PDA

View Full Version : Getting chips, how much of each denomination?

eMarkM
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
So, I'm finally going to start my own home game. I'm coming to this board which I've previously ignored and have been combing through the archives. I have no equipment whatsoever, so as soon as I get a decent list of players to choose from I'm going to buy the chips, table, setups, etc, to get it started. I'm willing to spend some bucks to make this a quality experience for years to come.

I'm going through the archives and trying to decide what kind of chips to buy and how much. I like the Paulsen James Bond ones a lot, I might get those, but the research there continues.

When I do get started it will likely be 5/10 mixed games with HE/O8/Stud/Stud8/Triple Draw 2-7 with hold'em played every other round and the rest rotated. Call it HOHSHEH2. So I'll have a max of eight players. Would a set of 650 be enough and how much of each denomination should I go with? I will have $0.50 antes for the Stud games and will need $1 chips for small blinds/bring-ins.

BTW, I'm in the NW burbs of Chicago, near the Woodfield Mall. If anyone is interested in getting on my interest list, PM me with your email address. I hope to get the game up and running in a couple of months. Thanks.

TenPercenter
03-03-2005, 08:38 PM
The short answer is:

http://www.homepokertourney.com/chips_needed.htm

Ten

[a long answer will probably come in as well]

tubalkain
03-03-2005, 10:12 PM
0.5 50
1 100
5 350
25 100
100 50

or something, I don't know

nolanfan34
03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call it HOHSHEH2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT would be a great KotZ event!

Ed, what would you expect the average buyin to be for your game? You thinking people would buy in for like $250 or $300? You said it would be $5/$10 limit games, right?

If that's the case, then how about something like this.

200 - yellow
200 - white
400 - red
200 - green

Yes, that's 1000 chips. But if you think about the chip distribution if you're going to use .50 and 1 chips for blinds/antes, if someone buys in for $250 they'd get say $10 in $0.50 yellows (20 chips), $20 in $1 whites (20 chips), and $220 in $5 reds (44 chips). You'd then have $25 greens to chip up with later, if people rebuy, etc.

But if you do the math and figure you're going to have an 8-man game most of the time, I think you'd need at least that many. Better to buy more chips instead of less.