PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods Trip Report-Final Table Finish

grandgnu
03-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I. FOXWOODS TRIP REPORT

TABLE ONE: I arrive at 7:45 am with a start-time for the tourney at 8am. A small line presents no problems as I hear them announce that they're currently at 163 players (I had calculated on 150, so I expect we'll hit the 175+ players for the next level of payouts)

I get seated at Table 11, Seat 10, right next to the dealer. Not exactly the seat position I was looking for (you can't view all of your opponents) but I prepare to play. To my left past the dealer sit two jock-type college kids, with their spikey hair and muscular builds (I need to work out!). Seat # 3 is a guy with a 3-Stooges Moe haircut and dark glasses. An old lady in seat # 4 proves to be quite the novice, constantly asking "what can I bet?" "what can I do?" every hand she plays. Next to her in Seat # 5 is a non-descript character, although he's chip-shuffling, so I give him a little credit.

In seat # 6 is a stoner-looking kid with his pokerstars.com beanie. Seat # 7 is a guy who's fairly tall with the traiditional Chris Moneymaker facial appearance. We're going to call him "Hellmuth Hater", and you'll see why later. Seat # 8 holds an older heavyset fellow, we'll call him Biker Jim, cause he looks like a biker, and his name might be Jim. To my right in seat # 9 is a mildly attractive asian woman, name is Susie something or other, we'll call her Susie Kim Phan Tran Jim Lee, or just Suzie for short. Suzie is also chip-shuffling, and I'm always observant of the asians at the table, they tend to be quite strong players.

The very first hand the Hellmuth Hater raises pre-flop with A/J offsuit from mid-position. To his right Biker Jim re-raises with pocket Kings. As it folds around the table, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but for some reason the Hellmuth Hater flipped his cards face up, as did Biker Jim. Then their hands wound up getting mucked by the dealer, and the sweet old lady who was clueless took down the sizable pot and became chip leader.

Surprisingly the guy with the Kings shrugged it all off (personally I'd be pretty ticked at missing out on this opportunity, especially in the first hand). The Moe character commented about not turning your cards up when other players still have to act. The Hellmuth-Hater went off on him, swearing up a storm. He was pissed because he felt he knew the rules and didn't need someone telling him how to play. He was commenting about how he wanted to go over and hit the guy! Geesh, it was going to be a fun first table! After talking with Hater, Biker and Suzie (my powerhouse side of the table) I learned that the Hater didn't like Hellmuth and wanted to play in an event against him. And then if Hellmuth chastised his play he'd pick a fight with him. He then proceeded to tell me that he's one of the nicest guys, but that he's just been in a bad mood lately and is spoiling for a rumble. I sharpened my teeth in case I needed to do any ankle-biting.

Suzie saw her starting 1500 chips dwindle to 600. She complained about having been up for two days, and constantly reminded us how she was going home. I didn't buy her image one-bit. I knew she was a strong player and I made sure to avoid too many confrontations with her. She eventually picked up a sizable chip stack at the table.

I held 10/10 and pre-flop raised from 50 to 150 in mid-position. Late position re-raised to 300 by Moe. I called and the flop came down 10/6/Q and I pushed all-in and he called me with J/J after he said "well, if you've got it...." and I eliminated him and made a nice profit. Helmuth Hater was excstatic that I eliminated the guy who told him not to show his cards.

First table I was able to build my stack from 1500 to 4000

TABLE TWO:

This table featured an interesting cast of characters. Two to my left was a kid that reminded me of someone I nicknamed "Captain Insano" when I played in a home game out in Worcester. He just looked like a total douchebag who thought he was cool (but likely wasn't getting much action off the felt). My observations were further made evident by his Yankees baseball cap.

A fellow pizan at the table (he was 3/4th Italian to my 1/4th) with the last name of Pasquale (and younger than my 28 years) held a pretty strong chip lead. I looked over at his chips salivating, hoping to make them mine. He turned out to be a Yankees fan too, but there were some Boston fans at the table, so all was good.

My pre-flop raise from middle-position with K/Q of diamonds is met by his all-in from the button. He holds K/K and there’s so much money in the pot and I figured he was making a move on me so I called. Flop came down Ad 6d 10c then a 3c on the turn and a Js on the river for the straight and I more than double through. I had great outs after the flop, with the flush and straight draw, but I got very lucky. Pre-flop he had me dominated and I just outdrew him and doubled through. Otherwise I would've been out.

At this table I tried to eliminate two short-stacks. From the small blind with no callers I raise with A/K and the short-stack on the Big Blind calls with Q/10 and the kid catches a Q. Then later, a player I recognized from a few months back (his K/J against my J/3 that took me out almost on the bubble in the tourney, I was pot-commited) calls my mid-position pre-flop raise with his 5/6 in the blind against my A/10 of spades and the flop is 3/4/7. Geesh!

Luckily I was able to build my stack at table 2 from 4000 to about 8000.

