idiots do drugs. i do not believe that there are no very intelligent people who do drugs. i do not believe in the tooth fairy. i do believe in equal rights for all men and women.

thatpfunk
03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for clearing it up.

I'm going to bed.

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Will they score for me? God yes, I hope.

BeerMoney
03-04-2005, 09:36 AM
This is about a guy named Jeff Allison. He went to Peabody HS in MA. (Pee buh dee, not Pee Body)He was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft. He screwed it all up using OxyContin.

Globe Article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/12/13/reclaiming_his_life_and_his_life_in_baseball/)

Real good article.

I know 3 people whose life has been screwed up by this drug.

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Kids should stop taking pharmaceuticals. The only thing particularly evil about OxyContin is that it greatly facilitates idiocy--but its not actually any different than eating a number of percocet, of course, just no acetiminophen [censored] up your liver. I dunno---this is a "new drug scourge" 'cause it effects suburban white kids, methinks. Still sucks, but vastly overhyped.

BeerMoney
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kids should stop taking pharmaceuticals. The only thing particularly evil about OxyContin is that it greatly facilitates idiocy--but its not actually any different than eating a number of percocet, of course, just no acetiminophen [censored] up your liver. I dunno---this is a "new drug scourge" 'cause it effects suburban white kids, methinks. Still sucks, but vastly overhyped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry pal, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Oh yeah, and I guess since its affecting white suburbia it should be ignored.

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Good read. Yeah, I know nothing about this stuff. And no, it shouldn't be ignored, but it is a COMPARATIVELY minor problem--even for white suburbia. Sorry, but "OxyContin" is a household word because of slow news days. You clearly have very little idea what you are talking about.

daryn
03-04-2005, 10:00 AM
you both have claimed that the other doesn't know what he is talking about. great! do you know each other? what? you don't? wow.. you guys must both be psychic then.

let's start talking facts baby!

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say: "I know 3 kids who have screwed up their life using this drug."

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
stop trying to elevate the level of discourse on this forum. I haven't slept yet.

daryn
03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
me neither. let's talk about that.

the past few weeks i've really been trying to get on a regular sleep schedule, so i can.. you know.. see the sun and all. well i finally figured out how to do it. stay up all day!

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I keep trying to get on a normal sleep schedule. That means that every other day I'm really, really, [censored] exhausted, because I haven't quite slept, but I still get to bed as the sun rises. Then I give up and sleep until three or four in the afternoon. Its amazing, once I'm really tired, how [censored] long it is before I can go to sleep.

gonores
03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Am I the only one who didn't do drugs because he was deathly afraid of catching an ass-whooping from the old man? I hate to scare all the progressive thinkers around here, but I'm thinking that's gonna be my line as well.

daryn
03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
i can sleep at any time of the day, on command. i just don't. i can be sitting here like, alright let's get to bet it's 2am. i can wake up at 10am and have a semi-normal day.. but i just don't do it. i find shows to watch, or poker games to play, and next thing i know people are waking up for work.

daryn
03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one who didn't do drugs because he was deathly afraid of catching an ass-whooping from the old man? I hate to scare all the progressive thinkers around here, but I'm thinking that's gonna be my line as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like it.

Lazymeatball
03-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I can only sleep when I know I have to work in 8 hours, other than that, I always feel like I'm missing out on something if I go to sleep so I just stay up and keep doing stuff, as if it won't be there tomorrow.

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, maybe I could go to sleep, but the important thing is I don't. Again and again. Hence OOT.

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 10:37 AM
What if there is one of those freakish size differentials, and you are staring down your son who has six inches and thirty pounds on you? The fatherhood advantage is big, but still, there are 15 yr. olds who can pound their dad, and I'm not sure I'd like that. Maybe get them to experiment while they are still real small, and thus easily beatable?

daryn
03-04-2005, 10:48 AM
What if there is one of those freakish size differentials, and you are staring down your son who has six inches and thirty pounds on you? The fatherhood advantage is big, but still, there are 15 yr. olds who can pound their dad, and I'm not sure I'd like that. Maybe get them to experiment while they are still real small, and thus easily beatable?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's more to it than size.

BeerMoney
03-04-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say: "I know 3 kids who have screwed up their life using this drug."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and I blame it all on them. However, we will continue to see more people screw themselves up on this. You are from MA, right? You will know someone addicted to this crap. Its gross. I think this stuff is more popular in the Northeast than other states, but it will gain popularity across the country unfortunately.

To be honest, I think people use drugs because of personal problems. Emptiness, etc. Not simply because they tried something, and then BAM!! I still think you have to TRY to get addicted to stuff. My response to natedogg would be to simply take an active role in your kids' lives, and they won't be drug addicts.

