PDA

View Full Version : andy's (for real) favorite floorman

snakehead
09-18-2002, 04:04 PM
this happend last week. a player had sat down in the game a few minutes before the light (indicating it's time to pay the collection). in this game, we use a collection pot, where the player who wins it pays everyone's collection. the player who just sat down declared himself out of the collection pot, meaning if he won he would not have to pay, and if someone else won, they wouldn't have to pay his collection. this is common for new players, as they usually will not have to pay in this game (I know this is not usually the case in lower limits).

andy's favorite floorman, who we'll call joe (cus that's his name), doesn't usually work in this section. but this day, he was helping out and was going from table to table writing down the collection amounts. when he got to our table, he asked the dealer who didn't pay, and she identified the new player(np). joe tells the dealer that everyone must pay. np objects, and states his case, but joe gets angry, as if he had a history with this player, and says there's a board and everone pays. then he says to the dealer as he's leaving, I told you three times, everyone pays. and stomps off.

np is upset, and complaining and probably swearing. the reason I say probably is because he is vietnamese, and the running joke between he and I is when someone asks for the players to confine their converstations to english, I say it really doesn't matter because I can't understand him either way. when it comes to his blind, the dealer asks again for his collection, and he gets angry again and swears some more, but he pays. anyway, joe overhears this from the other table, and comes back to our table. is there something you want to say to me?, he asks the player. you better not, because if you do I'm going to have you dealt out. then np says, it's over go away, and waves his hand to shoo joe away. joe says something else about the players's behavior, and this time np says get the hell out of here, and joe says at this point he was called a mf'er. I was in seat 9 and np was in seat 1, and I didn't hear that part. but that's not saying it wasn't said.

so joe says give him an out button, and tells np he must leave the table for 20 minutes. before np gets up, the regular floorman, who we'll call luis (cus that's his name) comes over to see what is going on. joe tells him the player has been given 20 minutes. luis beigins to talk to np hear his side, when joe comes up and angrily speaks to luis in spanish. at this point the player gets up, and supervisor is called.

the first point is that although joe was technically correct to ask for np's collection, no other floorman in this section would have required it.

next, I think joe was out of line by not making the player pay while he was standing there, instead of putting it off on the dealer. he knew there was a dispute, and he should have handled it.

after the payment had been made, joe should have walked away and let it go at that. I think he was looking for a fight, and he provoked np into saying the things he did. this situation was over, and there was no reason for joe to continue it.

finally, joes biggest transgression was in speaking spanish to luis in front of the whole table, let alone np. since the rule is english only, why would he think that it doesn't apply to him? if he wanted to say something privately to luis, he should have asked him to step away from the table. I think this was inexcusable.

comments?

HDPM
09-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Yeah, he should not speak to someone else in Spanish in that spot. It's LA and, like, a lot of people might understand it anyway. That's a good one, to insure a private conversation speak spanish in LA. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

andyfox
09-19-2002, 01:22 AM
Joe Levy is my favorite floorman. Was this he who did this, or big Joe (who's always in a bad mood)? I can't believe it was Joe Levy.

The collection situation is out of hand at Commerce. I'm new, I'll play to my blind, I came out of the smaller game, etc., etc. I'm in favor of this change: when the new dealer sits down, you pay your collection, or you don't get dealt in. Period.

Now I have a post about my least favorite floorman, who, somehow, managed to top himself today. I'll post it as a new thread.

snakehead
09-19-2002, 01:43 AM
old joe doesn't speak spanish. this was your guy.

andyfox
09-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Certain unacceptable behavior by Joe. It does surprise me, because he's always been, im my judgment, an excellent floorman and has shown me nothing but courtesy. Then again, I'm there only now and then, perhaps there was a history between NP and Joe, and perhaps Joe has another side to his personality I haven't seen. I do toke Joe practically every time I play, maybe that has something to do with things.

andyfox
09-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Above post should have read "certainly unacceptable behavior by Joe."

And I should have known old Joe doesn't speak Spanish, he can barely speak English. And nobody worries when he's crotchedy since he's that way 100% of the time.