PDA

View Full Version : Good deeds and recognition

Chris Daddy Cool
03-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Suppose you do something good, like drop a hundred dollar bill in a donation box for charity and just move on your day. Later that day, you hear from around the way that "Somebody donated a hundred dollar bill in the charity box." and you overhear a discussion of what a great guy this person must be, how generous, warm, kind, and wonderful he is and they wonder who this mystery benefactor is. Do you at any point step in and mention that it was you who did the good deed and get the recognition and praise or do you keep it to yourself satisfied that you've done a good deed?

MarkL444
03-04-2005, 05:44 AM
no

jaxUp
03-04-2005, 05:45 AM
The funny thing to do is to say, "Yeah that was me you cheap fuckers, whatd did you give a [censored] dollar? Youre going to hell for sure."

If you're not going to use a funny response then I just don't say anything, and feel good about myself for the day (maybe 2 if I drop a hundred bucks)

EDIT: ^^I can't believe the censor doesn't get that!!!

jason_t
03-04-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart
03-04-2005, 05:46 AM
A few considerations:

A) What's the charity?

B) Will a woman be at the end of the road?

MarkL444
03-04-2005, 05:48 AM
its all situational, i guess there are some (few) instances where you could casually say that it was you. but this depends on who youre saying it to. most of the time the answer is no.

jason_t
03-04-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
B) Will a woman be at the end of the road?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is woman dependent; some will be impressed and show respect that you donated $100 to charity; others wil be pissed that you didn't drop the $100 on them. B[/i]itches.

tolbiny
03-04-2005, 05:52 AM
no you don't step up?

or no, you don't ever drop a 100$ in the box?

Reef
03-04-2005, 05:54 AM
that should be satisfaction enough ... otherwise your true intentions are shady.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-04-2005, 05:54 AM
What if there's something to be gained for yourself by telling? i.e. maybe a hot chick will be impressed, 15 minutes of fame, respect from others, etc, etc.

partygirluk
03-04-2005, 05:55 AM
My first instinct was "no", but if you help persuade others to donate, then it becomes a "yes". Very complex issue.

mr pink
03-04-2005, 05:57 AM
doing a good deed for the recognition of it doesn't really count imo... read up on Kant and the categorical imperative if you're into philosophy.

a good deed is done because it is good, not because it will make you feel good about yourself.

mr pink
03-04-2005, 05:59 AM
if you're doing a good deed for selfish reasons, then it's not really a good deed, at least in the moral sense.

Michael Davis
03-04-2005, 05:59 AM
"a good deed is done because it is good, not because it will make you feel good about yourself."

This can't possibly be true. Even if you don't tell anyone about what you did, there is still a psychological component involving a sense of community and feeling good about yourself. If people didn't get anything out of giving to charity, they wouldn't do it. A truly "selfless" action wouldn't make any sense.

-Michael

MarkL444
03-04-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no you don't step up?

or no, you don't ever drop a 100$ in the box?

[/ QUOTE ]

what was the question?

mr pink
03-04-2005, 06:13 AM
if the act itself or "good deed" makes you feel good about yourself, then it is inherently a selfish act. a truely "good" deed in the kantian sense has no self fulfillment involved.

a truely "good" deed is done not because it will make you feel good about yourself, or so you can brag to others... it is done because it needs to be done.

say some rich guy gives a million dollars to a charity... people might say "wow what a good person". but if deep down, he donated the money because he felt guilty about being a billionaire and wanted people to think he was a really a nice guy -- then it's really not a good deed, because his own desires and selfishness caused it.

The Dude
03-04-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A truly "selfless" action wouldn't make any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand (and expect) that most people in this world would have a hard time uderstanding this. It's not a reflection of their character, it's a reflection of their worldview.

The Dude
03-04-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but if deep down, he donated the money because he felt guilty about being a billionaire and wanted people to think he was a really a nice guy -- then it's really not a good deed, because his own desires and selfishness caused it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. And so would Kant.

mr pink
03-04-2005, 06:18 AM
dude,

i agree. most people don't understand what a truly selfless act is. even if they think they did, they would probably just be imitating something they saw in a movie - so that they could say that they did something really amazing - which is selfish in a way and defeats the real meaning of their action in the first place.

mr pink
03-04-2005, 06:18 AM
nah, he wouldn't.

jimdmcevoy
03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
What would Jesus do?

MarkL444
03-04-2005, 06:21 AM
i also think people might resent you for this if you tell them. again it depends on the situation (how well off everyone is i guess). it might look like you are showing off.

The Dude
03-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes, he would. In Kantian ethics, motives mean nothing. All that matters is that one fulfills his/her duty. Seriously, how can you say that Kant believed motives mattered? This is not something that he's ambiguous about.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Is it still a "good deed" if you donate a million dollars to starving kids in Africa because you know that they need food and since you know they can now eat you will feel happy about it?

jaxUp
03-04-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it still a "good deed" if you donate a million dollars to starving kids in Africa because you know that they need food and since you know they can now eat you will feel happy about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I differentiate "good deed" and "selfless act." A good deed is something that you do which benefits humanity, or the environment or whatever.
A selfless act is something done without any regards to how it will make you feel. I feel that not all "selfless acts" are necessarily "good deeds" and vice versa.

MarkL444
03-04-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of reminds me of those things where you can sponsor a child for $x a month or whatever. They send you a picture, but why? Is it because people are actually curious to see what this child looks like? Or is it so that they can have something to remind them of their good deed, to help them feel better about themselves, to put on the fridge so everyone else can see their good deed?

mr pink
03-04-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, he would. In Kantian ethics, motives mean nothing. All that matters is that one fulfills his/her duty. Seriously, how can you say that Kant believed motives mattered? This is not something that he's ambiguous about.

[/ QUOTE ]

kant's morality is universally based on reason... reason is found in motives. if those motives are in any way selfish, kant would say they are immoral.

mr pink
03-04-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you send the money because you feel a moral responsibility to send it, then it's a "good deed". but if you're sending it so you can feel better about yourself and sleep good at night, then it's more of a selfish act than a selfless act.

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:39 AM
its no longer a great deed once u claim recognition for it...it becomes a mediocore deed...i get more pleasure out of never telling and seeing that person happy...or making sure whoever knows never tells. These make me feel like it was truely a good deed

i woulda been like...wow that was nice of someone - agree with them...and smiled inside...its enough "recognition" for me to know that money is helping someone

peachy
03-04-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My first instinct was "no", but if you help persuade others to donate, then it becomes a "yes". Very complex issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

uuummm it should motivate either way....identity dosent need to known

Shajen
03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you at any point step in and mention that it was you who did the good deed and get the recognition and praise or do you keep it to yourself satisfied that you've done a good deed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, no need to brag...

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't need to mention it--it is widely and openly acknowledged what a wonderful person I am, and I presume that all present would assume I left the 100 bucks, if not significantly more.

BeerMoney
03-04-2005, 09:53 AM
People do things all the time to impress other people. They work extra hard to get a good job, they work on their bodies, they get tans, they buy expensive cars, designer clothes. Now someone gives their money to a worthy cause, and its wrong to get acknowledged? If you want acknowledgement, thats fine, if you don't thats fine too. either way, we all know the most important part was the deed.