PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy baseball, need to drop one

someguy2
03-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Standard 5x5 non keeper league

I need to drop either Jason Bay, Lyle Overbay, or Mike Sweeney. I'm leaning towards Sweeney right now, but I kind of think he could have a pretty good year if he stays healthy...

IggyWH
03-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Drop Bay...

I know he had a good year last year as a rookie but with a weak Pirates lineup, he won't get much of a chance to knock in runs and he's certainly not protected.

Soul Daddy
03-03-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drop Bay...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is wrong. It's close between the other two, but you can't drop Bay.

MrFeelNothin
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drop Bay...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were from Pitt Iggy, what gives?

Whatever you do, dont drop Bay, he is for real. All three of these players play in weak lineups, regardless they all will probably put up decent numbers. I drop Overbay, he has the least power of the three and really wasn't that impressive last year though this could be his breakout year. You could make a case for dropping Sweeney with his injury problems. If all three were guaranteed to play 162 games, I would definitely say drop Overbay, but Sweeney has missed 126 games over the last three years due to his back and neck.

Bay is a stud, I repeat, don't drop Bay.

itsmesteve
03-03-2005, 10:52 PM
really depends on your options at first vs. your outfielders. sweeney, to me is the best and most established, but also the most likely to get hurt/miss time.
if these are your only two first baseman, and you have a solid OF, i guess dropping bay makes sense. as the other poster pointed out, pittsburgh's lineup is exactly threatening, and he strikes out more than the other two.

MrFeelNothin
03-03-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pittsburgh's lineup is exactly threatening, and he strikes out more than the other two.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous.
1. KC and Mil also have very weak lineups
2. This is a 5x5 league, as in R, RBI, HR, SB, AVE. Ks are completely irrelevant.

If you truly want to get rid of Bay, you should trade him as he will definitely attract attention, do not drop him.

Paluka
03-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Dropping Bay would be completely insane and retarded. Why on earth would you prefer Overbay to him?

MrFeelNothin
03-04-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dropping Bay would be completely insane and retarded. Why on earth would you prefer Overbay to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Paluka. You would think 2+2ers would be more knowledgeable at fantasy baseball considering the fact that money is involved. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

nolanfan34
03-04-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Paluka. You would think 2+2ers would be more knowledgeable at fantasy baseball considering the fact that money is involved. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there will be more comments/advice after Sunday. Until then, the 14 teams in the 2+2 keeper league will probably be pretty quiet!

hutz
03-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Keep Bay, for sure. I would likely drop Sweeney and keep Overbay (or find someone who'll pay for Overbay's stats from last year and then keep that player).

Rube
03-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Definitely keep Bay. It's a toss up between the others, neither is probably worth keeping, but I'd lean towards Sweeney.

IggyWH
03-04-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Drop Bay...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were from Pitt Iggy, what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup from Pittsburgh and sadly a Pirate fan...

I wasn't a huge fan of Bay last year. His light shined brighter because the Pirates blew last year. He still doesn't look quite yet to be an every day player for the Pirates, although he will get his shot to start off the season.

He's not a very disciplined hitter. He struck out 129 times in 411 AB's last year. That's more than Overbay and Overbay had 160+ more AB's.

He's also very pissed at the Pirates right now with his 2005 salary. He's still a 1-3 player so Pirates impose whatever salary they want on him. They gave him a whopping $305,000 which was a $10,000 raise. He's not planning on holding out but who knows with these MLB players when they got $$$ on the mind.

I guess it really all matters on the guys team and league rules though. If he was looking for some more power, I'd keep Bay. If he's looking for a guy to put W's and hits on the board, keep Overbay.

I think it's obvious to keep Sweeney though. If he stays healthy, he's a very solid starter. If Overbay's his only 1B backup though, depending on Sweeney and dumping Overbay could be costly.