PDA

View Full Version : Maximum value for strong hand...

freds215
03-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi all, still a noob here so bear with me. I have found myself running into some questions with play on very strong (nut or nut-like) hands. Does it ever make sense to slow play a strong hand on sites like Party when your read on the other players is minimal, or based on the fishiness of the general competition should one push more often than not. Here is an example of what I am talking about

Party 50NL 6max, 6 handed

All stack sizes around $50 (+/- $10) except for me with about $90 and a tight table image.

I am dealt KJo on the button. Whole table limps, so do i, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: Ks-Jc-8d

checks around back to me, I bet $5 and get two callers

Turn: Jd

Checks back to me, I bet $10, get 1 caller

River: 8h

Checks to me, I bet $20, he calls

Villian shows Kh9d, and MHIG. Final Pot: Approx. $68

Could I probably have extracted more chips from him, yes. But would it have been appropriate for me to bet more aggressively, with the possibility of scaring him off with a push. My thought was at least I got an extra $20 out of him/her on the river.

Would love to get some feedback on this question.

Thanks

kurto
03-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Wow. I have to switch to party poker. I can't believe you got him to call $20 with top pair, 9 kicker on that board.

Frankly... I think the answer to your question is bet as much as you think they'll call. And that's really going to be table dependent.

I really have to switch sites.

freds215
03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
i was shocked when I saw it. I though he had the other jack.

tbach24
03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Two-pair on the flop is by no means a monster. You have to bet it strongly for value/protection. When you boat up on the turn, I fire another 1/2 pot bet not to scare away drawers and a weak K. Then on the river, just value bet it like you did.

freds215
03-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Fully agree with the 2 pr on flop not being a monster, but that being said on PP there are a lot of players who will go to the felt on that hand.