PDA

View Full Version : Pub or Coffeehouse?

partygirluk
03-03-2005, 06:44 PM
So last night I met up with my friend, and we went to a Coffeehouse. I prefer this to a pub, for a variety of reasons. I know people who can't understand this.

When meeting with friends, and assuming that you don't need to drive home (hence can drink), do you prefer a pub or Coffeehouse, and why?

InchoateHand
03-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I answered pub, but obviously there are different moments. Just to hang out with someone in the early afternoon, a coffeehouse is the clear preference. However, drinking alcohol is my vocation, in the Catholic sense, so its a no-brainer at all other moments. I'm on-again/off-again about crowded bars, but since I'm a pool junkie, and coffeehouses don't have pool tables, its kind of simple.

Skjonne
03-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Coffeehouse???????????

WFT is that?

I hope this a joke and then it's actually a bit funny. If this is a serious poll, I'm amazed. Coffehouse???? Like a house where you drink coffee? Why would anybody what to be there opposed to a pub. You know what they drink in a pub right?
<------------

I'm like /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The Dude
03-03-2005, 07:03 PM
It depends on the friend and what time of day it is.

I have a lot of friends who don't drink, thus a coffee house makes more sense. Also, if we're meeting at, say, 11am the pub makes less sense. In general, I suppose I have a small preference for a pub.

nmadd
03-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Definitely a bar for me. It can definitely get quite loud there and become slightly difficult to have a conversation; but I don't really like coffee so that makes the decision easy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
The coffee-house I am at right now has 2 pool-tables in the back.

I'm about 10 feet from them.

I'm more a darts guy (but used to be more into pool) which I don't find at coffeeplaces at all. And I actually don't find dart-boards much in bars around here (Memphis) either.... maybe it's more a northern U.S. thing.

I really don't give a damn either way to be honest.
coffee places can be a bit pretentious (to say the least)....bars can be smoky and kinda scummy.

If I was single my vote would DEFINITELY go to coffee-houses.
Higher quality of female....and maybe actually with brains too.

Couple guys I know who have worked at coffee-houses could get as much action as they wanted.

I guess bartender guys have a similar situation... but it just seems classier at the coffee-house.

Something to said for a small-bar with a good juke-box where you can play Crimson and Clover over and over if you want.

phage
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I really dislike the atmosphere in most coffee houses.

partygirluk
03-03-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The coffee-house I am at right now has 2 pool-tables in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmmmm coffee-house with pool. Heaven.

partygirluk
03-03-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See I am the opposite. I don't like noise, or crowds. So a nice chilled out coffeehouse is great. A room full of drunks is not. I am not a big drinker. Being around drunk people is not that much fun when sober (but great when pissed). I hate smoke. Pubs normally have smoke, coffeehouses not.

Some pubs are great. Particularly for a big football or rugby match. Going to a pub in England for a big international footy game, and sampling the atmosphere when if we score is really something quite special. I don't like pubs with loud music and lots of TV, but am happy with an old fashioned pub that serves real ales, has a nice garden, and good music (especially if live).

InchoateHand
03-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Recently got more into the darts, so chalk up another reason for the bars/pubs.

I would certainly frequent a coffeehouse with a pool table--oftentimes I want to play pool without getting stuck for an upper-double-digits bar tab, and I can't drink that much espresso in 4-5 hours.

The Dude
03-03-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of friends who don't drink

[/ QUOTE ]
I just realized that if I saw someone else post this, I would make fun of them for having lame friends. Hmmm, I guess you guys are just nicer than me. Disappointing.

phage
03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See I am the opposite. I don't like noise, or crowds. So a nice chilled out coffeehouse is great. A room full of drunks is not. I am not a big drinker. Being around drunk people is not that much fun when sober (but great when pissed). I hate smoke. Pubs normally have smoke, coffeehouses not.

Some pubs are great. Particularly for a big football or rugby match. Going to a pub in England for a big international footy game, and sampling the atmosphere when if we score is really something quite special. I don't like pubs with loud music and lots of TV, but am happy with an old fashioned pub that serves real ales, has a nice garden, and good music (especially if live).

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your preference but I find that not all pubs are filled with drunks and smoke.
Growing up (in Montreal) the bars were all smoke filled and that was rather horrible but now that I live in California I don't have to deal with the that problem (Actually smoking is now illegal in bars in Montreal I believe).
I just think that when I am going out I would rather be someplace with some energy. When I want to chill I would rather do so in the comfort of my own home.

InchoateHand
03-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Lame.

Actually, I like having friends who don't drink---it reassures me that my other friends are probably also really my friends, rather than my get drunk buddies. If you are drunk as frequently as I am, this is a very real concern. Plus, they tend to have more money.