PDA

View Full Version : huge pot, couple weird raises by me

Jules22
03-03-2005, 04:49 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (26.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (18.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (18.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

PF i was capping purely on set value, plus i hoped it would get me the button. luckily it did. flop raise was more for free card value. check it thru on the river?

davelin
03-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Don't cap pre-flop. Just call the flop. Your lack of turn bet looks contradictory.

milesdyson
03-03-2005, 04:55 AM
1. I don't like capping "for set value" or to buy the button. The button was retarded for folding whatever he had for two more.

2. I don't like raising for a free card, especially with a BB 3-bettor behind you who may check raise this flop. You have enough outs to call.

3. The river bet, IMO, is the worst part of the hand. Why bet? You're getting called by countless hands that have you beaten (there's no way A9 folds this is they made it this far). The only hand I can imagine calling that you beat is A7.

Sykes
03-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Fold pre-flop

Jules22
03-03-2005, 04:59 AM
yeah i agree. the river is mighty shitty. i saw a big pot and figured id take a stab, but the more i think about it the shittier it becomes

milesdyson
03-03-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope.

moot
03-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I think this is a horrible time to cap. You're not getting enough "set value" to justify it, and in fact, I don't know if there is a such a thing. The reason you often raise with higher medium pairs (99, TT, etc) is because of the fact that there are a variety of flops that will still go pretty well for you (note that this raising is also only done if it's yet to be raised). You never raise with these hands for "set value."

And you're almost never getting the button here, plus who cares? This isn't the type of hand where you even care that much about the button.

And another reason I hate being the preflop aggressor with a hand like this (that's already been raised, with lots of people) is I won't get as much action if I hit. This is usually a situation where I'm either folding the flop for one bet or playing it to the end (if I set), and I'd rather get more action when my it hit my set and my opponents are drawing slim or dead with their overs.

This is a perfect situation NOT to cap. The BB, as the final aggressor will often bet this flop, and if you hit your set you can trap the field.