PDA

View Full Version : i'm going to be in new york for the next week - help me have fun

astroglide
03-03-2005, 08:05 PM
soliciting any and all good advice about good stuff, mainly food and entertainment. i've got a reservation at nobu. what do i need to wear, and what should i order? also have a reservation at mesa grill, ditto there. might try mario from foodtv's place, might try xavier's (spelling?), might hit scores, might hit ac. i don't care much about price but i'd like to avoid pretentious places. going to be there from tomorrow until next saturday. i think i have tickets to see chicago too but i'm not sure exactly which broadway thing i'm seeing.

also planning on hitting stuff like the whatever street deli, candlelight in scarsdale for wings, and float around the statue of liberty. but in general i couldn't care less about touristy stuff (e.g. going up in the empire state building) so leave that stuff out. i'd be specifically interested in what the ABSOLUTE BEST indian (mysore masala dosa, lamb saag, chicken koorma type stuff) and thai (RED CURRY) places are.

i've never been to new york and i have no actual plans of revisiting it even if i like it so anything you've got (as long as it's good) means a lot.

Macdaddy Warsaw
03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice, Mesa Grill. I went to school a block from there (Xavier HS) and never actually ate there. How sad. That said I'm pretty sure it's semi-casual, jacket no tie.

I'd say go to a resteraunt in Williamsburg, but you might argue that as pretentious.

InchoateHand
03-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Green Papaya in Flushing from personal experience, has excellent, "solid" Thai food. Sripraphai in Queens is supposed to be hot, but haven't been there. Indian I'm at a loss, 'cause I don't like Indian wedding food.

InchoateHand
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
In Williamsburg there is a great Israeli/North African/Middle-Eastern spot, the name of which escapes me, that does a wonderful breakfast. Go there for breakfast/lunch on Sunday, its amazing.

istewart
03-03-2005, 08:16 PM
You missed the Gates by a hair. What a shame /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter Luger. That is all. It's a trek though.

astroglide
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
yeah i was disappointed about the gates. at least i get back home in time to see charlie murphy live.

Paluka
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Well I can't help you much on food, I've been vegetarian for 10 years and I don't really go to fancy restaraunts like Nobu. I know a really good Vegetarian Indian place, and I know a really good moderately priced Italian place in the East Village.
As for touristy stuff, the Empire State Building at night is actually pretty damn cool, but it is cold as balls right now.
On Broadway, you absolutely do everything you can to see Avenue Q. It is unbelievable.

Paluka
03-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Oh I have lots of great dessert places if you are into desserts.

Ulysses
03-03-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've got a reservation at nobu. what do i need to wear, and what should i order?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wear something nice, but it's not dressy. Just wear black. At the non-stuffy places, NYC is very casual. There will be people wearing jeans at Nobu, but I'd go with black.

Order the jalapeno yellowtail and miso-marinated cod. They will try to force you into this cold stuff, then hot stuff, then sushi order. F that. I think the cold/hot stuff is incredible and unique - load up on that and take it easy on the sushi. It's excellent sushi, but nothing that you can't get at any great sushi place. Other things they might try to push are a chef's tasting menu and kobe beef. The Kobe beef there is not imo a good value, and again, nothing you can't get at any great Japanese restaurant. And I much prefer picking myself at Nobu over going w/ the chef's menu.

Cold: Jalapeno Yellowtail rules over everything. Tartars, Tuna Tataki, New Style Sashimi are also very good.

Hot: Miso Black Cod rules over everything. Toro-Rosa, Chilean Sea Bass, Creamy Spicy Crab/Shrimp are all very good.

Other stuff is good as well, those are just my favorites. I highly recommend just getting what you think looks great between the Hot/Cold stuff and maybe a little bit of sushi. I usually start and end w/ the Jalapeno Yellowtail, it's that good.

[ QUOTE ]
also have a reservation at mesa grill

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been there once. I didn't think it was that amazing, though very good. Pretty much what you'd expect from upscale Southwestern cooking. I think I had some spicy pork tenderloin or something. I remember it being pretty standard menu - fish, pork, steak, some kind of game, etc. - all w/ various ancho chili and corn-based sides. Everyone I was there with liked their entrees a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
don't care about price but i'd like to avoid pretentious places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go have a pepper steak at Raoul's. Or steak frites at Les Halles (Kitchen Confidential author). Or head to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn for a porterhouse.

