PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Baseball

DemonDeac
03-03-2005, 02:26 PM
I LOVE BASEBALL
THIS SH1T IS AWESOME!!!

jason_t
03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm loving it. I'm skipping a recitation section to watch the Pittsburgh/NY game.

pshreck
03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm loving it. I'm skipping a recitation section to watch the Pittsburgh/NY game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap its spring training...

MEbenhoe
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I just got my tickets for Twins/Yankees in the Metrodome on June 4th. I'm pumped. I'm also starting to plan on possible trips to other ballparks in the midwest this summer, including an obvious stop to my hometown Miller Park.

On a related note, is it pretty much impossible to get tickets for a game at Wrigley?

MicroBob
03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
On a weekend it will be pretty tough of course.
But I've driven up there from Cincinnati before on a spontaneous road-trip and gotten standing-room only or bleacher seats or whatever. And this was against ATL on a beautiful June Saturday afternoon.

If you get there a few hours ahead of time you should be able to get a ticket.
And you can always buy from a scalper of course.

On the weekdays with crappy weather against COL, AZ, SD, PIT or some team that isn't exactly a huge draw you should do okay.
vs bigger draws like LA, SF, ATL, STL, NYM and even CIN and MIL (just because they are closer geogrpahically) it will be a bit tougher of course.

I'm not from Chicago and these road-trips were 10 years ago so things may have changed a little bit.

But a Weds afternoon vs. Arizona just doesn't strike me as an impossible ticket and is not likely to sell-out.

I've made quite a few of these road-trips back in the day including the old stadiums in MIL, DET, CLE, BAL. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

to the original topic...I'm enjoying these spring-training broadcasts too.
Watched WAS vs. NYM yesterday on ESPN...and NYY vs. PIT today.

They're really fun for me because I've been to most of these Florida parks at least 30x each.
Space Coast Stadium in Melbourne (yesterday's game, Washington Nationals spring-training site) and Legends Field in Tampa (Yankees spring-training site) are two of the nicest parks in Florida.

Dodgertown in Vero Beach is tops (worked there for 5 years) and the Disney Field in Orlando (Atlanta Braves) is really nice too.

St Pete (TB Devil Rays) is good too and the old stadium in Ft Lauderdale (BAL) has character as well.
The Red Sox stadium in Ft Myers is good...but the Twins stadium a few miles away doesn't do it for me.

Least favorites for me are
Kissimmee (HOU)
Sarasota (CIN)
Port Charlotte (former TEX home before they moved to AZ)
Ft Myers (Twins)
Jupiter (Cards and Marlins....pretty new, but I just don't dig it that much)

Of course...almost anywhere you go you're going to buy a ticket for $8 or something and be relatively close to the field so anywhere is going to be pretty decent.

The new video-game commercial where the van breaks through the wall and some guys tackle Derek Jeter is at the old Phillies park in Clearweater which I like a lot also.