PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 Hand #1

Moneyline
03-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Party 3/6 9 handed... SB and BB hadn't been involved in many pots up to this point, but I had only been at the table a short while so I couldn't be sure if they were tight players or not

I open limp in EP with A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif, loose MP calls, sb completes, bb checks.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players, 4 sb)

Checked around

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (4 players, 4 sb)

SB checks, BB bets, I call, MP calls, SB folds

River: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players, 5BB)

BB bets, I raise, MP 3-bets, BB calls, I call.

Comments appreciated...

Chris Daddy Cool
03-04-2005, 05:09 AM
hi, keep in mind that i don't play any o8 at all,

but i'd fold preflop.

flop good.

i would fold the turn. you're playing for half the pot in an incredibly tiny pot and you'd hate for it to get raised.

i wouldn't raise the river, i would try to go for overcalls. you're playing for half the pot and a raise could fold out a high hand that may overcall or a weaker low hand and you may be getting quartered.

DasLeben
03-04-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but i'd fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Omaha Hi/Lo, this is a fairly strong starting hand.

At any rate, I'd play this the same.

bholdr
03-04-2005, 06:07 AM
in omaha 8 this is a very weak starting hand. all he has ia A2 and a suited A... this hand is good online up to 1/2, no higher.

bottom line is: he's playing for half the pot, and in a tight game, probably 1/4 of the pot.

zero counterfeit proection, and nothing beyond a suited ace for high. without 3 or more limpers ahead, it's an easy fold, IMO.

DasLeben
03-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Based on the play at 3/6, I'd be hard pressed to say that even just a suited A2 is very weak. You're correct in that there is no real counterfeit protection, but there is a high opportunity present (albeit not phenomenal). With enough people in the pot, I don't see this hand as unprofitable.

But that's me.

gergery
03-04-2005, 09:33 AM
As far has hands I'd play with UTG, this is pretty weak but I think it's still profitable to play on most Party 3-6 tables. I play flop and river the same.

I'd raise the turn very often here. Getting MP to fold would clean up ALOT of outs for you and vastly improve you chances of getting half or scooping.

The big difference here is that vs. one opponent some of the followign may win, but vs. two its much less likely:

Your 99 might win high
Hitting A,7,2 might win high with 2 pair
Hitting A,2 might let your 7 win low

Even if you run into trouble, hitting a 9 or 3,5,6,7,8 probably wins you something.

Add the folding equity, and the fact that your $6 bet might help you win half at $15 or even all at $30 and i think raise is best.

--Greg

pokahpro
03-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Preflop: Fine

Flop: Check/Fold, your playing for half the pot. I don't think you'll have pot odds worth playing from here on out.

I play lower limits so maybe that's why I would play so different.

03-04-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far has hands I'd play with UTG, this is pretty weak but I think it's still profitable to play on most Party 3-6 tables. I play flop and river the same.

I'd raise the turn very often here. Getting MP to fold would clean up ALOT of outs for you and vastly improve you chances of getting half or scooping.

The big difference here is that vs. one opponent some of the followign may win, but vs. two its much less likely:

Your 99 might win high
Hitting A,7,2 might win high with 2 pair
Hitting A,2 might let your 7 win low

Even if you run into trouble, hitting a 9 or 3,5,6,7,8 probably wins you something.

Add the folding equity, and the fact that your $6 bet might help you win half at $15 or even all at $30 and i think raise is best.

--Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I agree (not that my agreeing makes it a good post ...). BB gives you a chance to make this a heads-up pot. Given that it doesn't look like anyone else has anything, and you've got a nut-low draw, you should take it.

Moneyline
03-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I took 1/4.
BB had A234 rainbow for nut low and a pair of 4s for high
MP had Ad Kd 8c 5h for a rivered gutshot non-nut straight.

At risk of being results oriented, I think raising the turn was the right play.

akaLogic
03-04-2005, 11:33 PM
After check, check, you must bet the flop.

Buzz
03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Moneyline - You have to hate getting three bet on the river. But you did have the nut low plus two pair. Until you get three bet, things look good for 3/4 or even a possible scoop.

I think your play on all betting rounds was fine.

No suggestions.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

Beavis68
03-05-2005, 12:04 PM
I am suprised you would continue on such a small pot past the turn buzz, seems like it is break even at best.

Buzz
03-05-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am suprised you would continue on such a small pot past the turn buzz,

[/ QUOTE ]

Beavis - I would have folded to a bet on the flop, but there was no bet on the flop. Then when the turn is a favorable card, things look brighter.

It's a close decision, IMHO, on the turn. Considering the betting, it doesn't look much like anybody else has anything either.

Hero has to wince when MP 3-bets on the river. Hero was probably hoping the raise would coax MP into folding a slightly better high hand than Hero's - which might have garnered Hero the high half of the pot for a scoop or 3/4. The tactic didn't work out that way this time, but next time it might.

[ QUOTE ]
seems like it is break even at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Played a hundred times, I think Hero will roughly break even.

I do advocate tight play - just not too tight. And I like to look less tight than I realy am. Assuming you play tightly, by playing rather than folding in these close situations, I think you disguise your tight image a bit. That (false advertising) doesn't help on this (break even) hand, but it might help on future hands when you have the nuts and want customers.

And the more you fold to bets the weaker your image becomes. It's hard to profit from a weak image.

Finally, it's more fun to play than to fold.

I'm not adamant about calling the turn. But I'd probably call the turn and then raise on the river, just as Hero did.

Just my opinion.

Buzz