PDA

View Full Version : Computing weighted standard deviation for $/hr

jubeirm
03-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I've been keeping records of my play for a while and computing a "simple" (see below) standard deviation (StdDev). I have also been downloading my playing history and realize that through this I can probably get some much better information about my volatility. What is the difference between the "simple", weighted, and theoretical limit StdDev that I discuss below? What is "best" in a theoretical sense and what is best for our purposes as poker players? Why?

First lets assume I have the following 5 sessions in my logs. Notice that I have most sessions between 1-2 hours and 2 sessions on the extremes (30 min and 5 hours).

Session 1: +30$ for 1:00 hr = +30.00 $/hr
Session 2: -23$ for 1:30 hr = -15.33 $/hr
Session 3: +12$ for 5:00 hr = + 2.50 $/hr
Session 4: +15$ for 2:15 hr = + 6.67 $/hr
Session 5: -17$ for 0:30 hr = -34.00 $/hr

Now what I am calling a "simple" StdDev is the usual sum of squared differences between the average and each observation. For example, for the above sessions StdDev = 24.08 $/hr

A weighted StdDev would give more weight to a longer session (e.g. Session 3) and less weight to a short session (e.g. Session 5). So for the above the average is -2.03 $/hr and the weighted StdDev

Var = Sum{i=1 to 5} [w_i * (x_i - xavg)^2] / (n-1) =
[1*(30 + 2.03)^2 + 1.5*(-25.33 + 2.03) + 5*(2.50 + 2.03)
+ 2.25*(6.67 + 2.03) + 0.5*(-34.00 + 2.03)^2] / 4 = 518.12

StdDev = sqrt(Var) = 22.76

Lastly, one could take this as far as physically possible by considering each win/loss and the time between them. For example, if I pull down a big pot ($60) after 5 minutes, fold for 20 minutes, and then lose a large pot ($47) I will have two observations and weights:

w1 = 5/60, ob1 = 60/w1 = 720
w2 = 20/60, ob2 = -47/w2 = -141

Then I can compute a weighted StdDev over all my observations (i.e. wins and losses) for all sessions. The trouble I am having is how do I interpret the results. I'm not sure what the difference between the three is and how to determine which result I should prefer. Any ideas?

Note: In all the above I used the formula for Sample StdDev. Also, all the above can just as easily be applied to BB/hr, $/100, BB/100, etc.

BruceZ
03-03-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Var = Sum{i=1 to 5} [w_i * (x_i - xavg)^2] / (n-1)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct way to compute the unbiased estimate of the variance, meaning that the expected value of this estimator is the true variance for normally distributed data. If you divide by n instead of n-1, this would be the maximum-likelihood estimate of the variance, meaning that this gives the estimate of the variance which maximizes the likelihood of the observed outcomes, assuming normally distributed data. That would be equivalent to the formula that Mason used to have posted here in the essay section, but it looks like that section has been taken down. It also appears in his book Gambling Theory and Other Topics with a derivation in the appendix. Taking the square root of this estimate gives the maximum likelihood estimate of the standard deviation; however, the square root of the unbiased variance estimate is not the unbiased standard deviation. Dividing by n+1 gives the estimate which minimizes the mean squared error of the estimate. These differences are unimportant in practice since they are all about equal once you have a large enough number of sessions.

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, one could take this as far as physically possible by considering each win/loss and the time between them. For example, if I pull down a big pot ($60) after 5 minutes, fold for 20 minutes, and then lose a large pot ($47) I will have two observations and weights:

w1 = 5/60, ob1 = 60/w1 = 720
w2 = 20/60, ob2 = -47/w2 = -141

Then I can compute a weighted StdDev over all my observations (i.e. wins and losses) for all sessions. The trouble I am having is how do I interpret the results. I'm not sure what the difference between the three is and how to determine which result I should prefer. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to use very short time periods because your results will not be normally distributed. The estimators assume normally distributed data. You really want to go the other way and use sessions that are several hours long, so that the results more closely follow a normal distribution.

blank frank
03-04-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to use very short time periods because your results will not be normally distributed. The estimators assume normally distributed data. You really want to go the other way and use sessions that are several hours long, so that the results more closely follow a normal distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have all of the individual game results (I play at home, so I'm not sure how this poker tracking software works), wouldn't you be better off throwing time out the window? Just throw all of your observations into one set and calculate the standard deviation off of that.

Or is the statistic of interest being measured over the time period, and not over the number of game? I'd still consider throwing them all into one pot and calculating from there.

uuDevil
03-04-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That would be equivalent to the formula that Mason used to have posted here in the essay section, but it looks like that section has been taken down.

[/ QUOTE ]

The link is missing, but the page is still there:

Mason's SD Essay (http://www.twoplustwo.com/mmessay8.html)

BruceZ
03-04-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have all of the individual game results (I play at home, so I'm not sure how this poker tracking software works), wouldn't you be better off throwing time out the window? Just throw all of your observations into one set and calculate the standard deviation off of that.

