PDA

View Full Version : Poker and I.Q.

Quad fours
03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
What is the lowest I.Q. for a winning player at low limits? Mid limit? High limit?

sublime
03-03-2005, 11:45 AM
do these posts REALLY need to be made?

Paluka
03-03-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the lowest I.Q. for a winning player at low limits? Mid limit? High limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the highest IQ possible for someone who posts a question this pointless and stupid?

Quad fours
03-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Sublime, if you don't care about the post, why do you reply to it. All it does is bump it back to the top.

sublime
03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Sublime, if you don't care about the post, why do you reply to it.

because it is moronic and makes no sense. these boards used to be filled with great posts and contanied a few silly ones. now it is the other way around, i just felt like pointing out how silly this one is. blame it on the fact i have not been laid in a week.

later

Tosh
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Sponger15SB
03-03-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
blame it on the fact i have not been laid in a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boo hoo hoo

You're like the nerdy kid who complains because he got an A- on his test instead of an A

OrangeKing
03-03-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Low limits? Really low. Mid limits? Still pretty low. High limits? Eh, you probably have to be an average person.

This was a silly thread.

SenecaJim
03-03-2005, 03:48 PM
IQ concerns are like wondering about dick size. The only ones who care are the people with small ones.

goodguy_1
03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
man I tell you what is worse than a bad post is a bunch of guys getting all worked up about said post and whining like 12 year old girls.
It's obvious this board is being overrun by neophytes .But why be such a dikhead?At one time we were all new to the game.If a post erks you avoid it..that being said I agree that wading thru all these new lame posts sucks ass but what's the altenative?

I think 2+2 should enable a feature where you can choose to see specific posters ...just as rgp.com has done.I would love to just see the posts of my favorite 50/100 posters that are in my address book.This should become a standard option for this board.
In the meantime chill out.

Chobohoya
03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the highest IQ possible for someone who posts a question this pointless and stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eleventy Billion.

ThePimpulator
03-03-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sublime, if you don't care about the post, why do you reply to it.

because it is moronic and makes no sense. these boards used to be filled with great posts and contanied a few silly ones. now it is the other way around, i just felt like pointing out how silly this one is. blame it on the fact i have not been laid in a week.

later

[/ QUOTE ]

The signal to noise ratio is really getting pretty terrible. One really needs to filter through the posts here now. I end up just skimming these days. Probably miss half the decent posts. SS forum is even worse.

sublime
03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
the original post is moronic and had nothing to do with somebody seeking advice on how to further thier game. thanks for your insight though.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif sublime

stripsqueez
03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
i thought this post was mildly interesting if only for the fact that it gives me the opportunity to point out how misconcieved it is

i dont think poker ability and IQ have any significant relationship - poker is a very simple game

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

goodguy_1
03-03-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought this post was mildly interesting if only for the fact that it gives me the opportunity to point out how misconcieved it is

i dont think poker ability and IQ have any significant relationship - poker is a very simple game

[/ QUOTE ]This is glib crap just plain wrong.How many top pros either high stakes cash ring game players or tourney stars do you think have sub 120/130 or even 140 iq's? Very few I would guess ...If there are a few they are in the minority not the majority.

stripsqueez
03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is glib crap just plain wrong.How many top pros either high stakes cash ring game players or tourney stars do you think have sub 120/130 or even 140 iq's? Very few I would guess ...If there are a few they are in the minority not the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it comes across as glib but i think its right

i think many professional poker players might have average or below average IQ's - i suppose it may have something to do with how we define IQ

in practical terms i know lots of excellent poker players who have little if any understanding of the technical aspects of poker - they dont know and dont care what pot odds, reverse implied odds, and all the other technical stuff regularly discussed on these boards is - they approach the game in a very basic way - when they call a river bet with the second best and lose to the best they know they made a mistake - when they value raise the river with 1 crappy pair get a call and win they know they did the right thing - they assess their play according to the scoreboard of winning and losing rather than any more technical consideration and they are successful players

you might argue that you have to have a decent IQ to have the skills to approach the game this way and succeed but i think it is more a certain resolve and personality than IQ

twang
03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IQ concerns are like wondering about dick size. The only ones who care are the people with small ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is grossly false. The ones who are most concerned about IQ and dick size are people with high IQ and big dicks, respectively.

/twang

Justin A
03-03-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That low? I was thinking it had to be at least 161, give or take a few tenths.

Justin A
03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is grossly false. The ones who are most concerned about IQ and dick size are people with high IQ and big dicks, respectively.

/twang

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, very perceptive. Although I would say that someone with high IQ envy or big dick envy would also be concerned. It's probably the middle ground that isn't concerned.

goodguy_1
03-03-2005, 09:34 PM
good post but I still dont agree.. I think alot of these less cerebral players do most of the things you spoke about on instinct and probably are more intelligent than you think.Pattern recognition is more important than math skills to excel in poker.I'm proof of this in early 1980's I was in massive car accident.I broke my neck and was in intensive care for months.The accident thu was severe brain trauma and seemed to effect some of my short term memory and auditory skills.4 years later I went to a neurologist for a battery of tests because it was quite depressing for me.Even though I have a moderate iq ~130 .My doctor said I was in top percentile in a a battery of pattern recognition/ tests...So thats why I always have been naturally driven to games etc.I just dig em.I'm not going to get into a discusion on the merrits of iq tests and if they accurately quantify our intelligence...I'm not qualified to do that nor am I eloquent enough..just seems to me that solid pros in general are more intelligent than you are giving them credit for.They may not have high iq's 140+/ whatever but they may be very good in other areas.IQ's only give us part of the picture..So if you know a bunch of guys who may have underperformed in school or are just ineloquent(is that a word ? hah dont know)they may have skills you are not aware of.

I agree that playing online today has made it much much easier for a person of just average intelligence to make a living wage at the game.

bcunha
03-03-2005, 10:15 PM
8 inches.

cain06
03-03-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

og5
03-03-2005, 11:39 PM
I hope I don't get flamed but I think this is a good question, just maybe not asked the right way. Sure low limits can be beaten by anyone who is willing and able to follow the correct strategy, but what about the mid and high limits where it's all sharks (maybe a few fish, but the majority sharks) Now it's not just about following correct strategy but outdoing your opponents, your reads have to be better than theirs. We can't all be winners right?

JihadOnTheRiver
03-03-2005, 11:48 PM
I pooped a candle

Quad fours
03-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Skalansky, in the WPT forum, gave his estimation on what the I.Q. of a player that wins in the "big game" was. This post was meant to find the difference between a winning low limit player and a winning high limit player. I think the easiest way to do that is I.Q. because the test is based mostly on pattern recognition and vocabulary. Flame away 2+2.

SenecaJim
03-04-2005, 12:21 AM
could you link that for us?

Quad fours
03-04-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
could you link that for us?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a while ago Jim, but I'm looking for it now.

Quad fours
03-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Sklansky on I.Q. in the big game (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1477648&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

stripsqueez
03-04-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Skalansky, in the WPT forum, gave his estimation on what the I.Q. of a player that wins in the "big game" was.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to think that sklansky was a wanker - but if this is true then i'm upgrading him to king of the enormous wanker people

Sponger15SB
03-04-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Skalansky, in the WPT forum, gave his estimation on what the I.Q. of a player that wins in the "big game" was.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to think that sklansky was a wanker - but if this is true then i'm upgrading him to king of the enormous wanker people

[/ QUOTE ]

we don't have kings in america like you're crazy country, geeeze foolio, he'd be the president of enormous wanker people.