PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of "Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold"

pheasant tail (no 18)
03-03-2005, 04:48 AM
If there are any Townes Van Zandt fans on the forum: Does anyone know what the song "Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold" means?

It is probably the greatest poker song ever written, yet I have very little clue as to what Townes means.

Any stabs will be appreciated,

PT

peachy
03-03-2005, 04:50 AM
hehe i always luved that song "Crazy game of poker" its by like OAR i think...it makes me laugh

NOT sayin it s a GREAT song but i always laugh!! its got weird memories for me though haha

whiskeytown
03-03-2005, 06:04 AM
it's a song about a poker game with cards taking on personifications - the cards are actually the characters in the story, not the players -

Well, the wicked King of Clubs awoke; it was to his Queen he turned,
His lips were laughin' as they spoke; his eyes like bullets burned.
"The sun's upon a gamblin' day." His Queen smiled low and blissfully.
"Let's make some wretched fool to pay." Plain it was she did agree.

the K and Q of /images/graemlins/club.gif decide it's a good day to play poker

He sent his deuce down into diamond, his four to heart, and his trey to spade,
Three kings with their legions come and preparations soon were made.
They voted Club the day's commander. Give him an army, face, and number;
All but the outlaw Jack of Diamonds and the aces in the sky.

he sends out emissaries to the other three suits, 2 to /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4 to /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and 3 to /images/graemlins/spade.gif, - just like a King calling his nobles out to the battlefield with their soldiers - The K /images/graemlins/club.gif is the leader on the battlefield and all the cards are there....all EXCEPT the J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif who is mysteriously a black sheep to the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif family, and the Angels (i.e) Aces in the sky.

Well, he give his sevens first instruction: "Spirit me a game of stud
Stakes unscarred by limitation 'tween a man named Gold and a man named Mudd."
And Club filled Gold with greedy vapors 'till his long green eyes did glow.
Mudd was left with the sighs and trembles, watchin' his hard earned money go.

he sends out the 7's to find the guys for the game - the game is 5 card stud - 1 card down, 4 up - between two guys - Mudd and Gold - and Mudd ain't doing so hot.)

Flushes fell on Gold like water; tens they paired and paired again,
But the aces only flew through heaven and the diamond Jack called no man friend.
The diamond Queen saw Mudd's ordeal; began to think of her long lost son,
Fell to her knees with a mother's mercy; Prayed to the angels, everyone.

Mr. Gold is kicking ass - but there are no Angels (aces) or the J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif showing up on the board. - the Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif sees Mudd getting his butt kicked and he reminds her of her son , the prodigal J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, so she kneels and prays to the angels (Aces), on behalf of Mr. Mudd like a devoted mother praying for her son

The diamond queen, she prayed and prayed and the diamond angel filled Mudd's hole
Then the wicked King of Clubs himself fell face down in front of Gold.
Now three kings come to Club's command, but the angels from the sky did ride;
Three kings up on the streets of gold; three fireballs on the muddy side.

the scoop - - Mudd has 4 Aces - the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the hole, and Gold has 4 Kings with the K /images/graemlins/club.gif - the bastard that started all this - on Gold's side in the hole)

The club Queen heard her husband's call, but Lord, that Queen of Diamond's joy
When the outlaw in the heavenly hall turned out to be her wanderin' boy.
Now Mudd, he checked, and Gold bet all; Mudd he raised, and Gold did call
And his smile just melted off his face when Mudd turned over that Diamond Ace.

last two cards - J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for Mudd, Q /images/graemlins/club.gif for gold - you know at this point who won the hand - the prayers of the Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif brought all the unseen participants into Mudd's hand -

Now here's what this story's told: You feel like Mudd, you'll end up Gold;
Feel like lost, you'll end up found, so Amigo, lay them raises down.

take what you want from the moral...it's an underdog song)

--------------------

and yes, I am probably without a doubt the biggest Townes Van Zandt fan on the forum - I'm all over a couple of fourms run by his lady Jeanette, and there will be a documentary and book released about him this yr - and I'm even gonna cover one of his songs on my solo album coming up here.

Greatest songwriter ever, in my opinion. Period....and a prime example of how alcohol destroys lives.

RB

peachy
03-03-2005, 06:16 AM
wasnt one of his songs in the big lebowski??

PoBoy321
03-03-2005, 06:21 AM
I don't think I've ever heard this song before, but the first thing that jumped into my head when I read the topic was that the expression "Your name is Mudd," came from the fact that supposedly, John Wilkes Booth had his broken ankle treated by a Dr. Mudd after he broke it jumping from the balcony in the Ford Theater after shooting Lincoln. Naturally, Dr. Mudd got in trouble for it, hence the expression.

SenecaJim
03-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Whiskey, I'll throw my hat in the ring on TVZ fan. Been huge fan ever since EARLY 70's. And I created another one in one of my son's friends. But, not naysaying you at all. I'm a big WhiskeyTown fan too. Saw them in a dinky bar way back before Ryan was on tv with willie.

SenecaJim
03-03-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wasnt one of his songs in the big lebowski??

