PDA

View Full Version : River decision early SNG

22suited
03-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Here's my question: How do you play the river differently? I'm questioning whether I went for the right size pot at the river or if I should have played it differently.

Blinds are 10/20 with both hero and villan at 1kish chips. 15th hand of the SNG. Villan bets pot (70) in MP, I call at cutoff with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

flop is (170) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif
he checks, i check.
turn is (170) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif
he checks, i bet 90
river is (350) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
he checks, i bet 180, he reraises min to 360...

A call would leave us at 500 and have a 1k chip pot in the middle. A fold to a 180 raise at river is out of the question... Do I want to push it in at this point or worry about AK, PP that boated or Ax [censored]?

pooh74
03-03-2005, 08:26 PM
is he raising MP with a baby pair? Probably not...neither with Ax in mp (any reads on the guy?). Therefore, im not folding this fearing AK...10-1 he raised the river putting u on a bluff thinking u'd autofold to his raise...push here is automatic for me.

mythrilfox
03-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Pushing is pretty bad IMO. He's rarely going to call with anything you beat, and always call with anything you don't. Plus even if you got paid off by AJ-A7 enough here to compensate for the times you're beat (an unlikely premise), it's a tournament. You can't go bust.

The Yugoslavian
03-03-2005, 08:47 PM
You're no 66suited....that's for sure.

FWIW I'd fold the hand preflop.

I'd also call the river bet if I made it that far with that action. I guess you can push but it's early and I'd rather not go bust here.

Yugoslav

pooh74
03-03-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing is pretty bad IMO. He's rarely going to call with anything you beat, and always call with anything you don't. Plus even if you got paid off by AJ-A7 enough here to compensate for the times you're beat (an unlikely premise), it's a tournament. You can't go bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

u underestimate the curious mind...what buy-in is this? ok, call is no brainer...consider not pushing...point taken

22suited
03-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree mythril that it would have been hard to get a call from a hand that I had beat. I also thought there was no reason for me to believe I was behind in the hand, it looked like just a weak attempt at a bluff.

I called pretty fast along that line of thought and he flipped over A2o. I replayed the hand in my mind and wondered if I should have considered AJ or A10 calling my all in and had missed an opportunity. I don't mean to play off of hindsight but hindsight told me he would have even called with a2. I was just wondering if the chances of getting an AJ-A9 call was worth the chance of being behind.

I've been playing 109$ tournys but I clicked rebuy a few times with cash instead of TECs on accident, so I had to build my stack back up at $11 SNGs /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm used to higher than $11 play, but I should have been able to adapt. Did the nature of the buyin make this an autopush?

pooh74
03-03-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did the nature of the buyin make this an autopush?

[/ QUOTE ]

if a guys is raising at level 1 with A2, what do you think? ive seen calls at 11s with 77 in this scenario... nh though and ur probably right regarding the cost/benefit analysis of pushing...nice play

Seadood228
03-03-2005, 09:44 PM
I agree with the Yugoslav that this is a fold preflop unless you feel that the villian will overplay a marginal hand. Personally I doubt that you can get a read like that this early in a SNG. Coldcalling is not bad either. Reraising is ok as well in some situtations. Jeez, there is no wrong way to play this preflop!

As for the river, I don't see any reason to raise for the above mentioned reasons. The double check/call, check/raise, is usually a sign of immense stregth. Sometimes you'll be up against someone overplaying AJ or KK, but even in that situation you might not have gotten a call.

Anyone bet this flop? I think I'd toss in about 1/3 pot against most players.

octaveshift
03-04-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone bet this flop? I think I'd toss in about 1/3 pot against most players.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how I have been playing. If I have been aggressive, I will bet so I don't raise any suspicion. If I have been passive, I will check it, hope for a bet, then raise. If reraised, I would push all-in without hesitation.

I have become a fan of betting my sets more often than not.