[ QUOTE ]
i think i have tickets to see chicago too but i'm not sure exactly which broadway thing i'm seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly recommend seeing the Blue Man Group.

Ulysses
03-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Also, I really like China Grill a lot. Asian-fusion. Can be noisy inside - sit outside if weather's OK.

For seafood, I really like Blue Water Grill and Aquagrill. Both are awesome.

Two Finger
03-03-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go have a pepper steak at Raoul's. Or steak frites at Les Halles (Kitchen Confidential author). Or head to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn for a porterhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pepper steak is grinds.

If you into Japanese food and the scene, check out Honmura An.

BottlesOf
03-03-2005, 09:21 PM
The gates sucked, you didn't miss anything.

scrub
03-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Tamarind (http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=3051&n eighborhoodid=16&cuisineid=32) was my favorite Indian place in NYC when Scrubette lived there.

scrub

wacki
03-03-2005, 09:38 PM
There are two scores. East (by Queensboro bridge) and west. The eastside is a bit more classy and is more of a sit down joint and it has only one stage. I've only been to the eastside, but a stripper there told me the west is more for the younger crowd and has more action, more girls, more stages, etc. There is supposed to be a small cluster of strip clubs just outside of manhatten by the bridge. A bunch of clubs right ontop of each other. That spot is supposed to be the best.

turnipmonster
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
something that will be very cold right now but fun is to walk over the brooklyn bridge to grimaldi's pizza, sinatra used to hang there.

if you like jazz go to the village vanguard (http://www.villagevanguard.net). you will probably need to make reservations but it's a landmark and a great room. also check out smoke (http://www.smokejazz.com/) on the upper west side for good jazz.

for rock, see who's playing at the mercury lounge or southpaw.
--turnipmonster

astroglide
03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
this already helps a load, guys. thanks and keep it coming if you've got anything!

Paluka
03-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Oh the best strip club is widely agreed to be Privilege. It is at 23rd and the West Side Highway I believe.

edtost
03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
head to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn for a porterhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

turnipmonster
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I second scrub's recommendation for tamarind and also recommend nirvana which is overlooking central park.

Ray Zee
03-03-2005, 11:44 PM
the best italian food is there. id eat that every day. west coast has the asian food so eat that there. east has the best pizza, bar none and the best pasta places. why miss that opportunity unless thats not your bag.
there is so much to see walking around and looking i wouldnt miss that part either. no matter what you do it will be great. have fun.

stantheman
03-04-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
candlelight in scarsdale for wings

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal. I don't know who let you in on this, but make sure you thank them profusely. And don't wear anything nice, it gets sloppy in there (well worth it though).

sfer
03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
turnip is pretty accurate. If you don't feel like going to Brooklyn you can get solid pizza at Lombardi's in Soho. Other places to go are Katz's Deli on Houston, which is right by the Mercury Lounge and a ton of other small clubs that constantly have local rock bands going. The Vanguard is great, and has a real old NY feel with the 1239 trains rumbling by and the crusty old bartender inappropriately firing up the blender in the middle of a set. There's also good jazz late at night (after 1) at Zinc--on weekends the local musicans tend to gravitate there after their gigs and play.

EDIT: Oh, and if you like steak Luger is a must.

xadrez
03-04-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go have a pepper steak at Raoul's

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked there for a couple years after college. Usually you get sick of the food in a place youve worked however, 637 pepper steaks later, I still crave them. Highly recommended. The address is 180 Prince St. Call ahead a few days on weekends, during the week you can chance showing up late...

xadrez
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Take a trip up into Harlem for food too. Overlooked but well worth it.

Espiecially check out La Marmite, 2264 Frederick Douglas Boulevard. Just take the B, or C trains to 116th st. and walk up about 3-4 blocks (forget exact intersection). Its West African cuisine and its amazing. Cheap, Cheap prices and great food.

Sylvia's is good too, although its a bit of a touristy place. Its on 126th and Lenox. Lots of fried chicken, grits, collard greens and stuff like that.

Evan
03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

something that will be very cold right now but fun is to walk over the brooklyn bridge to grimaldi's pizza, sinatra used to hang there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Although it is cold, that is fun and the pizza is awesome.

rtrombone
03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
I like Sparks better than Luger. Stuffy but a [censored] great steak. You should do both.

