PDA

View Full Version : JJ Hand to Talk About

mantasm
03-04-2005, 01:50 AM
BB and UTG are too loose and too passive. SB just sat down. I would like comments on the flop raise and the turn fold.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero folds.

Redd
03-04-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm just a little microer, but I'd be tempted to call it down against an unknown. To me, it seems like a close call, but let's wait to hear what the real poker players have to say about the hand.

Etric
03-04-2005, 02:14 AM
I don't usually cap with JJ. Other than that, I would play this hand the same way.

Willluck
03-04-2005, 02:21 AM
somewhat of a read dependent call but I fold this against an unknown, don't cap preflop.

Nate tha' Great
03-04-2005, 02:34 AM
I'd probably call down turn and river blanks if I can do it for one bet at a time, but folding right away might be best against a straightforward opponent. His betting into you after you've capped generally indicates a lot of strength. It's not a raise for value there on the flop and you won't fold out any hands that you'd like to fold.

Nate tha' Great
03-04-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably call down turn and river blanks if I can do it for one bet at a time, but folding right away might be best against a straightforward opponent. His betting into you after you've capped generally indicates a lot of strength. It's not a raise for value there on the flop and you won't fold out any hands that you'd like to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, the preflop cap is good. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-04-2005, 02:45 AM
i dont' like raising this flop at all.

mantasm
03-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Would your answer change if the BB and UTG weren't in there calling? I don't like the flop raise very much now either.

ropey
03-04-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't usually cap with JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have to cap here. Capping in this situation gives you a lot of information about SB hand...since you have position, you are forcing him to bet into your preflop cap, which generally indicates an extremely strong hand.

-ropey

ropey
03-04-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
somewhat of a read dependent call but I fold this against an unknown, don't cap preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have to cap preflop...especially because of your position. Force your opponent to bet into your preflop cap...Against a remotely normal opponent, he will not do this without a very strong hand.

-ropey

poboys
03-04-2005, 08:45 AM
When I first read this hand, I thought you're strategy was to do the ol' raise on the flop to check through the turn. Raising the flop and betting the turn is begging to be check raised.

Given that the SB bet into you after capping, I'd give him credit for a pocket pair. Your position with respect to the SB is bad for getting people in the middle to fold (you can't make them call 2 cold). Given that, I would raise the flop, check the turn and call SB's river bet, fold if SB got called before you were to act.

Grease
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Capping=good. What about just calling the flop? You're getting 20:1 here, and raising probably won't do much. You could try to buy a free card, but you only have two outs, so I'd rather just put in a small bet and try to spike a J. If you do raise the flop, you should check the turn.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-04-2005, 08:49 AM
I'll repeat again, I think raising this flop is not the correct play.

bakku
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first read this hand, I thought you're strategy was to do the ol' raise on the flop to check through the turn. Raising the flop and betting the turn is begging to be check raised.

Given that the SB bet into you after capping, I'd give him credit for a pocket pair. Your position with respect to the SB is bad for getting people in the middle to fold (you can't make them call 2 cold). Given that, I would raise the flop, check the turn and call SB's river bet, fold if SB got called before you were to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not sure you're sure about what you're talking about.