PDA

View Full Version : Operation Check Raise needs your support

Nate_Dogg
03-03-2005, 03:15 PM
I have been playing NL ring games for a couple of years now in Tunica, home games, and now more frequently on-line. Live action I usually play $1-$2 and on-line I 4-table 6-max NL25 games. I have been winning fairly regularly and have a decent grasp of most of the concepts of NL. However, I don't check raise much at all. In fact my PT stats show I only do it 5 or so times per 1000 hands! /images/graemlins/blush.gif I feel like I'm missing out on the use of a major NL weapon.

<font color="red"> Can someone post some hands (real or theoretical) that present opportune times to check raise.</font> I did a search and only found a couple of examples and they were more questionable situations. I am looking for very general/obvious times to go for the check raise. Any hand postings or general comments are greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

ihardlyknowher
03-03-2005, 03:28 PM
When you have the best hand and a maniac is acting behind you. Or when you have the best hand on a very dry flop.

lucas9000
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
i very very rarely check-raise in no limit. often it just shuts the bettor down and all you get is the bet he put in. if i have a big hand, i just lead out in the hope that someone also has something and will give me action. with a big hadn i'd rather play a big pot. of course there are times when i will do it, but it's much less than i'll do it in a limit game.

ace_in_the_hole
03-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I think that the check raise is in its most effective form in a limit holdem game because in no limit, the re-raise usually stops the better, but in limit it is one mroe bet and they usually ahve the odds to call, and pay you off.

bobbyi
03-03-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you have the best hand and a maniac is acting behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's a true maniac, you'll make more money by betting out (maybe underbetting the pot) and letting him raise so you can reraise.

Tilt
03-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I use it primarily as a bluffing technique. I sometimes use it to get all in on a vulnerable best hand on the flop (like AA after the flop when the stacks are appropriate). I also use it to induce a river bluff from an opponent.

jhall23
03-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Good situations are when you have called a raise and are OOP from the raiser.

If you do this ocassionally with both huge draws (open straight + flush, flush draw with 2 broadways over the board ) AND when you hit a set it can really pay off. If it's not a crazy amount compared to the pot and stack sizes then the check raise all-in is a good play.

Raiser
03-03-2005, 04:39 PM
I think the CR will be much more useful now that the stacks are deeper at Party. More room to make moves. I've been CRing a lot more the past few days. Typically as semi-bluffs or pure bluffing situations.

I agree with others though that betting out is the better way to build a pot in most situations.

BobboFitos
03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Checkraising has its merits, and there's no cut and dry spot for a "good time to checkraise." However, some spots I'll c/r:

If I flatcall a raise from the blinds with AK, I'll c/r an ace or king high flop

If I set on a draw-full board vs a bettor I know will bet, and I have relative position vs them, I'll check, have them bet, then raise the callers in between.

tommo
03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
A lot of the time a check raise is a good idea against a poor player who has just made a hand on the river...to be clear let me give an example.

you have AXs and are in early position

flop comes with 2 of your suit and the player in question makes a semi bluff bet (this scenario is read dependent). you call. The turn comes another of your suit hurrah, you bet out and to your extreme satisfaction the villain raises you. You think a while and call. river comes a blank. If you check here it is extremely likely that villain will bet again while if you bet at him he could put you on that flush (and if his is small he might just call) when he bets you break his back with a push. Ta Da.

Same scenario works when there is 4 to a straight on the table and you've got the super straight ie: table = 910JQ, you have AK and put villain on a K.

when you make a huge hand you are looking for the best way to get all of your opponents money in. depending on stack size a check raise is often the best way (say he's got 50$ and the pot is at 30$, if you check and he bets the pot (or even half the pot he has to call your raise).

(check raises for huge hands over pretty good hands where opponent might just call your bet, check raises where opponent is almost pot committed)

Alright, long post, but my final point. Check raises are fantastic for semi bluffs. if you have 2 overcards and a flush draw (in early position) then you aren't particularly upset to get a free card so you check, now if one of your opponents bets (preferably the one just to your right) and you get some callers here is an excellent opportunity to push.

1. check raise huge hand over likely good hand (where the good hand could be scared but is likely to bet)

2. check raise where it seems the best way to get all your opponents money

3. check raise for huge draw semibluffs (don't do this if there isn't any money in the pot).

I have a check raise % of 2.23...I am a very successful player

Jay36489
03-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I sometimes use it when there is a predictable maniac behind me and I want the pot right there. If you bet out in that situation you are likely to get called by loose players because the bet isnt that big. A check raise shows great strength and makes the next card too expensive for them to call. I find beginners dont think of betting in terms of what is in the pot, only in terms of what $X means to them. Like, "I called cause it was only $5". When the check raise comes back to them for $15, while showing significant strength, they fold.

fimbulwinter
03-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Perfect spot:

you have 40-60 BB's

you are in blind with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

non-rock Player in MP makes it 4xBB, two coldcallers to you, you call.

flop (16BB):

9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I contend that in most cases checkraise all-in is by far the best line holding this hand.

fim

LuvDemNutz
03-03-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i very very rarely check-raise in no limit. often it just shuts the bettor down and all you get is the bet he put in. if i have a big hand, i just lead out in the hope that someone also has something and will give me action. with a big hadn i'd rather play a big pot. of course there are times when i will do it, but it's much less than i'll do it in a limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This about sums it up for me.

Nate_Dogg
03-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Good stuff guys, thanks.