Paluka
03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
I like John's Pizza on Bleecker better than Lombardi's. It is well worth waiting outside in the cold for a table.
If you are into dessert here are my suggestions:

Vineiro's on 1st Ave and I think 10th but could be 11th or 12th. This is an italian pastry/coffee shop type place that is just amazing. Chikalicious is on 10th between 2nd and 1st ave, and is a fancier place that serves you like 3 courses of desserts + wine/coffee. Only open Wed-Sun, and I'd recommend going Wed because it gets a really annoying crowd there when it is busy. You also should try Beard Papa's, a Japanese cream puff place. These things are amazing. There is a location at Broadway and 8th and at Broadway and 74th or so.

For bars ans so forth I'd recommend the East Village and the Lower East Side. I think you will find the crowd appealing, although the super hipsters might annoy you.

sfer
03-04-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vineiro's on 1st Ave and I think 10th but could be 11th or 12th. This is an italian pastry/coffee shop type place that is just amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that place. I can't walk by without stopping in and getting a mini-cannoli.

[ QUOTE ]
You also should try Beard Papa's, a Japanese cream puff place. These things are amazing. There is a location at Broadway and 8th and at Broadway and 74th or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one behind my office on 41st and 5th, and they are great too.

Also, if you like ice cream go to Laboratorio del Gelato on Orchard in the Lower East Side.

IndieMatty
03-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I doubt I can add much, but I echo the "musts".

Johns/Lombardis or Grimaldis for Pizza.

I think the best steak is Homestead in the meatpacking district.

Avenue Q is the best thing I have ever seen live. (sans The October 5th 1996 edition of Monday Night Raw)

Mesa Grill is great, as is Nobu.

For nightlife, any bar in the Lower East Side is cool, but for unpretentious bars, the dives in Hells Kitchen are awesome, Rudys, The Gaf, Swine on 9, Siberia, etc. Plus strip clubs are very close.

Carmines on the Upper West Side is very impressive, and amazingingly good Italian Family Style.

If you have the time a trip to the real little Italy in the Bronx is something many people do not get a chance to experience.

If you feel like taking the Staten Island ferry one afternoon (it's free) hit up D'ninos, they regulary have the best rated pizza in the area.

Oh and going down to Wall St. is usually something my out of town guests enjoy.

Theres my list; have a blast man.

lucas9000
03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
if you happen to catch a nice day, spend some time in central park, and walk through brooklyn heights then across the brooklyn bridge into manhattan. as for food, just get a zaggat's guide.

one food place i will specifically recommend: the original chinatown ice cream factory, on bayard. so good.

GreywolfNYC
03-04-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go have a pepper steak at Raoul's. Or steak frites at Les Halles (Kitchen Confidential author).

Les Halles also has the best steak tartare. Its at 28th & Park Avenue South.

AdamBragar
03-04-2005, 11:50 AM
While Tamrind is really good, the best Indian food (and most authentic) is Jackson Diner in Queens: Jackson Diner (http://queens.about.com/cs/restaurantreviews/gr/rr_jackson_d.htm)

Other awesome places to eat:
Sushi Samba (http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=3912&n eighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0)
Geisha (http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=5171&n eighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0)

For Italian food I'd also try:
Babbo (http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=4277&n eighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0) - which is Mario Battali's place (foodnetwork guy) and is amazing

I'd suggest seeing Blue Man Group and trying to get to a play (Producer's and Avenue Q are great). Go to TKTS (http://www.tdf.org/tkts/#) , the big booth in time sq. 3 PM the day of the show and if it's not sold out, you can get tickets to a show at 50 percent off.

Paluka
03-04-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

one food place i will specifically recommend: the original chinatown ice cream factory, on bayard. so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice suggestion, I'm a big fan of the red bean ice cream.

BottlesOf
03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
BLT Fish or Pearl Oyster Bar for a little more informal, but VERY tasty seafood.

For Nobu: The new style sashimi pwns. I also really like the rock shrimp tempura appetizer. I don't think you can go wrong with the Omakase. I agree with you about going light on the sushi, and pretty much everything else you said. I say jeans and a button down are fine though, maybe nicer slacks, perhaps jeans and a blazer, but no need to go all black and look like Dieter from Shprockets.

