PDA

View Full Version : Stratomatic Baseball

2planka
03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Anyone play it?

I have the #1 pick in our redraft league. Should I take Bonds, RJ, Schmidt, or someone else.

beerbandit
03-03-2005, 11:29 AM
no,

but i think i saw somewhere that r johnson was a good pick for fantasy [censored]

not to into baseball, i bet nolan or im sure some others might be able to help you out though

cheers

Paluka
03-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Barry Bonds is the clear first choice in any sort of simulation league.

MaxPower
03-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I loved that in 5th grade. I'm glad to hear people are still playing that in the internet era.

nolanfan34
03-03-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barry Bonds is the clear first choice in any sort of simulation league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't play strat, but from what I understand, Bonds is a pretty easy top choice, with his insane OBP numbers.

2planka
03-03-2005, 01:05 PM
We still play face to face, with dice and cards. I'm the youngest guy in my league (at 32). Good fun.

Bonds is a good choice, but I'm trying to work a trade for Jason Schmidt (I need pitching help badly and scnmidt is protected). This deal is going to cost me Ichiro and B. Wagner, though, so I'm not sure about it.

Rube
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bonds is a good choice, but I'm trying to work a trade for Jason Schmidt (I need pitching help badly and scnmidt is protected). This deal is going to cost me Ichiro and B. Wagner, though, so I'm not sure about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonds is the easy choice if you're playing for this year, he's got a totally dominant card against right handed pitching. I doubt I would trade Schmidt for Ichiro straight up, it would depend on my replacement for Ichiro.

This message board can be helpful for these types of questions:

Strat (http://www.stratfanforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)

2planka
03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Here's the deal: we can protect up to 7 players per year. One team is now defunct, so that team's players enter the draft pool. Bonds is one of them.

I expect Ichiro's card to be very good this year (we're not allowed to see the cards before the draft and the SOM forum is off limits, too), but he has underachieved for me for the past two seasons. Schmidt has good indicators for stable dominance. Though I like Wagner, and he has performed well for me, he is a lefty and lefties get crushed in small leagues (currently 9 teams in mine). If he agrees to this trade, I can still take Bonds with the #1 pick. So essentially it works out to Ichiro and Wagner for Bonds and Schmidt. Good deal, right?

Rube
03-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Sorry, I don't follow your logic. It's not Bonds and Schmidt for Ichiro and Wagner since you should be taking Bonds anyway.

If you don't make the trade, you have Bonds, Ichiro and Wagner. If you make the trade you have Bonds and Schmidt. There's no way you should be considering Schmidt over Bonds. The value of Bonds actually goes up in a small league.

Regarding Ichiro, I know you can't look at the cards, but you have to notice that his batting average went up 60 points from last year, his obp went up 60 points, and his sluggint went up 20 ponits. You know his defense is outstanding. The question is, who will get to replace him. If the answer is somebody like Sheffield, maybe you make the deal. If its somebody like Jose Guillen you probably shouldn't.

2planka
03-03-2005, 04:24 PM
I see your point. I have a thing for Schmidt. His card has pwned me in the past.

There should be enough depth in this draft to take BB and still fill pitching needs. I can't imagine that BB has many out chances vs RHP.

If I keep Ichiro I have to figure out where to bat him. His leadoff skills will be diminshed slightly if I bat BB inthe 3 or 4 hole. That's a good problem to have, though.

Once BB is gone there will be a run on starting pitching, and I pick last in the second round (but first in the 3rd round). My thinking was to take BB and try to trade for an ace, then replace Ichiro and Wagner with the 2-3 sandwich picks. Urbina and Nathan may last until my second round pick, and Ichiro, good as his card should be, can be replaced (JD Drew could be available, for instance).

The other aspect to our league is that a team's list of protected players isn't announced until just before the draft begins, so we really don't know for sure who's available and who isnt.

