PDA

View Full Version : Do you like/Have you heard (of) these bands?

Arsene Lupin III
03-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Here are a few bands that rock that I have not had the liberty of having seen discussed.

So discuss them with me!

BITCHES!!

Moxy Fruvous
Guster
The New Deal
moe.
The Art of Noise
John Scofield
Spring Heeled Jack (ska)
Charlie Hunter
Gomez
Topaz
Bela Fleck (and the flecktones, and VW's solo act)
Fantastic Plastic Machine
bonus: Tracked Music/Demoscene/S3M/IT/XM
doublebonus: Raisinhill

emonrad87
03-04-2005, 02:55 AM
I think guster is fairly mainstream now. I saw a video of theirs on MTV2. haven't heard of any of the others tho.

RainFall
03-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Art of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy is one of the best albums ever!

nothumb
03-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Heard Moxy Fruvous, they are a silly Canadian vocal group. All their fans are weird theater kids. So no, I don't listen to them for fear of catching the never-get-laid-by-a-chick-with-breasts-who-doesn't-play-tuba virus.

I like Charlie Hunter a lot. John Scofield, kind of meh. All those others I haven't listened to.

NT

UncleRemus
03-04-2005, 03:30 AM
The only one I've heard of on that list is the Flecktones, but if any of the other bands on there are anywhere near as good, I'll definitely have to check them out.

And I have a theory that Victor Wooten has to be god... How else can someone be *THAT* good...

InchoateHand
03-04-2005, 03:31 AM
You do too know Bela Fleck and don't deny it.

dr. klopek
03-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Wooten sucks.

JaBlue
03-04-2005, 03:55 AM
I really hope that's sarcasm.

JaBlue
03-04-2005, 03:56 AM
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are awesome. I saw them live and they played 5 hours. I've never seen a band that played that long of a set when scheduled for 2 hours. Vic is hands-down the world's most talented bassist.

John Scofield is also pretty cool, but not as good as Bela... .

Forbin
03-04-2005, 03:58 AM
moe. kicks ass. Very energetic live shows.

Guster, Art of Noise, Scofield, Hunter and Gomez are all decent.

Bela Fleck puts on some pretty good shows (both with and without the Flecktones).

I'd say moe is the best on that list.

bholdr
03-04-2005, 05:30 AM
I've seen about 90% of these bands. what does that say about my long-haired loser ass?

lucas9000
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here are a few bands that rock that I have not had the liberty of having seen discussed.

So discuss them with me!

BITCHES!!

Moxy Fruvous

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, they're ok. are they even around anymore?

[ QUOTE ]
Guster

[/ QUOTE ]

awful.

[ QUOTE ]
The New Deal

[/ QUOTE ]

fun to see live. other than that, meh.

[ QUOTE ]
moe.

[/ QUOTE ]

awful.

[ QUOTE ]
The Art of Noise
John Scofield

[/ QUOTE ]

scofield is very good, though i haven't seen him in a couple years so i can't attest to anything newer than that.

[ QUOTE ]
Spring Heeled Jack (ska)
Charlie Hunter

[/ QUOTE ]

charlie hunter owns. period. he gets bonus points for all the monkey faces he makes while he's playing.

[ QUOTE ]
Gomez
Topaz
Bela Fleck (and the flecktones, and VW's solo act)

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't seen the 'tones in at least 4 or 5 years, but i've seen them many times and they always were great. victor wooten is incredible.

MEbenhoe
03-04-2005, 11:21 AM
guster is the only band on that list I've heard of, and they tend to be more of an acquired taste. If you do like their music though, you will love them live.

Niwa
03-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Never heard any of those..

TylerD
03-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Gomez are the only band I've heard of in that list. I thought they were highly mediocre.

B Dids
03-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm like hella mypoic when it comes to music, and even my hip-hip listening to ass has heard of most these bands.

Through Mr. Lupin and his brother, I've listened to some moe. I like it.

edtost
03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Moxy Fruvous - it's been a while, but they had some cool stuff iirc
Guster - used to love it, good background music nowadays
moe. - meh
Bela Fleck (and the flecktones, and VW's solo act) - awesome.

CMP
03-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Moxy Fruvous - seen 'em live buncha times - less than Phish (in the 60s), but not sure if they're more than or less than GDead (both in the 30s); great harmonies, funny, great ballads too, and awesome covers. I think they've been broken up for 3-4 years now.

moe. - seen 'em several times opening for other bands or at festivals - never really did it for me

John Scofield - solid; I've got "A-Go-Go" with Medeski, Martin, and Wood as his backing trio, and "Bump" which is also good

Charlie Hunter - so amazing; love him solo, with just the 8-string guitar

Topaz - really liked these guys, but my only exposure was them in an opening slot for Robert Walters 20th Congress, or Karl Denson, or some Greyboy incarnation - I would check them out again if they came to my town on their own

Bela Fleck (and the flecktones, and VW's solo act) - pretty much agree with what's been said before; special note that his purer bluegrass stuff is good too

CMP

nothumb
03-04-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do too know Bela Fleck and don't deny it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I just forgot. I like some of his stuff. Wooten is an animal but he's only really good w/ the full band.

NT

Arsene Lupin III
03-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Interesting to see that the poppier bands were the ones most likely to be branded as lame while anyone who'd heard the more technically/theoretically proficient bands either either loved or was indifferent to them. I think people have an inherent aversion to catchy music, although bela fleck has a few songs that fit both of the above categories.

Fruvous is still broken up, yes.

I still don't agree with anyone who said that any of these bands suck, tho :]