BottlesOf
03-04-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Carmines on the Upper West Side is very impressive, and amazingingly good Italian Family Style.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want UWS Italian, it's Gennaro and it isn't close.

BottlesOf
03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, if you like ice cream go to Laboratorio del Gelato on Orchard in the Lower East Side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Scoops on Bleecker, just west of 6th

xadrez
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want UWS Italian, it's Gennaro and it isn't close.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct...and if you go there you MUST order the antipasti. no excuses.

Paluka
03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Scoops on Bleecker, just west of 6th

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Cones, next door to John's Pizza? John's and Cones back to back is hot action.

CMP
03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I can't add much, because I'm only a tourist there too, but I like walking around the Village, Washington Square park, etc.

Too bad it's cold, because it's fun to check out the ballers at the 4th St. YMCA ("the cage" used in numerous movies and commercials).

Mamoun's Falafel for a quick, cheap lunch in the Village. Also, we stumbled into the divy "Peculiar Pub" in the Village and were surprised at their 200 (?) entry beer list. We chose Victory's "Old Horizontal" and were not disappointed - barleywine style ale with 10 (?) percent alcohol?

I had some good Indian near 1st and A last time I was there, but I can't tell you what it's called, because my friends that live there don't even know - they just call it "upper right." Picture a 2-story commercical property. There are 4 doors, 2 above the other 2, with a staircase leading to the 2nd floor in the middle. Behind these 4 doors are tiny (8-table?) Indian restaurants, all with doormen/hawkers out front trying to get you to come into their place. My friends took me to the upper right one, the only one they ever go to. Cheap, delicious food. I think there are actually 5 restaurants now, so "most upper right" is a little more appropriate.

Enjoy, and post a TR when you get back :-)

BottlesOf
03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes I meant Cones. DOH! (Clearly I'm not there, that often)

Summer night: Johns --> Cones --> Getting hammered. That's the nuts.

IndieMatty
03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Gennaros? Where is that Bottles? I am impressed with Carmines, and I lived near Aurthur Avenue for 4+ years.

Edit: By impressed is, I love the restaurant layout/decor itself, great bar and good service. The food is very good italian, and you can't beat it for the price, but I know theres better out there.

IndieMatty
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I meant Cones. DOH! (Clearly I'm not there, that often)

Summer night: Johns --> Cones --> Getting hammered. That's the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robbie ... they could have been people at her wedding! Sammy: [exasperated] They were CONES!

scrub
03-04-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Avenue Q is the best thing I have ever seen live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scrubette has the soundtrack, and it's hilarious.

scrub

duk
03-04-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gennaros? Where is that Bottles? I am impressed with Carmines, and I lived near Aurthur Avenue for 4+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gennaro is on Amsterdam between 92 and 93. Seating is a little tight, and they don't take reservations or credit cards, but it's easily the best Italian in the neighborhood.

I'd also like to back-up whoever said Babbo; that place is amazing. Hard to get into, though.

xadrez
03-04-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The food at Genaros is excellent, however, the service is spotty (by this I mean brusque, and rushed), and its tiny, cash only, and you must spend 20 dollars a head at least. Its located on 92nd or 93rd and Amsterdam (on the east side of the street).

Also on the Upper West try Celeste on Amsterdam and 84th. The same adjectives apply, except the service is a little better and the maitre d'/owner is a good guy (meaning if you go there once, hell remember you 2 years later, etc.)
Always get the cheese plate here. The owner actually goes to Italy every month and brings back the cheese.

IndieMatty
03-04-2005, 03:55 PM
I've been to Celeste, it is pretty good. I'll check it out the cheese plate.
Big Knicks game tonight!

Bad Beat Coming
03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
The single best thing to do in NY in the Broadway-ish genre is Stomp. Its simply life alteringly extraordinary.

My favorite restaurant in NY is a place called Peasant downtown -- nouveau-Italian, exposed brick, great wine list, not pretentious but a tremendous chef and a knowledgeable staff. That FWIW. But Stomp is it. I promise.

xadrez
03-04-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Big Knicks game tonight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta like how Sweetney's been playing. Layden's only redeemable move. In one of the rags today, they had a quote by Isiah claiming (inadvertantly probably) that he had aquired him...

Paluka
03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The single best thing to do in NY in the Broadway-ish genre is Stomp. Its simply life alteringly extraordinary.

