PDA

View Full Version : any good way to move up?

tommo
03-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm not going to quote numbers because everybody just gets bothered by that including myself.

Right now I am beating the .50$ BB games, I'm at about 20k hands and I pull a very good win rate. However, I can only play about 15 hours a week, I'm a student and have a lot of classes.

I know there are some calculations for what kind of bankroll you need to play at the 2$ BB based on variation and expected win rate. But I don't know what my variation or expected win rate would be at the higher Buyins.

So the essential question is. How does expected win rate/variance at lower stakes transform into win rate/variation at higher stakes and How much money should I have in my bankroll before I try to move up stakes? (I'm trying to pay for college debts and that is why I'd like to move up quickly)?

Does anybody have some quick numbers they can quote me?
ie: "I played 20K hands at .50 BB and won xBB/100 hands and now I play at 2$ BB and win yBB/100 hands"

edge
03-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Well, for one thing, have more than 5 buy-ins if you plan to move up levels. I didn't, and it didn't turn out great. I'd say 15 for the new level is fine, if you're ok with moving back down if you hit a rough stretch to start.

If you're a consistent winner at whatever level you play, try moving up. You won't know if you can beat the next level without trying, so go for it.

jimdmcevoy
03-04-2005, 03:44 AM
I can't say exactly how much, but generally win rate/variance goes down as you move up limits. At the same time though, you are becoming a better player, so it's hard to say.

FWIW here is my system:

have at least 10 buy-ins, or else drop down limits.

If I get up to 20 buy-ins at my current limit and 2 buy-ins at the next highest limit, move up limits.

The reason for 2 buy-ins as opposed to 1 is that it gives you a bit more of a chance to get accustomed to the higher limits.

jdl22
03-04-2005, 04:07 AM
I would say take a shot but have a catch. For example, say you have 10 buyins at the next level and you think you are a winning player in that game. Single table it until you either net 10 more buyins or lose two. That could end quickly or you could win a lot early and never look back.

Only do this if you are disciplined enough to drop back down if you drop a couple buyins. Otherwise it's a good way to devastate your roll. Also I wouldn't reccomend trying this with less than ten because even after you drop down you won't have ten buyins which is risky. Going broke will cause you to take much, much longer to move up.

zaxx19
03-04-2005, 04:21 AM
Well, for one thing, have more than 5 buy-ins if you plan to move up levels. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Uh ....unless you mean from 01-02cent I dont know any solid player that would believe 5 buyins is even remotely close.

15-25 is good.

BradleyT
03-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Why are you jumping from .50BB to $2BB? Where's the $100 love?

tommo
03-04-2005, 04:43 AM
I've built up a 5000$ bankroll...but I guess you're right, better to go up in steps.

jimdmcevoy
03-04-2005, 04:49 AM
yah dude, I say at least play $1 BB for 5K hands just for experience sake

edge
03-04-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, for one thing, have more than 5 buy-ins if you plan to move up levels. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Uh ....unless you mean from 01-02cent I dont know any solid player that would believe 5 buyins is even remotely close.

15-25 is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 5 on the site and a bit more sitting in Neteller and I decided to take a look at the new tables Party was offering. I proceeded to drop almost 4 buy-ins. That was kind of funny, but also not really. It goes quick on three tables if things aren't going great.

Personally, I think 25 is way more than most people should need, but maybe I'm just a trigger-happy young gun. My goal is more to move up to bigger games than to thoroughly prove I can beat lesser ones. Other people who play full-time may want to be more careful than me.

jdl22
03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've built up a 5000$ bankroll...but I guess you're right, better to go up in steps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no. I think most people including me here were assuming that you were asking about moving up with a questionable roll. I would suggest moving up to the 200 game or so and play for a bit. If you don't feel comfortable then drop down a level. Moving up in steps will be really slow and you have plenty of cushion if you move up to 200 level and drop a few buyins.

iceman5
03-04-2005, 09:42 PM
First of all, I think you SHOULD quote some numbers. You say youre a winning player so Im sure you are, but how much are you beating the game? Are you beating it or domintating it? This has a great deal to do with whether or not you should move up.

Also, how many buy ins do you have for the next highest game? Whats the most buy ins youve ever lost at your current game?

As other said, why are you wanting to jump 2 levels?

Theres not a big difference between a $50 NL game and a $100NL game....and theres not a huge difference between a $100NL game and a $200NL game,...BUT.....there most certainly is a big difference between a $50NL game and a $200NL game.

Not only in skill level, but the amounts of the bets are 4 times greater. You will go to bed after losing 4 times more than youve ever lost before some nights. This play a big part mentally.

20,000 hands is a good sample to get an idea of what you win rate might be, but not enough to have supreme confidence in your game. Believe me, when you move up youre going to get beat at first so you need a really good base at your previous stakes to give you confidence or your game will crumble.