PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate my new comp purchase

young nut
03-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Just looking for opinions on a new computer that I am planning to build in the next few weeks. I am not that knowledgable with computer hardware, but I did have a friend help me pick out the parts. Just curious if you guys have any suggestions or ideas for the new comp.

Parts listed here: http://www.xixel.net/indo/

Chobohoya
03-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Looks good all around. Now you just need two Dell 2001fp to triple your costs....

Shajen
03-03-2005, 03:03 PM
any reason you are getting a floppy drive? I realize it isn't much, but floppies are dead, dude.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

young nut
03-03-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good all around. Now you just need two Dell 2001fp to triple your costs....

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my next purchase, hopefully in a month or two.

young nut
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any reason you are getting a floppy drive? I realize it isn't much, but floppies are dead, dude.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I mainly got the floppy b/c A. it was cheap and why not, and B. I still have friends that will use floppys for certain things. I was thinking about putting a zip drive in, but USB portable HD's are takin over everything.

wacki
03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
How are the reviews on that case?

I've always heard Thermaltake = thermalbreak.

Lian Li, Silverstone, Coolermaster are oll quality cases.

young nut
03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How are the reviews on that case?

I've always heard Thermaltake = thermalbreak.

Lian Li, Silverstone, Coolermaster are oll quality cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the reviews on the case were positive. It comes with a $40 power supply for an extra $10, so it seems like a good deal. The only thing I saw in the reviews about the case was that the front door panel hinges are plastic. That does kind of concern me, so I might check out those names you suggested.

Duke
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Do dual-layer DVD burners not burn CDs for some reason? My POS DVD burner handles them fine.

And the floppy drive is pretty worthless, though so cheap it doesn't matter.

The sound card is basically a waste, since the on-board sound will be as good to your ears as the Audigy you're putting in there. Seriously. If you are going to tack on an awesome audio card, then by all means do it, but that one isn't much better than the Realtek garbage that the motherboard has already. Looks like a waste of $50 to me.

So... I think you're wasting like $82 or so, unless that DVD burner (good price, I think) won't right to CDs, then you're only wasting $59 or whatever..

You might need to pick up your own 80 conductor cables since a lot of drives and motherboards don't come with them by default, or at least didn't the last time I put a box together.

~D

wacki
03-03-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It comes with a $40 power supply for an extra $10, so it seems like a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be very careful of this. Sour power is the number 1 reason for certain hardware failure. Fortron, Zalman, Sparkle, Antec, all those are good. Cheap powersupply = damaged RAM + noise.

nef
03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
My nec dual layer will write cdr's and cdrw's.

Also the OP should note that the main power connection on the new boards is 24 pin and the psu with the case may not have the 24 pin connector unless it is compatible with the new atx standard (2.0 i think). It will still work, but there may be some problems. The new power supplies have a higher amperage ratings on some of the rails(12V IIRC) to better work with the new technologies.