PDA

View Full Version : Bad Play Or Bad Luck?

MrMon
03-04-2005, 02:33 AM
You play this game long enough, you see everything. I'm pretty sure I played this well, especially at the end, despite the fact I lost after being way, way, ahead. Feel free to disagree, but please tell me why.

I'm going to include what they were playing with up front, along with why I played it the way I did.

Paradise $20+$2 SNG
Blinds 10/20

Seat 1: UTG+1 (829.00 in chips)
Seat 2: ShortStack (695.00 in chips)
Seat 3: MP (879.00 in chips)
Seat 4: MP+1 (1,260.00 in chips)
Seat 5: CO-1 (1,420.00 in chips)
Seat 6: CO (980.00 in chips)
Seat 7: Hero (Button) (1,017.00 in chips)
Seat 8: SB (920.00 in chips)
Seat 9: BB (900.00 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG (1,100.00 in chips)

UTG: Call (20)
UTG+1: Fold
ShortStack: Call (20)
MP : Call (20) 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
MP+1 : Fold
CO-1: Call (20) A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
CO: Call (20)
Hero: Call (20) 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB: Fold
BB: Check

Okay, I'm on the button, lots of limpers, I've got a suited connector, let's see what happens.

*** FLOP *** : 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bingo! Flopped the boat and I'm on the button. This is going to be profitable! How to get the most money out of everyone? Only way I'm behind at this point is to pocket 7s. Possible flush draw, straight could develop, which will pay well if they hit. Slowplay time.

In reality, I'm 99% to win at this point, though I don't know it. I do know I'm massively ahead. MP is 0.33%, CO-1 is 0.66%.

BB: Check
UTG: Check
ShortStack: Check
MP: Check
CO-1: Bet (50)
CO: Fold
Hero: Call (50)
BB: Fold
UTG: Fold
ShortStack: Fold
MP: Call (50)

*** TURN *** : [ 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ] [ 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

Developing beautifully. Definite straight draw has developed, still a flush draw. Don't want to scare them away. I see no threats on the board, unless another 8 hits, and what are the odds of that combined with someone would have to hold one?

As it turns out, someone does have an 8, but they're playing for an open ended straight. I'm 95.24% at this point, MP (Mr. 8) is 4.76% and CO-1 is drawing dead, but playing for the A high flush.

I suppose I could have taken it down here, or even raised, but I only lose to a higher full house, and what are the odds of that? The pot is pretty small, and I want a flush or straight to hit and then I can rake it in.

MP: Check
CO-1: Bet (45)
Hero: Call (45)
MP: Call (45)

*** RIVER *** : [ 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] [ 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

Uh oh! That completes the flush, but is someone holding an 8? (In retrospect, a straight flush was also a possibility, but to be honest, it never occured to me. They're so rare as to be off the radar. I almost never consider the possibility.)

MP: Bet (240)
CO-1: Call (240)
Mr. ColdCall suddenly leads out? For a very strange amount. My spidey-sense is tingling. That, and the words of Phil Gordon "Never raise a bet that will only be called by a hand that beats you". (See, you can learn something from bad TV poker!) I gotta call, but if he has that 8, I'm dead. Just call.
Hero: Call (240)

*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 1,155 | Board: [ 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
MP bet 355, collected 1,155, net +800 (showed hand) [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] (a full house, eights full of sixes)
Dead
CO-1 lost 355 [ A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif ] (a flush, ace high)
Arrgh, Ace high flush!
Hero lost 355 [ 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] (a full house, sixes full of eights)

Is there a different way to play this hand? Was I correct to assume I was almost a definite lock and to let everyone buy into the pot? Sure I lost, but I was a 99:1 favorite. The eventual winner was a 333:1 underdog! I'm pretty proud of just calling at the end, but was that correct as well? Or does it only look good because I lost?

The final irony? Since I lost, my hand was mucked. The winner never knew how lucky he really was.