PDA

View Full Version : Extracting the most...

sirtimo
03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Bet NL .10/.25 10 handed

Villian is BB (~$35)
Hero is LP (~$35)

I'm playing 3 tables and have only been at this one for about 1 orbit so I don't have a read on the BB. My PT on him is LAGish (VP- %40 PFR %12). He's won 2 pots in a row on marginal holdings.

I have 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in LP
2 folds, 2 limpers before me. I limp, CO and button fold. SB completes. BB raises to $1.25. 2 limpers call, I call, SB folds. Pot is $5.25

Flop is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Villian checks
UTG checks
UTG+1 checks

So I've got 2nd set and am in good shape. I bet $5.25. I probably would have bet a bit less ($4ish) if the board wasn't drawing to the straight. (Comments?)

Villan thinks along time and calls, other two fold.

Now I think he's got an over pair (AA-JJ) or a set(77,TT). I discount the straight draw unless he has 88. If he had TT, oh well, he'll get paid.

Pot is $15.75
Turn card- 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villian checks.....

My Move............. (Comments?????)

I'm posting this because I think I have a hard time balancing out the drawing potential of my opponent's hand vs getting the most value out of mine. My thoughts were...

1. Check behind. If I read him right on an overpair, he's drawing to 2 outs so this might induce him to bluff at me on the river.

2. Bet $10-15. 2/3 to pot bet. Probably take down the hand right there?? Gives him 2/1 or 2.5/1

3. Push, about $28 more. After more reading of the higher limits forums this option seems to be preferred by those players though I admit I'm not always sure I understand why. I'm almost certain I have the best hand and it makes him pay to draw me out. But isn't it unlikely to be called except if I'm already beat (ie: TT)?? Gives him about 1.5/1

regards,
Tim

tbach24
03-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I say split it up between the turn and river. 12 now and 16 on the river. It will make it harder for him to let go of his overpair.

tommo
03-03-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree with Tbach.

and I think I'll point out some faulty reasoning. Often I hear people saying "I can't bet a lot with this great hand because they won't call"...well you aren't going to make any money if you don't bet a lot with your good hands.

Tbach is right, at this point you are looking to get as much money out of your opponent as possible. split it up...half now half later.

kurto
03-03-2005, 06:50 PM
The other idea... which I may get yelled at for suggesting... is bet the same as your flop bet. I think it can project medium strenght, "I still have a good hand but I'm not risking more then I did on the flop."

That is.. if you put him on an over-pair... he'll call the same amount again.

* I advocate the escalating 2/3 to pot size bets. And you will get reads on who will call what bets. If they're consistantly calling escalating bets, by all means take Tbach's line. If you find they always fold to the escalated riverbet...and you don't have any serious draws, you might try matching your flop bet.