TABLE THREE:

Table three and I find Suzy there again. A new player had also arrived, the white Mr. T. This guy had more gold than Fort Knox! He had three huge gold rings on one hand, gold chains, gold watches, it was ridonkulous! He was obviously trying to flash his wealth and put fear into others, but it was his chip count that really worried me, he was in good shape. He lost a lot of them at the table and I was hoping I wouldn’t run into him again.

My A/Q pre-flop raise is met with Suzies all-in from the blind (I’m mid-position or early position) and it’s 1500 more to go. I call and she flips over J/J and I catch two Queens and bust her out. I'm very relieved when I take her down, I didn't want to run into her at the final table.

When I had originally sat down, there was an elderly gentleman who claimed he had been getting very lucky (he had a pretty strong stack) and he sat to my left. In one crucial hand a young asian kid called pre-flop from early position. No other callers and I find J/9 in the Small Blind. I call the additional 400 (400/800 blinds) and the old guy checks.

Flop is 7/8/10 with two hearts. I push and got called by the old dude and he flipped over top pair. A 7 on the turn worried me, but I doubled through when the river was a 3.

I build my 8000 chips into 13,000

TABLE FOUR:

Table 4 and I find Mr. T on my left, not good, and he’s picked up some more chips now.

To my right a short-stacked player pushes all-in for his remaining 5K in chips (I'm sitting on over 22K at this point). I hold 10/10 and call. He flips 9/9 and catches running spades to pull out a flush and double through me.

Later on I pre-flop raise from 2K to 6K on the button holding K/9 offsuit. The chip leader (Mr T) pushes all-in. I fold my K/9 offsuit and he shows me the A/A.

A nervous larger chip stack raised pre-flop a spot out from the button and I looked down at my SB to find A/Q. Looking at his body language I could tell he just wanted to steal the blinds and antes. Pre-flop this late in the tourney there can be a good 2-4K chips, making stealing with semi-decent holdings worthwhile. I pushed for another 10K chips and he called with 7/5 offsuit. I guess he thought he had the right pot-odds (but he didn't have THAT many chips to make it worth risking in my opinion). I doubled up.

I had gotten my stack up to over 30K at one point, but made the final table with only 12K left.

FINAL TABLE:

I get dealt the Small Blind seat, which I'm not too enthused about. There's a good 250-300K chips in play, of which I hold a measly 12K (the smallest stack at the table is only 200 chips behind me). I snag the button and then the next hand (after the first short-stack goes out in 10th) proves to be my final stand.

I’m down to only about 9K in chips with 400 antes and 1500/3000 blinds. I have one move, and it’s all-in. I catch A/3 of clubs one out from the button and push, but a blind player has J/J and takes me down. I snag $208 for my efforts and a $60 investment. I'm happy I made the final table, but I was really shooting for one of the top 3 spots, I wanted to rake in a grand or more.

Toro
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
You're featured in Worcester magazine. I posted the article in Other other topics and caught some shiit bc it's so long.

grandgnu
03-03-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're featured in Worcester magazine. I posted the article in Other other topics and caught some shiit bc it's so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, how'd you wind up seeing it? My crazy Nicaraguan friend Adam made the front cover though, I wanted it to be me! *pout*

The reporter had some errors that show up in the online version of the article but said they were corrected in the print version. I'm not exactly certain on that though, I couldn't find a copy in Leominster today because they receive them tomorrow. Below are the corrections I sent her:

Not sure if these were corrected for the paper version, but here are the errors I found (and not meaning to be nit-picky, just figured I'd point them out in case you have the ability to adjust the online version) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SHE WROTE: It was a Thursday night, only two weeks ago, in a small, basement apartment under a hairdressing salon in Gardner. I sat in a cramped kitchen with eleven other players.

MY REPLY: It was actually the living room/dining area, not the kitchen, but it was close to the kitchen. We'd have quite a bit of trouble fitting those tables in the little kitchen. *smirk*

SHE WROTE: Few, if any, of them would talk to us unless we promised anonymity. Technically, after all, it's illegal. Yet it doesn't seem like the cops are breaking through doors to get into three-decker parlors to bust up games; although, it's also safe to say there's an escalating problem of gambling being conducted in public clubs and bars. Sgt. Gary Quitadamo, who handles press relations for the Worcester Police Department, confirms that since September, they have received six complaints involving incidents of gambling in public places. The License Commission investigated all of them. There was no evidence by the time they got there (the cards must have been thrown in a drawer) and warnings were given to each.

MY REPLY: I would say something more along the lines of "the legality of these events is in question". There is some uncertainty about the legality of events. I believe that when a bar tries to hold an event and take a rake/house fee, then it's an issue, because it's a "public conveyance". Other issues that could crop up would be taxes paid on the gambling winnings, and who's reporting what. And based on the payouts at certain events, should tax documents be issued to the larger prize winners?

