PDA

View Full Version : Interesting slowplay?

Derek in NYC
03-04-2005, 04:07 AM
I was not involved in this pot, but I thought it was an interesting slowplay by the UTG player, who held AQo. The lack of draws on the board, the small pot, the small field, and the fact that only 1 overcard (a king) could fall to mess things up, made this interesting. Do you think you give up bets doing this slowplay, or do you think that the natural tendency of SH players to make plays at checked flops with middle/bottom pair, make this a positive EV slowplay?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

mr pink
03-04-2005, 05:48 AM
yeah it's goot

einbert
03-04-2005, 06:07 AM
I like just calling the turn and raising the river against most players. But then again I would bet the flop against most players.

Against LPPs who will probably call down with any pair or A high but won't bet the river often, this line is perfect.

tolbiny
03-04-2005, 06:13 AM
I don't like it.

Coldcallers often have

1. Pocket pairs that they will put a bet in on the flop with, but not likely 2 on the turn.

2. A8-AJ- again your turn raise may knock out A8 when he is perfectly willing to put in multiple bets, as long as they come one at a time.

3. KJ, KT- giving them a free card on the flop with 4 outs isn't so good.

einbert
03-04-2005, 06:16 AM
KJ and KT have only 3 outs on this flop.

I think it's okay, there are a few 5-out hands that I want to stick around but I also want to pay me. In general I think betting the flop is liable to get 2.5BBs more often from a PP or a worse Q, so that's the line I'm taking most of the time here.

tolbiny
03-04-2005, 06:28 AM
"KJ and KT have only 3 outs on this flop"

They also have backdoor straight draws, and mya have backdoor flush draws.

The thing about shorthanded play is that single bets rarely pick up pots on the flop- even heads up/three handed, and players will stick around with backdoor flush and straight draws.
You make a lot more off of them when they call a flop bet, than you do when the pick up the turn draw and call 2 cold.

I only like the play of checking here when the coldcaller will bet whne checked to a large percentage of the time, planning on trying to trap the sb for 2 bets on the flop.

einbert
03-04-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"KJ and KT have only 3 outs on this flop"

They also have backdoor straight draws, and mya have backdoor flush draws.

The thing about shorthanded play is that single bets rarely pick up pots on the flop- even heads up/three handed, and players will stick around with backdoor flush and straight draws.
You make a lot more off of them when they call a flop bet, than you do when the pick up the turn draw and call 2 cold.

I only like the play of checking here when the coldcaller will bet whne checked to a large percentage of the time, planning on trying to trap the sb for 2 bets on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah good point, I didn't see the straight draws.

I agree with you that betting the whole way against most players is the best line.