PDA

View Full Version : partypokercompanion - kind of disturbing

Bodhi
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I suppose a lot of you have already seen www.partypokercompanion.com. (http://www.partypokercompanion.com.) I use Poker Tracker and Game Time Plus (a free utility that displays PT stats on the table), and I understand that these utilities give me a significant advantage over someone who lacks them. However, what it gives me is information, and it's up to me what to do with it. Now this partypokercompanion software (supposedly, I haven't tried it) tells you whether to check, call or raise. It seems like cheating to me, and would probably make the game boring. When I come across software like this I feel compelled to at least try it, for fear of being at a disadvantage to those who already use it. The other option is to just switch from party to some other site for which there is no such software available. Thoughts?

fire_fly
03-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey,
This is an easy one /images/graemlins/smile.gif Poker decisions are based on many intricate circumstances and strategies. A machine that purely plays by the numbers cannot react to the things in the game like a good human could. I would LOVE to sit at a table where a couple ppl were using a stupid program to play. I think in time these ppl would get reamed by those of us who actually know what we are doing. Keep developing your game and you have NOTHING to fear. Bring on the machines /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wyers
03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm going to have to disagree about the whole "bring on the machines" philosophy. Agreed, this program will not take a lousy poker player and turn him into a star. However, it will take someone with a huge VPIP and bring him down to a reasonable preflop number. It will also cause many fish to fold some hands that they may have called down to the river because "partypokercompanion told me to".

Again, the fish will continue to be fish and their game will likely never improve using this program. They will not understand why they are folding, raising or calling, but they will do so because they will be prompted to by the application.

Every time this program tells a fish to fold a hand he would have called with or to raise a hand he would have folded, this will cost you bets. In the long run you WILL be able to take their money. You are correct, the human element will take over and they will continue to make mistakes and make poor choices. However you WILL NOT be able to do it as quickly.

This WILL impact your winrate.

I don't know if Party can implement software that will recognize the use of these programs but they need to react.

More than poker losing it's "trendiness", these apps are more likely to be the downfall of online poker. Sure, WE may be able to beat the machines. However if the fish (who are not using these programs) do not view the game as honest and having integrity, they will not play. It won't take the "perfect" bot to kill the online game, the proliferation of these tools to help the noob will be sufficient.

maurile
03-03-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, it will take someone with a huge VPIP and bring him down to a reasonable preflop number.

[/ QUOTE ]
So will any book. Even Ken Warren's.

It's cheating if the site prohibits it; but I don't think it's anything to worry about for now. Computers are very beatable at poker. When the AI gets a lot stronger, however, live games may become more popular than online games again.

Bodhi
03-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Ok, interesting responses. This is not the first online AI I've come across. Apparently some computer science student has also created a program that plays online poker profitably, and he sells the PT stats for a monthly subscription fee (I don't have the url handy).

All in all, it's not a trend that I appreciate. For now there are still plenty of terrible players at Party, but I am going to try out partypokercompanion just to see what it's about and if I should really consider switching online poker rooms.

rabbitlover
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
While you are at it, see if there is any indication that PP recognizes the use of this. And it would be a good idea to send them some evidence of how strongly some of us feel that this needs to be policed.
This is one area I believe online poker sites need to throw competition out the window and work jointly to develop a means to stop these types of programs and bots from working at all.

billyb
03-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Poker office does kinda the same thing.

I tried the demo and it is neat since it tells you your odds and outs and recomends what to do.

peace
wwonka

spikeanut
03-04-2005, 06:09 AM
I think the program you are referring to is POKI. It seems to be a successful attempt at an AI made specifically to play poker, based on the actions of the players at the table. So it really does learn how to play against you, or at least that is what they are attempting to create.