Or is the statistic of interest being measured over the time period, and not over the number of game? I'd still consider throwing them all into one pot and calculating from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "throw them all into one pot". What is your formula for the variance? When we compute the variance, we must sum over N data points, and the question is how we obtain those N data points. I hope you are not suggesting that we use the result of each individual hand as a data point. Remember, when we compute the variance, we are assuming that our observations are distributed by a normal distribution, and we are attempting to estimate the variance of that distribution. Your results per hand, or even per hour, will not satisfy the assumption of normality.

If your observations correspond to different time periods, or different numbers of hands, then you must take these different time periods or numbers of hands into account properly when you compute your variance. The formula given above shows how to take this into account. If you throw away this information, then you are essentially assuming that all observations correspond to equal time periods, or an equal number of hands, and your result will be incorrect. Even if we have data for every hand, we need to group these results into, say 100 hand samples, to compute a variance in units of bb^2/100 hands. If we want units of bb^2/hr, then we are better to have samples corresponding to several hours, so that the central limit theorem has time to kick in and better validate the assumption of normality.

BruceZ
03-04-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That would be equivalent to the formula that Mason used to have posted here in the essay section, but it looks like that section has been taken down.

[/ QUOTE ]

The link is missing, but the page is still there:

Mason's SD Essay (http://www.twoplustwo.com/mmessay8.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not supposed to peek at the man behind the curtain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jason1990
03-04-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I see nothing wrong with using the result of each hand as a data point, as long as you have enough hands. You are not assuming normality when you use the empirical standard deviation to estimate the true standard deviation. As long as the law of large numbers applies, the empirical SD will converge to the true SD. And if the central limit theorem applies, the error (between the estimated variance and the true variance) will be approximately normal.

BruceZ
03-04-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I see nothing wrong with using the result of each hand as a data point, as long as you have enough hands. You are not assuming normality when you use the empirical standard deviation to estimate the true standard deviation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming normality when I use the empirical variance as the maximum likelihood estimator.

jason1990
03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Okay, I see. For blank frank's sake, I'd just like to point out that one doesn't need to use a maximum likelihood estimator in order to have an accurate estimate of the variance. In fact, with a large number of hands, I believe that in most situations you're likely to get a better estimate by using the unbiased estimator with each hand as a data point than by breaking the hands into blocks of 100 or more and assuming normality.

BruceZ
03-04-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, with a large number of hands, I believe that in most situations you're likely to get a better estimate by using the unbiased estimator with each hand as a data point than by breaking the hands into blocks of 100 or more and assuming normality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get that your estimate is unbiased? You have only stated that your estimate approaches the true variance as n -> infinity. This is not the same as being unbiased, which means that the expected value of your estimator is equal to the true variance for any n. How do you know that your estimator is unbiased if you don't even know what your underlying distribution is? We get an unbiased estimator from the maximum likelihood estimator by multiplying by n/(n-1). Proving this again requires the assumption of normality.

Dividing by n+1 instead of n minimizes the mean square error of the estimate (over any estimate using n sessions, again assuming normality). All three of these estimates are going to be almost the same value for reasonable n. In what sense is your estimate "better", and how do you come to your conclusion that it is better in "most situations". I suspect that proving this will depend on your exact distribution, or at least the 4th moment.

BruceZ
03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you get that your estimate is unbiased? You have only stated that your estimate approaches the true variance as n -> infinity. This is not the same as being unbiased, which means that the expected value of your estimator is equal to the true variance for any n. How do you know that your estimator is unbiased if you don't even know what your underlying distribution is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Upon further review, I now realize that your empirical variance will in fact be an unbiased variance estimate for any distribution, as long as you divide by n-1 instead of n. That is, this property does not depend on normality. Disregard the above paragraph. Sorry about that.

My other questions still stand regarding the comparison of this estimate with the MLE obtained from normal data.

jason1990
03-04-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dividing by n+1 instead of n minimizes the mean square error of the estimate (over any estimate using n sessions, again assuming normality). All three of these estimates are going to be almost the same value for reasonable n. In what sense is your estimate "better", and how do you come to your conclusion that it is better in "most situations". I suspect that proving this will depend on your exact distribution, or at least the 4th moment.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's "better" in the sense that n is larger. For example, with 25000 hands, if I use each hand as a data point, then n=25000, but if I break these up into blocks of 100 and assume normality, then n=250. Of course, if you know your data points are normal, then you have more information about this statistic, so it's somewhat of a trade-off.

My claim that it is "better in most situations" is (of course) not a mathematical claim. It's just my opinion based on working through some examples. In those examples, you are right, I made assumptions about the fourth moment. Looking at the data, I believe those assumptions err on the side of caution. Also, if you assume that 100 hands is enough to justify the assumption of normality, you are implicitly making an assumption about higher moments. In the examples I worked through, I tried to make the assumptions in both methods consistent with one another, then compare the results. I found that the confidence intervals for the true SD were generally much smaller when using all data points rather than (approximately) normal blocks of data.

One such example was in an article I wrote which I posted a link to some time back. I can post it again if you want to look at it.