SHE WROTE: A week later, we hit AJ's game. He promotes his bi-monthly tournaments on his site, www.triplethreatpoker.com. (http://www.triplethreatpoker.com.), and regularly has 10 to 16 players at his games, twice a month. He works full-time and doesn't take a rake of the take. "Growing up, we'd play a lot of seven-card stud," says AJ. "I actually started this back in 2002 and it was just with friends -- three players here, four there, and six if you were lucky. Over time, my friends would be unreliable or broke. Someone clued me in to a Web site called pokergames.com, where people post their home games, so I posted on there. I'd start picking up some locals. Some people started coming from Worcester, even Boston. It has really taken off over the past year."

MY REPLY: You mention that I hold bi-monthly tournaments and then say "twice a month". Also, "he doesn't take a rake of the take" should be something more like "he doesn't charge a house fee or rake the pot". Also, someone clued me into www.homepokergames.com (http://www.homepokergames.com) not pokergames.com

SHE WROTE: AJ has dreams. "I would like to play in about four tournaments a year," he says. "I'm going to the World Series of Poker. There's no question; TV got me into this. I played poker, but not like this. It's the best game ever. My game is getting much better. I'm not better than these guys, but I like it better than they do."

MY REPLY: I believe these comments were from Cory, not from me. I like to play in more than four tournaments per year, although Cory is probably talking about the larger buy-in events. I personally am not going to the WSOP just yet, it may be awhile. And TV didn't get me into this, I had played poker before it was on TV, although the popularity of TV events contributed to my starting home poker games. I don't recall either of us saying "it's the best game ever" although that's possible. I enjoy a variety of things besides poker, but I can't deny it's appeal. My game is getting much better, as evidenced by my finish at the final table of todays Foxwoods event (I placed in the money the last time I played as well). As far as the comments "I'm not better than these guys, but I like it better than they do", I don't recall either of us saying that either. I don't consider myself even close to the top poker professionals, I'm not even sure if that's attainable for myself, but I can become a better player and I believe I can make a profit playing. Whether I can make a living doing it, well, that's another story (driving 200 miles back and forth to Foxwoods to hopefully make the money can be an expensive option, especially when I only made $208 after making the final table. The REAL money is usually in 1st-3rd place, maybe 1st-5th is even worthwhile)

Toro
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
How did I end up seeing it? You're not serious. Worcester magazine is free and there are about a zillion places in Worcester where you can get a copy. I just finished my workout at Gold's gym and always grab a copy to read while I'm cooling down.

I see your friend's picture on the cover. He looked very familiar as he was the one who knocked me out of Dan's(Kilgore Trout) tourney when he went all-in with a flush draw(made on the turn) after I had flopped a set. I never forgot faces like that, lol!!

grandgnu
03-03-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did I end up seeing it? You're not serious. Worcester magazine is free and there are about a zillion places in Worcester where you can get a copy. I just finished my workout at Gold's gym and always grab a copy to read while I'm cooling down.

I see your friend's picture on the cover. He looked very familiar as he was the one who knocked me out of Dan's(Kilgore Trout) tourney when he went all-in with a flush draw(made on the turn) after I had flopped a set. I never forgot faces like that, lol!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh. Last year he was one of our tourneys top players. This year he's sucking wind, and has been replaced in the top spots by myself and a number of the Dan's that attend my events.

Of course, it's early so he has time to mount a comeback. And Cory as well, since last year he did great but not so much this year.

The reporter and her friend who attended are both hooked now and want to attend future events. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fins
03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Nice post and congrats on your finish!

Do you have a link to the online article?

- Fins

Toro
03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.worcestermag.com/current/cover.shtml

2planka
03-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey, hey. No real names, Mike.

billyb
03-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Nice job in the tourney

I live in Woosta also.
Let me know if you have any room in your home games.

Peace
Billyb

Toro
03-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't have a home game. PM grandgnu or go thru the thread and I think there is a link.

Toro
03-04-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, hey. No real names, Mike.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problems. One of my best friends is on the Vice squad for the WPD. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

grandgnu
03-04-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice job in the tourney

I live in Woosta also.
Let me know if you have any room in your home games.

Peace
Billyb

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't live in Worcester, I'm in Gardner (40 minutes west of Worcester) Check out www.triplethreatpoker.com (http://www.triplethreatpoker.com) and if you're interested in getting on the email list for upcoming events contact me at triplethreatpoker@comcast.net

AJ /images/graemlins/smile.gif

5hole
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Great job man! I read the whole artice yesterday too and had no idea that it was you!

grandgnu
03-04-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Great job man! I read the whole artice yesterday too and had no idea that it was you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh....ok? So who are you? Did you play in the same tourney? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

grandgnu
03-05-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice post and congrats on your finish!

- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]

The reporter had the online article corrected about the incorrect quote. http://www.worcestermag.com/current/cover.shtml

Not sure how long that story will remain up there, since it's their "cover" page, so probably until whenever the next issue arrives.