PDA

View Full Version : biggest rags

cyorg
03-04-2005, 01:00 AM
What are the worst cards for you that you play. Mine are AJ(suited or not). I don't win very often with it but i almost always play it when it's dealt to me.

emonrad87
03-04-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i almost always play it when it's dealt to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your problem right there.

cyorg
03-04-2005, 01:33 AM
I don't play it all the way to the river, but AJ is supposed to be a pretty good hand.

emonrad87
03-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Not if you're facing a raise.

Frequitude
03-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Agreed.

What if you are facing a EP-early MP raise? Cold-calling with AJ is deadly here (bad deadly)...(let alone cold-calling anything).

What could the EP PFR reasonably have? Assuming a somewhat aggressive player, perhaps:
AA-TT
AKs-ATs
KQs-KJs
AKo-AJo
KQo

Now which of these hands do you really want to play AJ against? Maybe ATs, KQs, KJs, and KQo. TT is the bad end of a coin flip, and the rest have you dominated. It seems like a choice between a rare big advantage (ATs, KJs), a rare slight-modest advantage (KQs/o), a bad coinflip (TT), or a massive disadvantage. I don't know how to crank the numbers here, but surely this is -EV.

Now move to the typical weak-tighty on party and that could leave you with: AA-TT, AKs/o-AQs/o. NOW AJ is really screwed. You faced with either a rare poor coinflip (TT), or domination. No number cranking here, this is definitely -EV.

I'm pretty new here, but this is a large lesson that I have taken away from SSH and lurking 2+2. Perhaps the vets could add more, but the point is, and emonrad87 summed it up nice, "not if you're facing a raise".

...just thought I'd take a shot and explain why. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DeeJ
03-04-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the worst cards for you that you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer your question, assuming I'm not checking in the BB, I comple in SB with 32s with 4 or more limpers in before me.

Next question please.

Frequitude
03-04-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I comple in SB with 32s with 4 or more limpers in before me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice. Yep, that would be the "worst" hand I'd play too.

What he's saying is that it completely depends on the situation. There are so many things you must consider, i.e.:
"What position am I in"
"Has it been raised"..."By who"..."How many have called"
"Is it folded to me"
"Who is a TAG"..."Who is a fish"
"How many limpers"..."How loose are they".

For example, the "worst" hand I would play UTG might be TJs, while I may open for a raise in the CO with any Ace, hoping for a steal, but fold if someone has already limped.

Basically, EVERYTHING depends on your situation. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of Small Stakes Hold'em (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1880685329/qid=1109948876/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-6682728-2599236) and reading it over and over until you get it, and then over and over again. I just finished my first read-through and it has already done wonders for my game. Hell, although they may not be perfect, I never could have made either of these posts a week ago. w00t 2+2 /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sfer
03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Flop me a wheel.

pokerjunky
03-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I always open raise (notice I said open) AJ from any position and have pretty good success (39% winrate).

TimM
03-04-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the worst cards for you that you play. Mine are AJ(suited or not). I don't win very often with it but i almost always play it when it's dealt to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like AJo. I fold to a raise of course, but when I get to raise with it, and don't get 3-bet, I think I get paid off more, and played back at more by weaker hands, when flop comes J high than if I raise AK and the flop comes K high.