PDA

View Full Version : should i move up?

cyorg
03-03-2005, 11:58 PM
i've been playing in $10 sngs for a little while and make it to the top three pretty often. i've been thinking about playing some of the $20 sngs but i'd like to know how different they are. are the players much better, or are they pretty much the same?

The Yugoslavian
03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been playing in $10 sngs for a little while and make it to the top three pretty often. i've been thinking about playing some of the $20 sngs but i'd like to know how different they are. are the players much better, or are they pretty much the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not this was already commented on today!

It was decided that with an adequate bankroll the moon alignment is such that moving up is probably in the cards for you.

Yugoslav
(oh man I crack myself up sometimes)

UMTerp
03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
They're pretty much the same, maybe slightly better, but hardly noticable, and if you can beat the $10's you can beat the $20's. You probably want $400-$500 in you bankroll before you take an occasional shot at a $20 though, and $600+ before you start playing them exclusively.

se2schul
03-04-2005, 12:51 AM
I was scared to move to the $22s, but I found them not to be significantly different than they $11s (even though I don't know how to play pocket pairs properly). If you've played more than just a couple hundred $11s, I say move up.

El Maximo
03-04-2005, 01:01 AM
The other option is to add more tables. I would suggest learning to multi-table the 11s first. At least 4 table them and move on to 6-8 if you can manage. Than move up if your are still generating a good ROI at the 10s while multi-tabling.

Unparagoned
03-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Differences between the $11's and $22's:

1) Bad players are slightly less frequent

2) A few more tight players

3) You have to have more money because the swings are bigger.

4) That's pretty much it.

I think most of it is about your state of mind. I have been playing $22's for a couple weeks now after having been playing mostly the $11's for a month. In that time span I had moved myself to a point where I had enough money to play in the $22's but it freaked me out when I lost more than six in a row or so and I would move back down. Now, after winning a decent amount of cash from MTTs, I am just more comfortable playing $22's and doing just about the same as I was at the $11's. So, overall, I notice that there are more players you run into who are multi-tabling and play pretty tight and there are fewer out and out fish, but still plenty to be had. So basically, if you are beating the $11's, you can beat the $22's, you just have to prepare yourself mentally to occasionally lose almost 100 bucks when a 4-tabling group doesn't break your way.

Scuba Chuck
03-04-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Differences between the $11's and $22's:

1) Bad players are slightly less frequent

2) A few more tight players

3) You have to have more money because the swings are bigger.

4) That's pretty much it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to emphasize the word slightly. Mainly the difference between these two stages is that you have a mix of the $11 players and $33 players. IMO, the real place where you begin to be able to wield true poker prowess, folding equity, is at the $33s. Therefore, there is 'some' FE in the $22s, slightly more than the $11s, and much less than the $33s.