My favorite restaurant in NY is a place called Peasant downtown -- nouveau-Italian, exposed brick, great wine list, not pretentious but a tremendous chef and a knowledgeable staff. That FWIW. But Stomp is it. I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know astroglide all that well, but I know him well enough to guess that he will prefer Avenue Q over Stomp.

IndieMatty
03-04-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big Knicks game tonight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta like how Sweetney's been playing. Layden's only redeemable move. In one of the rags today, they had a quote by Isiah claiming (inadvertantly probably) that he had aquired him...

[/ QUOTE ]

You just called the New York Post (inadvertantly probably) a rag. NO!

xadrez
03-04-2005, 05:11 PM
I didnt mean to insult NY's bastion of journalistic integrity.

I just got a threatening email from Phil Mushnick, apparently he wants to kick my ass.

smudgex68
03-04-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
got a reservation at nobu. what do i need to wear, and what should i order? ... i don't care much about price but i'd like to avoid pretentious places

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a paradox or an oxymoron, please discuss

Inthacup
03-04-2005, 05:42 PM
i get back home in time to see charlie murphy live.

Last year, I saw Charlie Murphy and some other people from Chappelle's Show. Charlie was the headliner, but all he really did was small bits in between other acts. He had his moments, but was pretty much a let down. The other guys were great.

Also, factor in that Rick James had died 2-3 days before the show. I'm sure that affected his performance.

IndieMatty
03-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I have a friend who writes to Phil Mushnick, he's a [censored] idiot. (pick em)

andyfox
03-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Walk down (or up) 5th Avenue from Central Park to the Empire State Building (or vice versa). Lots of great stores, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the New York Public Library. Go to Soho for lots more shopping, a bit on the funkier side. Take the Circle Line boat tour (the one the goes half-way round Manhattan and then circles back). If you're going to a show, a great choice for Italian food is Becco, on 46th between 8th and 9th. It'll be crowded, but that's part of the fun. They have a great pre-theater special, all you can eat antipasto plus 3 pastas they serve you at the table for about twenty bucks I think. If you're into art, the Metropolitan and the Frick Collection are great, and seeing Wright's Guggenheim is a treat.

Enjoy!

Paluka
03-04-2005, 06:35 PM
The Museum of Modern Art just opened in its new building, I haven't gone yet but I've heard great things. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is huge and has something for everyone.

scrub
03-04-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to a show, a great choice for Italian food is Becco, on 46th between 8th and 9th. It'll be crowded, but that's part of the fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good call.

scrub

CCass
03-04-2005, 09:57 PM
With the subject lines changing back and forth, I am confused (nothing unusual about that). Are you going to be in NYC or Scarsdale? If is is Scarsdale, my favorite restuarant when I lived there (18 years ago) was La Manda's a nice family owned Italian place. I don't know if it is still there, but we ate there a couple a times a week back in the day.

astroglide
03-04-2005, 11:37 PM
wow i wasn't expecting this many replies, this is awesome. i'm sure i can't [censored] it up really bad with 8 days here but it's sweet to have this many things to kick around. and i am in scarsdale but i'll probably end up in nyc a lot. and i wasn't kidding about the nobu dress thing. i don't have 'black' and i don't feel like buying any so i'm probably just going to wear jeans and a golf shirt or something.

wacki
03-04-2005, 11:46 PM
One more thing, never wear any open toe shoes in NY. When I was there, there was trash everywhere. They put it on the curb so the piles get pretty high. I was wearing sandles and I decided to take a pic of the giant trash heap on the sidewalk that dwarfed a SUV. The flash went off, and all of a sudden countless rats ran out of the trash pile. I jumped up on an iron gate and couldn't come down for several minutes.

astroglide
03-04-2005, 11:53 PM
well, [censored]. wait until AFTER i get here to tell me my whole trip is ruined!

astroglide
03-06-2005, 12:26 AM
i have a nightmare headache right now but so far i think new york looks and feels like a gigantic dump

astroglide
03-06-2005, 02:46 AM
i should clarify a bit. i landed in laguardia and the whole ride back to scarsdale everything looked like a dump. it's just kind of weird how everything is 'layered' here. in st louis there are old areas, kinda old areas, new areas, etc. the old stuff kinda gets preserved and the upgradeable ones get done all at once, in place. they gut it all and put up a bunch of nice new stuff. in new york it's like looking at a shelf of rock, seeing stuff from the stone ages and on top some stuff from last week. old, windy, shitty, abysmal roads. garish strip mall from the 1960s. 6 week old sushi place inside.

