PDA

View Full Version : Getting top pair on flop from bb

Lobtec
03-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Comments regarding this hand? I think I could have played this one better.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">I come out betting here to protect my top. The raise from UTG indicates that he don't have a flush-draw but rather got something on the flop. When it gets back to me I just call.</font>

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">The 8 gives me open ended and top pair so perhaps I should checkraise or bet out here?</font>

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

<font color="blue">With no help and the flush completes I guess Im beat but I call with the top pair.</font>

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Release it somewhere? Raise flop/turn?

mr pink
03-03-2005, 11:53 AM
the flop lead is ok, sometimes i try a check/raise here and sometimes i bet.

i would 3-bet the flop here and see how much he like's his hand. depending how he reacts, i'll either lead the turn or check/call or check/fold.

crunchy1
03-03-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">I come out betting here to protect my top. The raise from UTG indicates that he don't have a flush-draw but rather got something on the flop. When it gets back to me I just call.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume the UTG raise means no flush draw? This looks like a pretty standard 'thin the field with overcards and a draw'/'free river card' play to me. A read would help. I agree with pink - you're either leading or check-raising - if you lead and get raised I think you have to 3-bet to find out where you're at.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

<font color="blue">The 8 gives me open ended and top pair so perhaps I should checkraise or bet out here?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to lead out here. You've improved your hand and if UTG is aggressive he could raise a draw again getting MP1 to fold a better jack.

[ QUOTE ]

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

<font color="blue">With no help and the flush completes I guess Im beat but I call with the top pair.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those tough situations where it's not looking good for you. (w/o reads) I'd be much more worried about what MP1 cold-called 2 on the flop with that doesn't have you beat at this point. Better play on the earlier streets would've made your play on the river much easier.

Hellmouth
03-03-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the flop lead is ok, sometimes i try a check/raise here and sometimes i bet.

i would 3-bet the flop here and see how much he like's his hand. depending how he reacts, i'll either lead the turn or check/call or check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also reraise the flop. You have top pair, plus runner runner straight and flush draws. The reraise will do a lot to protect your top pair.

Greg

Hellmouth
03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
overall, when you have a low top pair, especially in the early streets, I would play it agressively. Drive out people with draws. If you feel beaten late in the hand, possibly fold when the bets increase in size.

Over all the play was very passive. Try to get a little more agressive. It will increase your chances a lot on hands like these.

Greg

PokerBob
03-03-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Comments regarding this hand? I think I could have played this one better.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Release it somewhere? Raise flop/turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet the flop.

Lobtec
03-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I thought this hand was played wrongly and I was to weak/passive. I think and hope that I'm a bit more aggressive. 3-bet the flop would be right and I think I should lead out on the turn to see the reaction, of course depending on what the reaction was on the flop. I will think about this when the next occassion araise. As it was now, the UTG showed JsAd and MP1 showed 5s5d.