PDA

View Full Version : Turn Bluff.

Jeff W
03-03-2005, 03:21 AM
I am leaving out the reads, because I think they're irrelevant in this situation. Should I bet the turn or take the free card to my 2-outer?

Preflop: Jeff is Button with 2c, 2s.
UTG calls, MP calls, 1 fold, Jeff calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3d, 8h, Jd (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Jeff checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) Ah (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Jeff bets...

Chobohoya
03-03-2005, 03:49 AM
The pot is so small, I don't think it's worth fighting over. I would just check the turn.

Michael Davis
03-03-2005, 03:53 AM
I don't think you're bluffing. There's also a good enough chance you'll fold out a 3.

-Michael

Jeff W
03-03-2005, 04:05 AM
My title is misleading. I wouldn't make this play without some showdown value.

Good points and this was my thought process when I bet.

kiddo
03-03-2005, 04:10 AM
why dont u bet flop? If not, turnbet is good, if they dont have A u will sometimes take it down.

Joe Tall
03-03-2005, 04:43 AM
I think you picked the perfect spot for it and there may be the smallest value in it as it's not a 'bluff'. The folding equity of a small piece of the flop is huge.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Michael Davis
03-03-2005, 04:49 AM
Betting the flop is a pretty futile exercise because the fact that it got checked around doesn't mean nobody has a piece. Plus, with a J and 8 out there people will find ways to call with straight draws and overcards and such.

On the turn, when it gets checked around again, you can be more certain nobody has anything. An A is actually not too good of a card because somebody with a J or 8 who checked the flop trying to checkraise might be scared and now check again, but all-in-all you'll take this pot down enough.

-Michael

Jeff W
03-03-2005, 04:51 AM
I considered a flop bet, but decided against it. I think that I don't fold out live draws often enough and I think that I end up getting bet off my hand on later streets quite often.

A J-8 flop is reasonably coordinated and many limping hands flopped a reasonable draw. If the flop was 9-4-4 or K-7-3, I would strongly consider betting.