but i'm amazed at how small and shitty the 'nice' things are out here. like the grocery stores and gas stations are complete [censored] DUMPS compared to typical suburbia. i went to a place called turco's today to get some crap for dinner and it's supposed to be a GOOD place. quality meats, more upscale than other places. disgusting interior, just absolutely terrible. and there's no reason for it, it's not like they couldn't clean up the place. it's like every business owner decided that they wouldn't upgrade anything and that way nobody would lose business to the nicer joints.

so i hate the roads. the roadsigns are all [censored] and everything seems unnecessarily complicated. i don't mind the speed at all, i like speed but i hate complication. in a lot of ways structure wise you can see how you just can't help it. population exploded too fast and now the roads are kind of stuck pointing in the crazy directions that they do. businesses can't go up in areas like scarsdale because the real estate is so ridiculous. i'm in a 4 million dollar home as i type this and i'd rather be in about any other place, like my dad's house out toward the country in missouri that basically can't be worth more than 100k (i think he bought it for 40 10 or 15 years ago but he's done a lot to it).

so i've still got the city to look forward to. i still have hope for that and i'm sure i'll love the square, grand central station, etc. i just do not get the 'nice, suburbian' areas out here at all or how anybody would want to actually live in them.

daryn
03-06-2005, 03:26 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
i have a nightmare headache right now but so far i think new york looks and feels like a gigantic dump

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct.

b0000000000m
03-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Chola
232 E 58th St, New York 10022 Phone: 212-688-4619

Best in NY.

b0000000000m
03-06-2005, 03:45 AM
The reason people live in the "nice, suburban" areas:

They work in NYC, and have kids. They want their kids to go to good schools, and live in a safe neighborhood.

astroglide
03-06-2005, 05:41 PM
just finished a plate of the cherynobl wings at candlelight. it was going well until about 1/3rd of the way into it when a particular wing sizzled me and then the rest kinda hurt. good experience for people who like to eat hot stuff though, i'd recommend it.

astroglide
03-07-2005, 01:50 AM
took a train from scarsdale to REAL NEW YORK. [censored], what a difference. it's an opulent, proud dump. that's the kind of [censored] i like, not the 'unglorious dump for no real reason' crap like the grocery stores out here in the burbs. train was fun, took a cab to nobu and got to see time square at night on the way. trying to get letterman tickets now because i drove by what i recognized as the studio.

people were rocking jeans and stupid hats and everything in there, i can't believe i agonized over looking like a [censored] in a golf shirt (ended up buying a long sleeve no tuck though). hank azaria (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000279/) was in there. i recognized him straight away. on my way out the girl he had his arm around (aged, not a model) was in the bathroom and he was kind of scanning the restaurant. it kinda seemed like he was fishing for somebody to recognize him but he really doesn't strike me as that kinda guy so i think maybe he was just surveying the land.

jalapeno yellowtail was awesome. but i didn't care for the sauce. the fish seemed perfect but i got yellowtail sushi afterward and it wasn't the same cut/texture. sashimi salad was good but maybe oversmoky. again wasn't into the sauce on the rock shrimp tempura, a little too citrusy for me. miso cod was perfection. desserts were ok. for me and 2 others tab was only $170, i was expecting much worse.

i had to immediately take an explosive dump (cherynobl wings...) in grand central station's wonderful facilities right afterward. there was no coat rack so i had to close it in the door (figured it would get stolen if i hung it over). there was a mentally ill dude in the stall next to mine with duct tape on his head mumbling to himself and he would flush his toilet every time any other toilet flushed like the dude in that steve martin movie (ring! *flush*). so that was cool to experience. there was some old dude hacking up his lungs in the other one next to me and some drunk guidos in there as well as people talking about a coke deal. so i think i got the top to bottom experience in pretty short order.

but i loved what i got of ny CITY and i'll try to spend most of my time there instead of out here in scarsdale.

astroglide
03-07-2005, 01:23 PM
ok is raoul's a french restaurant?

IndieMatty
03-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I've lived here for almost 10 years and wear nothing but flip flops in the summer.

