PDA

View Full Version : 99 shorthanded... do i ever not lose all my money here?

stealyourface
03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Ok i'm playing in a .25/.50 cent home game and i have about 35$ behind me. I'm about to leave since we only have 4 people left including me, when the Villian, who i have covered coaxes me into playing.

I'm dealt 99 in the small blind, and villian on the button raises to $2. I reraise to $5 (bad play?), he calls.

Flop comes 2 5 2 rainbow. I bet out 6, he goes all-in for about 15 more, i think a little and call... he flips over JJ and wins.

now my question: is there anyway i can avoid losing alot of money here? I couldn't put him on a higher pocket pair since it was short handed and he was a pretty loose player. I feel like the longer i play poker i am bound to lose my whole stack because situations like this inevitably arise.

tbach24
03-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Since it was 4-handed re-raising might be alright. I'm not sure. I think after you lead 6 on the flop you fold to the raise because you're likely behind.

And on another note, if you don't want to play, then don't. Unless there are major social implications.

kongo_totte
03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Yes, I never lose all my money here, since you have villian covered /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. How aggro was he and what is your image? Unless he is a maniac or plain stupid, I probably fold to the re-raise on the flop. I just don't see alot of hands that you beat. Re-raising PF is very much player dependant aswell. Against an average player, I might just call.

stealyourface
03-03-2005, 07:26 PM
I guess i should have mentioned i consider this player to be aggressive/stupid. My table image is LAG and the game is pretty loose overall. Still, can't he be making this play with 88 or 77?

tbach24
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Given that read, I call his push. A stupid player pushes any overpair here.