In a response to an article written on Jeff Allison, one person from Peabody wrote that OxyCOntin is a huge problem throughout Peabody, not just with Allison. that's the way it is in my hometown too. This stuff is very addictive, and people really can't take themselves off of it due to the withdrawals. A lot of people end up using heroine because Oxy is an opiate, but heroine is much cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

B00T
03-04-2005, 12:23 PM
This thread sucks. What a waste of 10 minutes.

gonores
03-04-2005, 12:43 PM
If I ever had the gall to fight back while catching a whooping (though I learned my lesson very early on in life as to how to avoid hostile physical contact from papa), my dad would make every day under his roof a living hell, up until my 18th birthday, when I would be assuredly kicked out. Parental dependency can be a real bitch.

astroglide
03-04-2005, 11:50 PM
i wouldn't play buddy with my kids about it and i would lie to their face about having done them, but i would say that several of my regular friends did. it still discourages it but it doesn't make you an outsider.

wacki
03-04-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Son, I won't punish you for doing drugs, but here's the rule. Any time you're gonna smoke out or do other drugs, you gotta call me first and tell me. If you don't tell me and I find out, THEN you get busted. Got it?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst plan ever. There is no way you can keep your half of the bargain if they keep theirs. Your attitude will change no matter how hard you try.

tbach24
03-05-2005, 12:15 AM
As long as he doesn't start f'ing up in school or become noticably very different, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

I am 17 and have been to 4 high schools in 3 years. I'll be going to my 5th next year. I haven't had much of a drug problem, but I do know many people who have/do. The main thing that they don't understand, is why it's such a big deal. Marijuana can't kill a person, but it can introduce you to worse drugs. If you flip out, that's the worst thing you can do. If you completely leave it alone, that's also bad. Just notice it, be friendly about it, and most importantly, don't let him fall off track socially or academically. That could lead him down an awful path (like the one that I'm finishing up.)

Good luck with it.

microbet
03-05-2005, 05:54 PM
First of all, your kids should be nerds. That will certainly help.

In my family we had 3 brothers and I don't think any of us did any drugs or drinking until college - one of my brothers may have drank a bit. None of us has ever had a problem with drugs.

Here's why:

We were fairly nerdy (I still am), especially my older brother and myself (I'm in the middle). So a lot of friends were not doing drugs or drinking.

My parents were never intoxicated though my mom would sometimes have some wine. She had no problem with us having a taste, even as small children. When we were older all my parents ever said was never to drink and drive or drive with anyone who did and that we should always feel free to call them if we need to be picked up.

Now for the real reasons why we didn't do drugs or drink. In my family, especially myself, my older brother and my father, there is an incredibly powerful sense of shame. Our sense of shame is so acute that we would never do anything that would be shameful. Mostly this sense was developed by ruthlessly making fun of even the tiniest mistake.

We literally made fun of my little brother for years for mispronouncing a word when he was about 8. One time I looked over an overpass at night(this is hard to spit out the shame is so great) and saw a bunch of headlights. For some reason, I saw it as a big group of motorcycles rather than just cars and I exitedly said 'hey look at all those motorcycles'. I heard about that one for a decade.

Growing up in this environment how can you possibly get drunk and make a fool of yourself? Well, you can't. Not at least until you move off to college.

How do you foster such an environment? Simple, just make fun of your kids.

Ok, maybe there is some cost-benefit analysis to be done here.

bholdr
03-05-2005, 06:15 PM
just be open enough with your kids that they'll tell you after they get high. (it sounds like you are).

Stress that responsibility doesn't mean 'don't do drugs or have any fun', but rather 'don't put yourself in dangerous situations when you're doing drugs/ having fun'

Kids that have to hide their smoking/drinking/drug use are the ones that end up getting high with the wrong people, getting arrested because they wern't comfortable taking a puff in their backyards, buying god-only-knows-what off of the streets, etc.

Kids who's parents teach them about responsibility and respect for their bodies rarely become anything more than recreational users, and drug use for them becomes a fun hobby and not a form of rebellion- if their authourity figure (you) doesn't freak out about a little weed, then you've pre-empted that urge to rebel.

my personal position is:

there is nothing at all fundamentally wrong with smoking marajuana, just like there is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol. they are means to an end (a little buzz), and the abuse of those substances is the problem, not the substances themselves. there are definitly health risks associated with either, but what the hell doesn't have health risks these days?

drugs like coke, crack, heroin, x, meth, etc: there is no fundamental problem with these either, but the potential for abuse is much higher... so i'd like to see them stay illegal.

When I have kids, the second i catch them taking a toke, they'll hear about my whole history with drugs (i'vd done a little bit of damn near everything, though i never really abused anything), and will hopefully make the right choices for themselves. i'll do my best to give them the information and perspective they'll need to do that.

GL, natedogg, you're gonna need it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

microbet
03-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Teach your children that their bodies were gifts from Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior, and that only in His Love and not through drugs and alchohol will they find true peace and joy.

Sponger15SB
03-05-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Teach your children that their bodies were gifts from Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior, and that only in His Love and not through drugs and alchohol will they find true peace and joy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, lying to them would do the trick.

wacki
03-06-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, lying to them would do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is that people who don't drink in moderation have much higher rates of numerous diseases.