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie. They used a Townes rendition of DEAD FLOWERS, a jagger/Richards song. That song was made for Townes. Jimmie Dale was IN the movie however. This is relevant. Do you see why?

pheasant tail (no 18)
03-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Awesome to have an interpretation. You are my new hero. I was playin' loose and listening to "Live at the Old Quarter" and, for like the 20th time, listened to it about 5 times in a row to try to finally get it.

Didn't think there was a chance anyone knew the answer (or even an answer).

I can't listen to Townes and play cards. Very high variance...not afraid to take the worst of it. A couple of times I looked up to see a flop w/ mediocre cards and 2 bets per hand. Decided to bet just in case I was the one who raised. Whoops.

Thanks fo taking the time to give such a great reply,

Don't let the sunshine fool ya,

PT

Catch of the Day
03-03-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hehe i always luved that song "Crazy game of poker" its by like OAR

[/ QUOTE ]

No f*cking way you know that song...

Catch-

peachy
03-03-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hehe i always luved that song "Crazy game of poker" its by like OAR

[/ QUOTE ]

No f*cking way you know that song...

Catch-

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah why is that so shocking???

Catch of the Day
03-03-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess cause it was a gem that I stumbled upon during an evening of drunkin' random Dl'ing...No one has ever heard it before, let alone truly appreciated it as I both you and I...

I think we...

Wait...

Yeah, I am sure of it...

We just had a moment. *tear

Catch-

peachy
03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess cause it was a gem that I stumbled upon during an evening of drunkin' random Dl'ing...No one has ever heard it before, let alone truly appreciated it as I both you and I...

I think we...

Wait...

Yeah, I am sure of it...

We just had a moment. *tear

Catch-

[/ QUOTE ]

::back slowly away from the crazy person::

Catch of the Day
03-03-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

::back slowly away from the crazy person::

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHa...I forgot that there is sort of a creepyness factor on forums huh???

None-the-less, too funny.

*Catch tips hat, and exits.

Catch-

peachy
03-03-2005, 07:37 AM
hahah just a LIL

PoBoy321
03-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Are you serious? You don't know anyone else who knows "Crazy Game of Poker"? I've been listening to OAR for like 4 years. They're an amazing band. Crazy Game was the first song of theirs I ever heard. I know lots of people who loves their stuff. Are you serious? No one else? Not a single person knows OAR? Wow, maybe I just have a weird group of friends, but everyone I know loves them.

peachy
03-03-2005, 07:48 AM
honestly not alot of people know about thme here...i heard this song from a guy friend of mine just b/c he likes it (hes not into poker or anything) and we went on a long trip and he was like here i burned this song cause i thought it would make ya laugh...so without him i wouldnt have known it

thatpfunk
03-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Po

I really thought it was sarcastic at first, but then it became so sincere... I thought everyone knew it as well.

Catch of the Day
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
What are some other good songs I could Dl?

Catch-

whiskeytown
03-03-2005, 08:01 AM
ah, I'm a much younger fan - hell...wasn't born till 72.

And wouldn't have been a fan till after he died, though I guess those last live shows weren't much to see....

I actually love WT, hate Ryan Adams - except for heartbreaker, he's become a [censored] wanker - yes, we know you sleep with actresses, now STFU - LOL

RB

whiskeytown
03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
at one time, I had links to 6 or 7 days of songwriting classes that Steve Earle taught in Chicago.

Being a disciple of TVZ, Steve naturally taught one night on Townes, and at one point they discuss the song and what each player had, but I didn't remember till I pulled it back up and read thru it...once you read it, it becomes a lot easier.

You can see why I think it's the greatest poker song out there. Anyone can write a stupid gambling song and use stupid poker cliches, but to take the whole game/deck of cards and turn them into characters planning a battle on the field like kings and nobles, that's just [censored] brilliant.

we're always thinking poker players are like some samurai or gunfighters, doing battle with each other with cards as weapons, but maybe it's the cards doing the fighting and we're just their tools /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

SenecaJim
03-03-2005, 10:11 AM
yes, my son and new fan friend were born '76. I saw townes at a really cool place called the southgate house about 2 years before he died.(wiht Guy). It was all I could do to keep from crying, he was so sad.

I talked to Dave Olney one night after show at soughtgate and expressed my smypathies as a fan and he and Dave were close friends. Olney told me " I don't know where he is now, but he has to be happier wherever he is." Townes is the orgingal heartbreaker, not for girls, but for the human condition. Like Townes said " The only real music is the blues, all the rest is just zippity-do-dah".

SenecaJim
03-03-2005, 10:15 AM
FWIW, i agree wholeheartedly about whiskeytown and ryan statement. He still grabs me once in awhile but he DID become a wanker. I'm still cutting him some slack though. I think he is a brilliant songwriter and was at a very early age. He will go through some stages. I'm not puttin him in Bobby's (dylan) class, but bobby D. could act like a real wanker at times, comes with the type of mind and the sudden success i believe. He still might come through on other end, don't give up on him.

pheasant tail (no 18)
03-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I actually met TVZ a couple of times. Not that big of an accomplishment if you are persistent. Once (the main time) was after a public radio show early Sunday afternoon. He was so cool. Very gracious. Rapped w/ us for 15 minutes. Recited poetry. What a thrill. His hands were totally shaking. I think he really needed a belt.

