PDA

View Full Version : Questionable play on the turn with an overpair

Miscreant
03-04-2005, 02:30 AM
UTG is 50% VPIP and a bit of a maniac post flop if he has any pair. BB just sat down, the way he played the flop made me think he was on a draw. After the hand I felt I misplayed by not pushing the turn but others at the table felt I should have folded the turn. I also think I might shouldve gone allin on the river after it was checked to me, the only thing Im sure of is I misplayed it somehow. Help.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($204.02)
CO ($246.81)
Button ($198.3)
SB ($93.35)
BB ($288.7)
UTG ($104.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $3, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($12.50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, BB calls $24, UTG calls $15.

Turn: ($87.50) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets $75.55 (allin), Hero calls $75.55, BB calls $75.55.

River: ($238.60) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $238.60

edge
03-04-2005, 03:53 AM
If UTG is a maniac with any pair, push the turn. BB really looks like he's on the 8 or a flush draw, so you might as well make him pay as much as you can.

Don't bet the river if you think someone was drawing on the turn (unless you have the nuts). That's good general advice, since you'll only get called if you misread your opponent, and check-calling can induce bluffs from missed draws.

MVicuna
03-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi,

BB has 3x the buyin, I can't believe he just sat down. He's stacked off at least once or twice so far. You should already have a good feel for him by now.

Lets put it this way, what do you think your chances are an over pair in a 3 way pot were everyone is all in on the turn on these 3 semi connected babies and another baby comes on the turn?

The BB bet was kinda lame, it does seem like he's trying to freeze betting, but when he calls 2 reraises he really could have a hand two pair thats decided to go passive with a big hand that he might not be comfortable going to the felt with.

With just a middle pair, even though its an over pair to the board, you don't want to be playing a big pot.

I really think raising here is the wrong answer. Just calling and seeing what BB does and what the turn brings is safer. Because your pot commited on the turn due to the pot size if you raise.

The turn. Well, BB just called, he could be on a draw, or is just going passive with a good big hand thats worried given the texture of the flop and the heavy action on the flop and the fact he doesn't want to get pot stuck.

Maniac pusing all in, well, if it was HU I'd say you should call, but the BB protects the pot from a bluff. Maybe the maniac knows this, maybe he doesn't, the question is, do you have the balls to call a river bet if the river is anything but an offsuit 8?

My guess is BB had a hand like 96s or 6/images/graemlins/club.gifX/images/graemlins/club.gif and wussed out and didn't push on the flop like he should have. Maniac probably has two pair with a 3 in it and either rivered a FH or your tens up took it down.

I doubt he folds ANY hand that beats you given he called $100 bucks already, the pots way to big for him to fold. That could be a reason to push, but I think this is to marginal of a situation to know if he'll make that big call with a worse hand. I mean, if he's on a draw he's folding and you put him on a draw. If your right about your read he's folding. If your wrong thats a 100BB mistake, you can't make those to often. He's not folding any hand better then tens up after calling $75 on the turn.

If he will call with a worse hand, its not nearly as big of a mistake as pushing. You extracted way more value out of your tens then you deserved to. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
MarkV.

KowCiller
03-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I fold this turn to UTG's stop and go all-in. Maniac or not, I don't see how I could possible be ahead with TT after the action on the flop.

KoW

BobboFitos
03-04-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this turn to UTG's stop and go all-in. Maniac or not, I don't see how I could possible be ahead with TT after the action on the flop.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

Miscreant
03-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the great replies, BB had been there maybe 10-15 minutes, I didnt notice how he got his chips (I might be playing too many tables or it was just too late in the session).

Anyway, you were pretty much dead on with your reads, UTG had 93 and BB had 63 clubs so I ended up lucky in this one. On the flop I felt I was up against something like 9x and a flush or straight draw with as many as 3 overcards to my tens between them so I figured I needed to either get out or reraise, maybe I didnt raise enough to get out the draws though though which was my intention.

MVicuna
03-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi,

If you raise more on the flop you pot stick EVERYONE if they call and are forcing yourself to showdown. This isn't 50BB NL anymore, going to the felt with over pairs or TPTK will get you broke.

Later,
MarkV.