PDA

View Full Version : 1v1 poker, Playing it well?

Radio
03-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Im interested in playing in some 1v1 games offerd on alot of sites. Does anybody have some links to good articals about how to play 1v1 poker well?. I know that you can learn to play 1v1 to perfection and simply play perfect poker and at least break even.

zephed56
03-04-2005, 04:24 AM
Best thing you can do is play. There are .02/.04 limit heads-up games on pokerstars. They take no rake out from these small games too.

You'll have to play different against different types of opponents, so there is no "perfect" formula for play. Just figure out your opponents weaknesses and exploit them. Watch out for shifts in their strategies.

If they bluff too much, encourage more bluffing and do more calling. Don't try free card plays on lags.

If they never bluff, avoid giving them action on their made hands. Try getting free cards.

If they fold too much, bluff more.

If they call too much, value bet them with weaker hands. They will often be calling with a missed hand.

You get the point.

Radio
03-04-2005, 04:30 AM
Yeah i get the point but i still need some idea of what hands i should always open raise with ect ect Just to get me started. Are there any heads up starting hand charts or anything like that out their?

Brom
03-04-2005, 05:24 AM
One common approach is to always raise if you plan on playing the hand and you have the button position.

Another style is to simply always raise if you plan on playing. You want to press your opponent as much as possible to fold so you might as well start on the first round of betting.

Notice how this strategy works well for almost any playable hand. If you have high cards you want to raise for value. If you have low cards you can raise for bluff value and/or deception, and you can now get paid off if you hit that low flop and he expects you to have high cards. If you have some sort of suited hand, raising helps to build up a pot that is more suitable to a drawing type hand.

If you are always raising and you can take control of your opponent then you have the advantage of knowing where he's at while he will never be able to figure out where you're at. This is all assuming that you are up against the type of opponent who will bow to your will like this (and these opponents are not that hard to find at low stakes games).

Radio
03-04-2005, 05:28 AM
And what do you do if your up against someone whom is doing the same against you. Raises everything? It would Just turn into a rasising war! And what about post flop, continue to raise aggresivly? Or play a more normal style.

stigmata
03-04-2005, 05:33 AM
I think that's what a good heads-up match up will look like: lots of preflop/flop action, 3-betting with medium strength hands, semi-bluff re-raising etc.

E.g. see this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1614385&fpa rt=1&PHPSESSID=)