Last time I saw him was in 97, I think, the summer before he died. I had to miss the first set bc. there was no online poker then and I had to wait tables. When I got there he was so bombed that all he wanted to do was tell jokes. He was deleriously happy. He didn't play one song that he had written. Only about ten covers. Writing was on the wall.

At his tribute at the bottom line, which I hope you both have heard, it was pretty chilling what JTVZ said. After JDG et al. kept pontificating about the loss, JT was like, man he was in pain...he's in a better place. Too bad for US.

Man, JT's "The highway kind" was haunting. Wow. If that wouldn't get you, only Britney Spears could.

PT

mmbt0ne
03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever been on a college campus?

kyro
03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Most of the people on my floor have heard of it.

SenecaJim
03-03-2005, 03:57 PM
you were close. probably summer of "96. He died New YEars Day 1997. Like Hank.

lucas9000
03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
i'm going to check out some of his music now. any recommendations on where to start?

btw... this line has me wondering
"Now Mudd, he checked, and Gold bet all; Mudd he raised, and Gold did call "
so they're playing pot limit? gold bet the pot, which allowed mudd to raise him all-in because of the size of the pot, and gold called...? if it's no limit this line makes no sense. /nerd

pheasant tail (no 18)
03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw... this line has me wondering
"Now Mudd, he checked, and Gold bet all; Mudd he raised, and Gold did call "
so they're playing pot limit? gold bet the pot, which allowed mudd to raise him all-in because of the size of the pot, and gold called...? if it's no limit this line makes no sense. /nerd

[/ QUOTE ]

He intros it as no-limit. Hopefully we can forgive Townes if he couldn't find a word that rhymed w/ "call" that was more precise.

Boy where to start. Whiskeytown may have a different idea, but I think a good starting point would be "The Highway Kind", a live album. But it doesn't have Mudd and Gold on it. ("The High, Low and in Between" does) He's a genius, you cannot go too wrong w/ anything, but in my opinion, the less produced the better.

Enjoy,

PT

whiskeytown
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Live at the Old Quarter - a double live album from '76 - it's on CD

Just him acoustic and live - lots of best songs, a couple covers, but nothing you'd recognize - great quality, and in the mid 70's, when he was in his prime, vocal/guitar wise -

plus it's got a lot of good jokes on it...LOL

----------
the best live album though is Rear View Mirror - he's backed by another guitar and a fiddle,and it really gives some great body/life to the tunes. - most of the other stuff though was released by his agent/producer/friend Kevin Eggers and it's pretty shaky stuff - him and the widow are having a gawd awful fight about whether he's allowed to do that He's sorta diluting the legacy of Townes by releasing subpar live recordings...

He even released a Rear View Mirror vol. 2 that is nowhere near as good as the original....dickhead.

RB

lucas9000
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i appreciate it. it's the next cd i order from amazon.

crosse91
03-03-2005, 07:41 PM
actually Loretta is making its rounds on radio here in austin, and i think Pancho and Lefty is pretty recognizable-
BTW-Townes is the shi... i've only been listening to him for a year or two, but he's incredible. His finger picking is also a joy to play, and has helped out with some of the older delta blues i like to play as well. Regardless-i am probably the youngest TVZ fan here, but i dig all kinds of older music.

The thing that amazes me the most about TVZ is not only his lyrics (GOD DAMN) but the chords and melodies he puts together-when you get to sit down and play them its amazing the effect it has you

Townes was a great original, and if you ever pick up a guitar-LEARN some of his songs-you won't be dissapointed

"THe swimming hole was full of rum, i tried to find out why;
All i learned was this my friend, you've got to swim before you fly"

crosse91
03-03-2005, 07:43 PM
OAR is a pretty popular band these days...most have heard of this song (at least around here), i don't care for the saxophone solos too much tho (Or is that dispatch-i get the 2 confused)

cnfuzzd
03-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I enjoy oar, and have several of their songs dl'ed. Crazy gme of poker is excellent.

peace

john nickle

SenecaJim
03-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Deifinitely Live at the Old Quarter in hOuston..my vinyl was shot, went to buy cd (single, some missing) and some guy bought it off shelf in front of me. Searched for it for 3 years, finally found one place on net, Bear records outta germany.
\

Good news was that rereleased as double, all orig's on it. the old tomato label had cut some like they did to Little Feat when dropped Don't Bogart that Joing off Goodbye Columbus /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SenecaJim
03-04-2005, 12:33 AM
BTW, it's easily findable now. This was right when it was rereleased back 99 or thereabouts.

lucas9000
06-08-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i finally picked this up today. thanks again for the recommendation...great stuff. i was a little confused about the two versions available though. a uk version and a us version. i ended up getting the us version. any difference (other than the record labels)?