PDA

View Full Version : Great Pool books

Iamafish
03-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey, not much activity in this forum, especially about billiards.

I found some interesting books, which i have not purchased. Id like some recomendations first.

Whats a good beginers book. And then a great more advanced book in pool.'

-Thanks

nmadd
03-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I can't comment on any very advanced books since I'm a fairly new player myself, but I can definitely recommend "Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool & Billiards" by Robert Byrne. Generally thought of as an absolutely essential book for any pool player.

Good luck.

Iamafish
03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Thank you.

Anyone else have any suggestions.

MHarris
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd recommend "Play Your Best Pool" by Phil Capelle.

If/when you get serious about your game, instead of books, I'd go with Bert Kinister's instructional series (www.bertkinister.com), and also anything offered by Accu-Stats (www.accu-stats.com). Accu-Stats has a great library of instructional videos, as well as pro matches commentated by some very knowledgeable players.

mosta
03-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Byrne is the tops. get anything and everything by him. standard book of billiards. the advanced players book. and though it might not sound interesting, trick shots is good. and whatever he has of historical or biographical accounts. but std book and advanced players (I may have the second name off b/c of being on this site too much...) are ESSENTIAL. they cover everything I've seen in every other book I've seen (that around 10 others). except for some pretty esoteric stuff like straight rail/balk line nursing techniques--which no one in the world plays anymore.