Rube
03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I keep Ichiro I have to figure out where to bat him. His leadoff skills will be diminshed slightly if I bat BB inthe 3 or 4 hole. That's a good problem to have, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

With Ichiro's OB and hit chances, he's great at the top of the order, you could put him at 1, 2 or 3 depending on the rest of your lineup. I don't think BB's presence in the 3 or 4 spot should take anything away from him.

If Drew would be available with your pick, I wouldn't hesitate to trade Ichiro. Hard to believe that's possible though. Also, since you'd be trading 2 for 1 and only protect 7, it would be helpful to know who you'd be protecting along with Schmidt if you dealt Ichiro and Wagner.

2planka
03-03-2005, 05:11 PM
I have 6 I'm willing to protect right now. Here's the list:

Definately protecting:
Ichiro
Wagner
Schilling
A-rod (a problem this year, because he can't play SS in our league)
Beltran
Francisco Rodriguez

Not sure:
B. Abreu (good offense bad defense - he was a DH for me last year)
T. Nixon (injury/limited AB's)
Bagwell (old)
Blalock (A-rod is moving to Hank's corner)
M. Young (was great as a 2B-1 last year, but not good enough to be my SS this year)
J. Wright (lefty problems, I suspect)
Odalis Perez (lefty with HR issues)

Of the second group, Wright would be my 7th protected guy. As you can see, the teams in my league are full of superstars, so it's not as though there's a lack of talent in the draft pool. Nixon played LF for me last year, platooning with Grissom.

My needs are:
Starting pitching
SS
C (had pierzynski and mirabelli last year)
2B
Goons

Edit: we use 30-man rosters.
Edit#2: Drew was on the same team as Bonds last year, so he will be in the draft pool. Whether he lasts until I pick is not certain by any means. FWIW, RJ, Carlos Zambrano, Clemens, Renteria, Beltre, and Pudge were all on Bonds's team last year, and will be in our draft. That team pwned us all last year.

morgan180
03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I loved that in 5th grade. I'm glad to hear people are still playing that in the internet era.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved stratomatic too - then we switched to Pursue the Pennant, arguably the greatest baseball board game ever, and still play it, even though it went out of business back in the nineties I still play as the 88 As and smack a few homers a game.

Anyone else ever play PTP?

Rube
03-03-2005, 06:18 PM
If you make the trade, I'd definitely be keeping Abreu, his offense more than makes up for his D considering he's in a corner OF spot. Jaret Wright is decent, but not an elite pitcher.

2planka
03-03-2005, 09:58 PM
After reviewing the stats, I think you're right. If Drew or another serviceable corner OF is available later in the draft, then I'm all set. Otherwise, I take my chances on those RF X chances. I'll see if the other guy goes for the deal. Will report back.

Good discussion.

2planka
03-30-2005, 11:34 AM
It turned out that two guys elected not to play this year. This meant that the draft pool was very deep, and some marquis players would be available.

I did some wheeling and dealing before the draft. I elected to protect four players (Schilling, Ichiro, Wagner, Beltran).

I then traded Ichiro and Schilling for a first and second rounder. I dealt Wagner and my 6th rounder for a 3rd and a 5th.

Round 1: Pujols and Schmidt
Round 2: Ben Sheets and JD Drew
Round 3: Jake Peavy and Beltre
Round 4: Berkman
Round 5: Leiter and Brad Lidge
Round 6: no pick
Round 7: J. Estrada
Round 8: B. Arroyo
Round 9: T Hafner
Round 10: B Roberts

Overall, I'm pleased with the team. I was surprised that the other guys didn't take advantage of the deeper draft pool. By trading up I think I got the best of it.

CCass
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved stratomatic too - then we switched to Pursue the Pennant, arguably the greatest baseball board game ever, and still play it, even though it went out of business back in the nineties I still play as the 88 As and smack a few homers a game.

Anyone else ever play PTP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played PTP all thru college (original card and dice game). They did not go out of business, they changed their name to Diamond Mind Baseball, and have a kick-ass computer game now. I have been playing it on the computer for 7 or 8 years. Look at Diamond Mind Baseball (http://www.diamond-mind.com/index.html) .