IndieMatty
03-07-2005, 01:39 PM
homeless people live in the grand central restroom. thats really gross.

astroglide
03-08-2005, 02:29 AM
went out to go to cruise around the statue today. nice to see the train ride during daylight and got to ride the subway. by the end of the day i was pretty comfortable with the subway system. amazing weather of 64 degrees for some reason.

statue was closed, genius gf is 0/2 on hosing us with things that could have been discovered with a phone call. last trip was at 3:30 and we got there at 4.

went to wall street, chinatown, and bleeker street instead. wall street was what i expected, chinatown was smaller and less cool than expected. bleeker street i only went to because of the simon and garfunkel song (i would like to visit clinton street and see if there's a chelsea hotel here thanks to leonard cohen as well).

had dinner at tamarind. it was good, i wouldn't file it as great. i'm very critical of and into food and there's a place in stl i would much rather eat at. interesting stuff though. papadum (offf menu?) was standard, sesame spicy cake things were interesting, lamb sticks were good. i went with the ever popular chicken tikka masala after the server steered me away from my default pick of lamb saag. gf had halibut which was pretty interesting. glad i went but wasn't blown away and 2 people with 1 glass of wine ran $100. nobu was a much better value (a surprisingly good value i think).

went to see chicago. didn't get the standard cast because it's monday. wasn't impressed. some of them were talented, but i didn't think the songs were good and the story was absolutely pointless. ok way to spend 2 hours but there are a million things i would have rather seen.

i'm still curious about avenue q but if it's just because it's funny i'm scared because everything about a play/musical seems to make people laugh when they wouldn't if it was in a movie. like "whose line is it anyway?" NOT A FUNNY SHOW. i think people laugh because it's funny "for the circumstances." i don't care if it took 30 seconds or 8 years to pen a joke, i laugh if it's funny. i'm impressed if it's made up on the spot and reasonable, but there seems to be this culture about certain types of productions that makes people more forgiving in their tastes.

after that we went to troll around times square which was the highlight for me. i absolutely love crowds of people just living life. TONY DANZA was apparently at planet hollywood. people started crowding around and then walking away saying "TONY DANZA? WTF???" we went to coldstone and ended up back around there going to the subway station and the crowd had gotten huge, apparently it hit the critical mass where people didn't know who was in there again. pictures of crowds of people waiting for tony danza is pretty good though i think.

i also pissed in grand central station on the way back and that same homeless/duct tape dude was there! mumbling the same [censored], this time the door was closed and he wasn't flushing toilets. he has some bags that say "rugger" or something on them and they're green. east bathroom, i'd love to hear about somebody running into this guy 2 years from now.

i know most of you probably don't give a [censored] about this but i'll keep posting anyway. and please tell me about raoul's if somebody is reading this.

sfer
03-08-2005, 03:31 AM
I live on the same block as Tamarind. I don't know why I felt the need to write that.

Ulysses
03-08-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok is raoul's a french restaurant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. On Prince Street in SoHo. Lots of cool stuff around there.

astroglide
03-08-2005, 01:20 PM
there looked like some decent apartments with big windows right across the street. what's your layout in terms of rooms/sqft and how much does it run if you don't mind? pm it to me if you'd rather do that, i'm just curious about pricing in general.

IndieMatty
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Go see Avenue Q. Chicago does Suck. And find some time to stalk SFer.

Bet your enjoying the weather today huh?

turnipmonster
03-08-2005, 01:34 PM
including a good rice pudding (http://www.tienmao.com/archives/000703.html) place for dessert.

Two Finger
03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Rice to Rags (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/02/03/rice_to_riches_racketeering_ring.php)

Astro, nice weather today. . .hope you get around to Raouls.

rmarotti
03-09-2005, 04:13 PM
It would be if John's Pizza wasn't "meh."

sthief09
03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
go to Blondie's for wings and drunk

sfer
03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go to Blondie's for wings and drunk

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there tonight.

IndieMatty
03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Thats on my short list for a place to watch the Big East.

astroglide
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
looks like raoul's isn't going to happen, somebody got us reservations at kittichai tonight so we're just going to go there. tomorrow is mesa grill and friday is sonora. leave saturday afternoon, so if i went it'd have to be lunch.

Ulysses
03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so if i went it'd have to be lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan.